AT&T Now Owns Crunchyroll

Andi

AT&T has Acquired the full ownership of otter media
source
cordcuttersnews.com

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-now-owns-crunchyroll-fullscreen-more/

and variety.com

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/att-buys-out-chernin-groups-stake-in-otter-media-1202898339/

for some reason I have a bad feeling about this to be honest

Edited by Andi
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Andi said:

AT&T has Acquired the full ownership of otter media
source
cordcuttersnews.com

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-now-owns-crunchyroll-fullscreen-more/

and variety.com

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/att-buys-out-chernin-groups-stake-in-otter-media-1202898339/

for some reason I have a bad feeling about this to be honest

Maybe some good will come?

Time Warner Cable / Spectrum has had the monopoly in my neighborhood for like a decade or longer. AT&T got them a few months ago and immediately started moving into my neighborhood.

Now I'm enjoying fiber thanks to AT&T bringing AT&T Fiber. Cheaper than what I was paying TWC/Spectrum also (Well, slightly)... was paying like $80 (+tax) for 60 Mbps Down & 5 Mbps Up then they suddenly killed off the 60 Mbps plan and forced their 100 Mbps Down & 10 Mbps Up plan on me which I think was like $95 + tax. AT&T Fiber 1000/1000 here is $90 (First year, then goes up to $100) and I haven't seen any tax (Only been a month but my first bill had no tax or surcharges. Not sure if it's a promo thing or not... I was told by a AT&T Live Chat representative to expect like 10-15% in taxes, so maybe it just hasn't reared its head yet? Definitely not gonna say anything though, lol.)

JQHuibp.png

It's more typically 940/940 though, I remember in their fineprint they mentioned about expecting 940~ Mbps due to needing overhead to deliver the data to you. Would be great if that "overhead" was on their end instead of yours but can't complain I guess, lol. They warn you (assuming you read fine print) upfront, so...

They brought Fiber into my neighborhood, so maybe they'll do something good with these acquisitions as well? Cheaper subscription prices or something?

Edited by RyanEsau

AT&T has had a majority share in Crunchyroll since way back in April of 2014.

On April 22, 2014, AT&T and The Chernin Group announced the formation of a joint venture to acquire, invest in and launch over-the-top (OTT) video services. Both companies committed over $500 million in funding to the venture. The new company was named Otter Media and became the majority owner of Crunchyroll.

In January 2018, Otter Media who bought out the remaining shares (20%) of Crunchyroll from TV Tokyo and other investors. In August 2018, WarnerMedia acquired Otter Media.

So the only new event is that the portion of the Otter Media company that The Chernin Group owned was bought out by AT&T under the WernerMedia brand.

Also btw, Otter Media owns the VRV service too.

So basically Crunchyroll is a subsidiary of Ellation, part of WarnerMedia's Otter Media, which is owned by AT&T.

And if that somehow concerns you, just know Sony owns 95% of FUNimation since last year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Koby said:

Nothing has really changed in the 4 years...

That's the thing about getting bought by a larger company. Sometimes the larger company doesn't understand the market and winds up ruining the business, other times you would be hard pressed to notice anything different. I guess the good thing would be that they are less likely than before to run out of resources and disappear (not that that was a major concern, though.)