Haven't watched Any Anime in over 2 years & just starting up again

Reptoholic

Ok, life has gotten in the way and I have been Really busy, I have not watched a Single anime/cartoon in over 2 years (closer to 3) and haven't played games in 6. Between full time work and School, I have not even been able to keep up on what is new, which means I have not dowloaded or watched anything. Though it is sad, other priorities did come first. I am just getting back onto the forums and I have seen so Much has changed. The last time I was on most of the way to stream anime was through Megavideo.....  Yeah, it has been that long. I am hear as a cry out for all the Anime lovers to ask, What is new? What is good?  What has come out in the last few years that is a 'have to watch show'. 

I watch about any genre, though I do prefer dubbed, and don't torrent.  Comedy, Romance, Action, Horror, suspense.... If ya'll are hearing me, give me some lists!!!  Let me know what I have been missing!!!

Thanks,

~Reptoholic

• 2 weeks later...

It's so sad that nobody answered before me since I literally just signed up. Anyway, let me walk you through the basics in case you haven't found a better answer somewhere else in the meantime.

Must-watch:

1- One Punch Man (action overdose) (there's a dub out there. Subbed version on Crunchyroll)
2- Erased (will make you feel warm inside, cry and be terrified) (being dubbed on Blu-Ray. Half has been released. The other half is to be released on Jan. 24)

3- Death Parade (tear-jerker) (Funimation - dubbed)

Honorable mentions:

- Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) (shounen) (Netflix - great dub)

- Yuri!!! on Ice (airing right now) ("sports") (Funimation - dub at episode 5)

- Kiseijuu (Parasyte) (horror) (there's a dub out there. Subbed version on Crunchyroll)

- Drifters (airing right now) (Funimation - dub at episode 4)

Movies:

Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. (Anthem of the Heart) (romance) (not dubbed)

Bakemono no Ko (The Boy and The Beast) (just watch it) (Blu-Ray dub)

I heard a movie going by "Your name." or "Kimi no na wa." is amazing, but it's still in select theatres.

There's a few I glossed over because you prefer dubs. I really hope you will watch all of these.

Edited by Insanitium
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Insanitium said:

It's so sad that nobody answered before me since I literally just signed up. Anyway, let me walk you through the basics in case you haven't found a better answer somewhere else in the meantime.

Must-watch:

1- One Punch Man (action overdose) (there's a dub out there. Subbed version on Crunchyroll)
2- Erased (will make you feel warm inside, cry and be terrified) (being dubbed on Blu-Ray. Half has been released. The other half is to be released on Jan. 24)

3- Death Parade (tear-jerker) (Funimation - dubbed)

Honorable mentions:

- Nanatsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) (shounen) (Netflix - great dub)

- Yuri!!! on Ice (airing right now) ("sports") (Funimation - dub at episode 5)

- Kiseijuu (Parasyte) (horror) (there's a dub out there. Subbed version on Crunchyroll)

- Drifters (airing right now) (Funimation - dub at episode 4)

Movies:

Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda. (Anthem of the Heart) (romance) (not dubbed)

Bakemono no Ko (The Boy and The Beast) (just watch it) (Blu-Ray dub)

I heard a movie going by "Your name." or "Kimi no na wa." is amazing, but it's still in select theatres.

There's a few I glossed over because you prefer dubs. I really hope you will watch all of these.

Thank you for responding, I will have to look into those.

I just started watching anime in the last year. I might be a bit of a snob when it comes to anime though, so there are not too many that was released within the last three years that made an impression on me. But I am still far from up to date with all the anime, so there are many i haven't seen yet that might be good.
So here is a few recomendation.

You're lie in April. (Beautifully animated show with great music. Drama/music/Romance, dub availible)

One-Punch Man (I agree with @Insanitium. A lot of action combined with good comedy. dub availible) 

91 Days (Mafia anime, following a character who tries to avenge the death of his family. only seen 2 episodes so far, but seems good. dub is ongoing, sub is complete. I'm waiting for the dub to be complete to watch the rest, so this is mostly a blind recomendation)

That is basically it for me im afraid. But ofc there is a lot i haven't seen yet.

Edit: Thought i just might add a couple of anime: Erased, Re:Zero, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Mob Psycho 100, Seraph of the end, Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul, Noragami, Terror in Resonance and Log Horizon.

These are not personal recomendations from me, but as far as i know these have been some of the most popular anime of the past 2-ish years (might have skipped a few ofc cus this is what i remembre of the top of my head). So you should atleast find a couple you will like amongst those.

Edited by Fishmonster
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fishmonster said:

I just started watching anime in the last year. I might be a bit of a snob when it comes to anime though, so there are not too many that was released within the last three years that made an impression on me. But I am still far from up to date with all the anime, so there are many i haven't seen yet that might be good.
So here is a few recomendation.

You're lie in April. (Beautifully animated show with great music. Drama/music/Romance, dub availible)

One-Punch Man (I agree with @Insanitium. A lot of action combined with good comedy. dub availible) 

91 Days (Mafia anime, following a character who tries to avenge the death of his family. only seen 2 episodes so far, but seems good. dub is ongoing, sub is complete. I'm waiting for the dub to be complete to watch the rest, so this is mostly a blind recomendation)

That is basically it for me im afraid. But ofc there is a lot i haven't seen yet.

Edit: Thought i just might add a couple of anime: Erased, Re:Zero, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Mob Psycho 100, Seraph of the end, Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul, Noragami, Terror in Resonance and Log Horizon.

