Why Has Animation Quality Tanked In Super?

Ryder1337

Super overall has had terrible art and low grade animation, with only a handful of episodes being done really nicely. It's simply Toei's trademark to make episodes as quick and cheaply as possible and then slightly touch them up on Blu-ray. Heck Super episode 5 via TV airing was utterly ridiculous (look it up on Google for comparisons).

Ooze-Vegeta/Duplicate-Vegeta whatever they called it, that entire arc was extremely filler-like quality amongst a series that has mostly seemed like filler to begin with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep. That's the Toei curse.

On 22/02/2018 at 11:00 PM, Ryder1337 said:

Does quality improve, or should I jump on the manga bandwagon?

If the show is based on the manga, than most of the show is filler since the manga jumps right into the universe tournament arc after the first two super movies (unless I'm remembering it wrong)

I can't recommend the manga. It's not drawn by Akira Toriyama so the drawings aren't as good and the panel/action shots aren't exciting.

There's some nice animated action here and there in the tournament arc. So maybe check that out at the very least. The improved art from BD's is pretty far along and probably in that arc right now.

12 minutes ago, EmptyBasket said:

If the show is based on the manga

The DBS anime is not based on the DBS manga and the manga is not based on the anime. Both are considered their own thing with their own "canon".

Same thing with the Boruto anime and manga.

In this way, the original creator gives them broad guidelines to follow and the rest is pretty much free reign for those in charge to do as they please. So while the basis of the story remains mostly the same, there will be some differences between them. In Boruto's case, they even introduced characters that the manga didn't have, only for the manga to include them later on.

5 minutes ago, EmptyBasket said:

Oh snap!

Hide contents

(Resurrecting 2004)

It seems we've got a little western comics/movie influence going on here.

Have any other eastern authors done this or is this relatively recent?

Not any that I personally am I aware of or follow, but that isn't to say there isn't any, I just don't know about them.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Wormlust said:

This is why I miss 90s anime 

Do you really? I have watched a lot of 90's anime and most of it has shit animation compared today. Same with the 80's. There are a few great series and movies with a lot of character and an aesthetic I enjoy but that is by far the minority.

Animation quality has not tanked. People who think so are either deluded, have not watched a fair sample of anime from each decade, only the remembering the good, blinded by nostalgia, etc. 

Edited by Zachimillius