Classic VS dated films

ElementalCards

Mention any films that have aged very well vs. the ones that didn't in your eyes.

Independence Day '96 is a classic, hands down. The SFX are impressive to look at, even with a few corny *but hilarious* lines sprinkled here and there.

The Secret Garden '93 is extremely dated. The repetitive over-dramatic soundtrack is atrocious and the scenery isn't great. Plus, it didn't look magical to me, I've seen better films with a "magical touch".

• Like 1

Jurassic Park has aged very well IMO. The effects still look good to this day (minus the long necked dinos when they first arrive on the Island) and the story and characters/actors all still feel well crafted.

I know some are gonna probably hate me for saying this, but the original Tron has not held up well with age at all IMO. Primarily the effects are what I'm referring to, but with a movie heavily reliant on them like this film, the rest of the movie just kinda fails to impress on any level. The idea was good, but I feel like it was ahead of it's time in the wrong way. I did (for the most part) like Tron Legacy, though I think a lot of original Tron fans seemed to have issues with it.

Firestarter is very dated. The ending scene was accompanied with a crappy soundtrack that seemed to drag on. Other than the fact that the audio is in mono 1.0, some scenes look bent. I mean, take a look at squared objects and you'll see what I mean. It's too jarring, which leads me to...

Village of the Damned '95 is a classic, even though it's not the most popular title out there. The SFX, while basic, were too damn good. Maybe the sounds is what made the special effects stand out. This remake maintained my interest from start to finish bc psychic powers in fictional works are awesome.

Big.. this one is strange. I love the English version, but the Spanish dub sounds dated. Maybe the voice artists were miscast while dubbing their respective characters, I dunno.

Cocoon aged very well. It has a beautiful score despite how old it is, and it's able to play with the emotions perfectly from exciting to sad to suspenseful, etc.

• 3 months later...

While I don't have a problem with The Terminator (besides the pointless battle scenes from the future world), the soundtracks sound very dated. The action cues were nothing but an old school video game type of music and that kinda ruined it for me. A very poor attempt to tamper the soundtracks by increasing the pitch was also dumb, and it still sounds dated. T2 has an awesome soundtrack though.

Jumanji is a great film, even with the technology during that time, the VFX are still impressive and the soundtrack has that magical touch that The Secret Garden 93 did NOT have. Million times better than Zathura.

Edited by ElementalCards
  • Like 1

Hook ( Robin Williams ) - still one of my favorite movies . Never gets old . The music , the humour ... I love everything about it! ...speaking of ,, it ,,

IT ( Stephen King ) - I was so scared of that movie when I was young . It really doesn't hold up that well . The dialogues are boring ,especially when they're all grown up and the story is too slow-paced.As much as I love Tim Curry , and he makes Pennywise the movie's only saving grace , some of his scenes are just silly ( although the music gives it a creepy vibe ) . One of the scenes that I still like is when Pennywise is in that book . And the ending is soooo disappointing .

Love Tim Curry as Pennywise , is one of the most recognisable characters in horror history , but in the end IT really doesn't hold up that well for me . 

They will make a remake of IT this year . I bet that will be swell ...

Edited by Grundy

• 2 months later...

As far as older films go, I'm pretty fond of the Indiana Jones movies. As cheesy as they can be sometimes, I've always loved John Williams' compositions and movie scores.

One of my absolute films is the original 'The Thing' directed by John Carpenter. Even now I still find the creature designs fascinating, and I think the film has aged pretty well.

• 1 month later...

Spaceballs holds up pretty well, despite the shitty video master that's deteriorating badly. Maybe it's because the setting took place in space, I dunno.

Although Commando is very enjoyable, the soundtracks are somewhat dated. BUT! It's not as bad as The Terminator; at least it didn't scream (look! this music has the 80's feeling to it!). I don't know what the composer was thinking when working for James Cameron but the soundtracks are horrible. At least this problem wasn't present in T2: Judgement Day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 3:54 PM, DarkGanta said:

Jurassic Park has aged very well IMO. The effects still look good to this day (minus the long necked dinos when they first arrive on the Island) and the story and characters/actors all still feel well crafted.

I know some are gonna probably hate me for saying this, but the original Tron has not held up well with age at all IMO. Primarily the effects are what I'm referring to, but with a movie heavily reliant on them like this film, the rest of the movie just kinda fails to impress on any level. The idea was good, but I feel like it was ahead of it's time in the wrong way. I did (for the most part) like Tron Legacy, though I think a lot of original Tron fans seemed to have issues with it.

Jurassic Park was my first thought too. Nostalgia may play a role though. The books made me like th emovie even more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, ElementalCards said:

Can anyone explain to me how is it that classic Disney cartoon films have aged phenomenally? It's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but you barely notice any film decay, unlike other cartoons from that era (Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, etc).

The cartoons you are talking about were tv series . The Disney movies were theatrical releases which means a lot of money and effort we're spent on them.