What is your preferred method of streaming/watching your content?

noob447

Personally, I hate watching things on my pc, even with a large screen. I like to feel as immersed as possible with lights off, surround sound, and a comfy couch or chair. I am very happy with Plex Media Server streaming to my living room but I plan on building an htpc in the near future. Hopefully building an nas box as well!

How do you like to serve your stuff up?

I have my main computer connected via HDMI to two TV's: a 40" 4K HDTV and a 32" 720p HDTV.

Unfortunately I don't have any bad-ass surround system. I have 2 Logitech PC speakers with a separate woofer.

Would definitely like to get a proper audio setup though. Sometimes I just use headphones though.

I've questioned whether getting 5.1 supported headphones would be worth it or not.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Koby said:

I have my main computer connected via HDMI to two TV's: a 40" 4K HDTV and a 32" 720p HDTV.

Unfortunately I don't have any bad-ass surround system. I have 2 Logitech PC speakers with a separate woofer.

Would definitely like to get a proper audio setup though. Sometimes I just use headphones though.

I've questioned whether getting 5.1 supported headphones would be worth it or not.

Having good speakers for tv is sick af, my set up's expensive af and I only have it cuz they're my DJ/production speakers but if you can get a good audio setup it's totally worth it. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work on ps3 which is really annoying cuz that's how I watch my bluray discs and it's kinda shitty that I can't get a proper audio set up when I actually support the content financially

1 hour ago, DabDeity710 said:

I prefer to watch shit off my macbook with an hdmi conversion cable/hdmi cable plugged into my 55" LG and my DDJ-SX plugged into my macbook so I can hook up my Rockit 8s to the DDJ-SX and play the audio out of there:boss:

*boss mode initiated*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koby said:

I have a Logitech 5.1 headset and it's worth it for gaming but unless you're spending a few hundred (at the least), you're not going to get the lows that you want.

40 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Having good speakers for tv is sick af, my set up's expensive af and I only have it cuz they're my DJ/production speakers but if you can get a good audio setup it's totally worth it. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work on ps3 which is really annoying cuz that's how I watch my bluray discs and it's kinda shitty that I can't get a proper audio set up when I actually support the content financially

What kind of input/outputs does the sound system have? I have my ps3 and the Roku hooked up to the receiver via optical wire.

5 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

I hook the speakers into the DJ board via XLR cables and the DJ board connects via USB, for whatever reason the ps3 won't recognize the DJ board

Ah man my knowledge doesn't stretch far enough for that lol. You would probably need some type of receiver as well. Or maybe it could be fixed with a simple converter of some kind.

57 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

I hook the speakers into the DJ board via XLR cables and the DJ board connects via USB, for whatever reason the ps3 won't recognize the DJ board

That's the problem, then. The PS3 won't recognize USB devices as usable unless it is a controller or storage device. Everything else it will just provide power to, if needed. You would need a digital auxilary capable device to hook up that DJ board to it.

As for the topic, personally, when I stream my own person files, I just use PS3 Media Server, though it is getting old and outdated for the most part. When I stream, I normally just use HULU, Funimation, etc. for anime through their apps. I also have a laptop with an HDMI output to watch stuff from the computer on my big TV. Eventually, I need to get a soundbar, though, even if just a cheap one, since a lot of HD content has the voiced dialogue drowned out by sound effects and music. It doesn't seem like it would be easy to adjust the equalizer on my TV either to make the center audio streams louder without effecting music and sound effect volume, so the sound bar would be my best bet in making it easier to hear spoken lines without having to turn the volume down for loud music and sound effects. I never had this problem with non-HD audio, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragnawind said:

That's the problem, then. The PS3 won't recognize USB devices as usable unless it is a controller or storage device. Everything else it will just provide power to, if needed. You would need a digital auxilary capable device to hook up that DJ board to it.

