.hack//G.U. Last Recode PS4/PC Game Heads West in 2017

Koby

Bandai Namco Entertainment America announced on Tuesday that it will release the .hack//G.U. Last Recode game for PlayStation 4 and PC in North America in late 2017. The company began streaming an English version of the game's first promotional video, which Bandai Namco Entertainment also began streaming in Japanese on Tuesday.

The game is also slated to ship in Europe in late 2017. The game will be available both physically and digitally for PlayStation 4, as well as for PC via Steam. The game's official Japanese website does not list a release date for the game in Japan.

Bandai Namco Entertainment filed a trademark for ".hack//G.U. Last Recode" in the United States on June 14 after filing a trademark for the game in Europe on June 13.

f9xb8LJ.jpg

Kadokawa's Weekly Famitsu magazine revealed the action role-playing game last week. The release will include remastered and enhanced versions of the .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth, .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce, and .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption games. The HD remaster marks the .hack series' 15th anniversary.

JpGnVat.jpgThe game will feature new elements that “make it feel like a new game.” The full-HD remaster will have high-definition movies, including all movies from the Terminal Disk that bundled with the special edition of .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth. System improvements will include an added retry function, Cheat Mode, and rebalanced avatar battles. The release will increase movement speed, item slots, battle tempo, Skeith's shooting speed, and other systems. In addition, "Haseo with an unfamiliar look" will appear.

The magazine will feature an interview with .hack// and .hack//G.U. producer and current Bandai Namco Entertainment executive Daisuke Uchiyama. The interview also features CyberConnect2 CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama, who is working on the remaster. The interview reveals that the company decided to make a remaster to introduce a new generation of players to the series. All three volumes of the original game will be playable in the remaster. In addition to the series' 15th anniversary, this year marks 10 years since the end of .hack//G.U. and is also the year that the game's story is set in.

The original .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth role-playing game shipped for PlayStation 2 in Japan and North America in 2006. .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce shipped in Japan in 2006 and in North America in 2007. .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption shipped in Japan and North America in 2007. The games inspired a manga, light novel, and the .hack//G.U. Trilogy anime film. Bandai Entertainment and Funimation released the anime on DVD in North America.

• Like 1

Just now, Tanis said:

I still have the originals, but it is nice to see such a fantastic group of games getting some remastered love.

Now, if only, Atlus would release some kind of 'MegaTen' collection.

Would love to see the Shadow Hearts franchise receive the remaster love.

Heck even The Legend of Dragoon would be a welcome edition to bring to a new era of gaming fans.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I so want this and plan on buying as soon as possible, even looking forward to it more than Final Fantasy 15. Especially after trying the demo for Final Fantasy 15 as it was a little meh too me, couldn't get into it much while I know Dot Hack is awesome from playing the original GU on the PS2 and with them included with this new one, it is well worth the price.

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, OKAMI-aniki said:

Still wondering if I should watch the anime or play the game

Why not both? .hack//Roots is a 26-episode anime series, animated by studio Bee Train, that sets as a prologue for the .hack//G.U. video games and is set seven years after the events of the first two anime series and games.

Cyberconnect2 also produced a computer animated film adaptation of the .hack//G.U. game series titled .hack//G.U. Trilogy that takes numerous liberties with the story.

In fact, I'd recommend watching pretty much all of the .hack// anime series as they really started the isekai anime genre. .hack//SIGN is definitely my favorite though.

• Like 2