These are not personal recomendations from me, but as far as i know these have been some of the most popular anime of the past 2-ish years (might have skipped a few ofc cus this is what i remembre of the top of my head). So you should atleast find a couple you will like amongst those.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• Like 1

I think the influx of one-hit posters who make requests never to be heard from again has really killed off people's willingness to discuss and make recommendations. Hence the lack of replies.

That said,Kametsu's Anime of the Season Hall of Fame thread is always a good place to start for seeing what the userbase voted to be the best each season has had to offer. Of course I do not always agree with the results, but for the most part I typically have. Anyways it's here:

We just released Death Parade early this morning in the Kametsu Projects board. I'd definitely give it a recommendation to watch (and you may notice it also won AotS for the season it originally aired in).

Seraph of the End is another show you'll most likely enjoy, but unfortunately xDTK hasn't finished his release of it yet.

I'd most definitely recommend Terror in Resonance; which the Kametsu Projects team also released.

Then Rage of Bahamut was another excellent series which you can find Catar's release for.

Attack on Titan was likely the biggest show in the last several years, and Baal has an excellent release here on the forum.

The Boy and The Beast was a great film, and another one the Kametsu Projects team released. =)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Koby said:

I think the influx of one-hit posters who make requests never to be heard from again has really killed off people's willingness to discuss and make recommendations. Hence the lack of replies.

That said,Kametsu's Anime of the Season Hall of Fame thread is always a good place to start for seeing what the userbase voted to be the best each season has had to offer. Of course I do not always agree with the results, but for the most part I typically have. Anyways it's here:

We just released Death Parade early this morning in the Kametsu Projects board. I'd definitely give it a recommendation to watch (and you may notice it also won AotS for the season it originally aired in).

Seraph of the End is another show you'll most likely enjoy, but unfortunately xDTK hasn't finished his release of it yet.

I'd most definitely recommend Terror in Resonance; which the Kametsu Projects team also released.

Then Rage of Bahamut was another excellent series which you can find Catar's release for.

Attack on Titan was likely the biggest show in the last several years, and Baal has an excellent release here on the forum.

The Boy and The Beast was a great film, and another one the Kametsu Projects team released. =)

Thank you Koby for the suggestions and information, I appreciate it.

I can also recommend Kill la Kill (at least if you like "over the top" stuff ;) ).

Edit: Almost forgot; Maybe you've seen Fate/Stay Night, well, the second route/series came out: Unlimited Bladeworks and if you liked the first one you gonna love this one.

Edited by Faronil
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Faronil said:

I can also recommend Kill la Kill (at least if you like "over the top" stuff ;) ).

Edit: Almost forgot; Maybe you've seen Fate/Stay Night, well, the second route/series came out: Unlimited Bladeworks and if you liked the first one you gonna love this one.

Another thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. 

Gangsta: Mafia hit men and a hooker they like
Ben-To: Poor people fighting over food 
BTOOM: They run, They Sneak, They Explode
Brynhildrin The Darkness: Dirty dirty alien girls that have a thing for telescopes
Daganronpa:  Battle Royale /Hunger Games with fan service 
Prison School: Girl Power Maxed out but with lots of up skirts 
Snow White with the Red Hair: Just like the book if you smoke crack
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna: Time travel just to meet a blonde Japanese girl
Unbreakable Machine Doll : What if? Love dolls could talk and had nuclear reactors
Haganai: Filthy mouthed kids at school
Is this a zombie: Is it funny?...Yes 
Inu X Boku SS: Halloween Apartment Complex
Nisekoi: Sweet sweet love between a man and his Guerrilla 
Maden no Ou Vanadis: A queen and her man slave try to save the world 2,000,000 people died though
Maria the Virgin Witch: Season 2 is called "Maria the Witch"
Anatsu Kyoushitsu/ Assassination High school: It had the potential to be the greatest tentacle hentai ever but the director went a different direction

Is It Wrong to try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Have you ever played D&D? Its like that.

Grisaia No Kajitsu: Assassins, Hentai, and Bananas! Oh My!

Edited by hearts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hearts said:

Gangsta: Mafia hit men and a hooker they like
Ben-To: Poor people fighting over food 
BTOOM: They run, They Sneak, They Explode
Brynhildrin The Darkness: Dirty dirty alien girls that have a thing for telescopes
Daganronpa:  Battle Royale /Hunger Games with fan service 
Prison School: Girl Power Maxed out but with lots of up skirts 
Snow White with the Red Hair: Just like the book if you smoke crack
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna: Time travel just to meet a blonde Japanese girl
Unbreakable Machine Doll : What if? Love dolls could talk and had nuclear reactors
Haganai: Filthy mouthed kids at school
Is this a zombie: Is it funny?...Yes 
Inu X Boku SS: Halloween Apartment Complex
Nisekoi: Sweet sweet love between a man and his Guerrilla 
Maden no Ou Vanadis: A queen and her man slave try to save the world 2,000,000 people died though
Maria the Virgin Witch: Season 2 is called "Maria the Witch"
Anatsu Kyoushitsu/ Assassination High school: It had the potential to be the greatest tentacle hentai ever but the director went a different direction

Is It Wrong to try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Have you ever played D&D? Its like that.

Grisaia No Kajitsu: Assassins, Hentai, and Bananas! Oh My!

Wow, that is a big list!!! I will look into them. thanks you for replying!