As for the topic, personally, when I stream my own person files, I just use PS3 Media Server, though it is getting old and outdated for the most part. When I stream, I normally just use HULU, Funimation, etc. for anime through their apps. I also have a laptop with an HDMI output to watch stuff from the computer on my big TV. Eventually, I need to get a soundbar, though, even if just a cheap one, since a lot of HD content has the voiced dialogue drowned out by sound effects and music. It doesn't seem like it would be easy to adjust the equalizer on my TV either to make the center audio streams louder without effecting music and sound effect volume, so the sound bar would be my best bet in making it easier to hear spoken lines without having to turn the volume down for loud music and sound effects. I never had this problem with non-HD audio, though.

I agree about the audio. It got to be so damn frustrating when I had to grab the remote during dialogue and then hurry and turn it down after my ears were already bleeding from an action scene. I scored some surround speakers, piece by piece at Goodwill and won an auction for a really good Yamaha receiver. I have a powered woofer too so firefights with grenades have a nice BOOM! lol.

22 minutes ago, allan1973 said:

HTPC (9.5tb internal storage) with Kodi + windows remote, connected to a 40" 1080p HDTV through HDMI for video & sound. I need to build a NAS and get a sound system tho.

That sounds great! Did you build or buy a premade? I am still debating whether I care enough to build one in a small case made for htpc's or if I want to just make it a regular tower for more drive space. I do want to build an NAS as well since my kids are getting older and thus using more technology so I will need more room for more data to serve up throughout the house and I'd like to have some redundancy.

Dell P2715Q 4K IPS screen (only 27" but since I sit super close up it's still proportionally larger than most people's TVs), with an Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set (absolutely phenomenal set of speakers) + Denon AVR-S510BT (cheap but more than sufficient for my setup), both hooked up to an Intel i5 NUC running a customized Kodi build with MadVR that also hooks into my lights and fans for automatic enable/disable. I've tested a ton of USB-based remotes for this system too, and my preferred one is an Aerb AirMouse mini wireless keyboard/remote. Works perfectly once you customize the buttons a bit (using a combination of Kodi's key remapper + AutoHotkey), and far superior to bluetooth solutions since there's no wakeup/shutdown time, and superior battery life.

good stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catar said:

a customized Kodi build with MadVR

You have just seized my attention nonchalantly. Please, tell me more. Maybe this isn't the right place for it? I've always bemoaned the absence of MadVR from Kodi. Kodi version? Base system? Did you compile it yourself? Where can I get it? 

My prefered method: 

ZOTAC ZBOX ID45 Barebone Intel Core i3

OpenElec 

Samsung TV 55'' FullHD

Headphones Lioncast LX50 Gaming Headset

Edited by eljayflintok

3 minutes ago, eljayflintok said:

You have just seized my attention nonchalantly. Please, tell me more. Maybe this isn't the right place for it? I've always bemoaned the absence of MadVR from Kodi. Kodi version? Base system? Did you compile it yourself? Where can I get it? 

My build is a bit further modified, but this thread should help you out: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175

Basically, you're going to be running a build that uses DirectShow as the player, which means you can load up all sorts of filters into Kodi, including things like madVR, Lav, XySubFilter, SVP, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Catar said:

My build is a bit further modified, but this thread should help you out: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175

Basically, you're going to be running a build that uses DirectShow as the player, which means you can load up all sorts of filters into Kodi, including things like madVR, Lav, XySubFilter, SVP, etc. 

Thank you. I never really searched for Kody and madVR because OpenElec was/is my way of doing it. I am starting to consider changing my system. 

Edited by eljayflintok

10 minutes ago, Catar said:

anytime, also I just saw your edit.

Get off OpenELEC, the owner seized control and started doing dumb things. The real OpenELEC team forked off and formed LibreElec (https://libreelec.tv/)

LibreElec if I want to stay with a linux based system. I'd need to switch over to a windows based Kodi install for all the bells and whistles filter-wise, no? 

Edited by eljayflintok