'Attack on Titan' Season 2 Confirmed for Spring 2017

Koby

The official site of Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) now states that Attack on Titan Season 2 will premiere in Spring 2017.

It was also announced that the director for the series has changed. Tetsurou Araki is now the general director and Masashi Koizuka, previously the series' assistant director, is now director. Rest of the staff members and all the cast members from the original series are also scheduled to return for their roles.

3cCRUKP.png

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Koby said:

Why didn't you like it?

I really enjoyed it myself.

Eh. I think I'm just not entirely on board with the shounen genre trappings. I also felt the pacing was really, really off after the first eight or so episodes, it dragged down to a crawl.

AoT S01 spoilers:

Spoiler

Basically, I loved the show right up until the moment Eren reappeared after apparently dying in episode 5 =P

I was absolutely on board with him dying and Mikasa/Armin taking over as the two mains. Would have actually been fresh and new, plus actually committed to the apparent cutthroat atmosphere that was effectively built up in the first couple of episodes. But meh, that's a huge nitpick and well off course from the real show, so don't mind that.

On the topic of the actual plot we got: The setting is great, the concept is great, good lord the first OP is amazing and the animation's solid. None of these matter to me as much as solid characters and their interactions though. I don't even necessarily care about the plot too much if the character development and interactions are good. And in that regard, I find both Armin and Eren very annoying and clichéd, without an ounce of originality. Just tiresome characters. Mikasa could be great, and one of the (unfortunately few) truly interesting strong female characters in anime, but constantly gets shoved to the side for more Eren angst.

But all in all, it was slow pacing, a main plot meandering about with no real apparent goals or main arc (you can only stretch "we must survive" so far), and tiresome main characters.

To be fair, though, I don't really like most anime. I don't even know why I'm here!

Edited by Catar

I guess I just really enjoy post-apocalyptic stories like this.

Season 1 adapted 35 chapters. Currently there is 47 chapters out that haven't been adapted, but I figure season 2 will only adapt up to chapter 70 so that it can end at the end of an arc and not have to rush through another arc. If they do adapt only up to chapter 70, that gives Season 2 two arcs to cover.

Anyhow 35 chapters in 25 episodes is fairly slow... but still faster than One Piece that now adapts like 2-10 pages of manga per episode, kek. Your average anime would typically adapt 1.5 to 4 chapters per episode depending on how much they're rushing through material. Typically 2 chapters an episode is a good pace.. but there is simply not enough material for Attack on Titan to have such a pace unless we're willing to wait like 8 years between seasons. Shoot it's already been what, 4 years?

• Like 1

Fair, although with that rate of output it feels to me like AoT S01 probably should have been just a 13 episode set, or even a series of long OVAs a la Hellsing Ultimate. But I live in a magical world where everything comes out in the format it's best suited for.

I do like the occasional good post-apocalyptic show, although preferably more post than this. I'd almost call AoT current-apocalyptic, since they're very much ongoing and their society is collapsing on screen. Shinsekai Yori was great though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The official Twitter account for the Attack on Titan animerevealed on Thursday that is planning a total of two Blu-ray Disc and DVD sets for the anime's second season. Each set will have six episodes, for a total of 12 episodes.

The first Blu-ray Disc and DVD will ship in Japan on June 21 and the second will ship on August 18. Both releases will include a VR movie, and the first will include VR goggles.

The second series will premiere in Japan on 21 networks, including Tokyo MX and MBS, on April 1. Funimation will begin streaming asimulcast version on the same day, andCrunchyroll will also stream the series.Funimation announced in December that itlicensed the second anime season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bulletgazm said:

I haven't seen anything on a dub release yet. 

Funimation mentioned they'd be Simuldubbing it, but they said more info would come in the coming weeks. So I assume it's going to be 2-5 weeks behind Simulcast as usual.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Koby said:

Funimation mentioned they'd be Simuldubbing it, but they said more info would come in the coming weeks. So I assume it's going to be 2-5 weeks behind Simulcast as usual.

Really that's cool I haven't heard that. 

All I have seen is talk about how it's going to be 12 episodes.

Edited by Bulletgazm

There has now been a rumor going around that it will start on Toonami on April 29. However, since it is April Fools Day, I won't believe it until it is officially announced. The rumor states that they had a promo on Adult Swim tonight before Toonami even started. If it is true, it will be on again sometime after mindnight and if it doesn't show, it is likely a prank. The only thing that gives credit to that rumor so far is that April 29 is the day a new show will be starting since JoJo ends the week before.

@ragnawind you were right.

Jason DeMarco, senior vice-president and creative director for Adult Swim,confirmed on Twitter on Saturday that Toonami will begin airing the second season of the Attack on Titantelevision anime series on April 29. (DeMarco confirmed multiple times on Twitter that the news wasn't an April Fool's Joke.)

Toonami didn't air an episode of Dragon Ball Super and Samurai Jack this week, as they werepreempted by episodes of Rick and Morty. DeMarco clarified that the episode of Dragon Ball Super will air next week instead.

The second series of Attack on Titan premieredin Japan on 21 networks, including Tokyo MXand MBS, on April 1. Funimation began streaming a simulcast version on the same day, and Crunchyroll is also streaming the series.Funimation announced in December that itlicensed the second anime season.

The anime is listed as having 12 episodes.

1 hour ago, Bulletgazm said:

Attack on Titan will now air April 22nd on toonami at 12:30 am a week early than originally announced.

If it is airing on the 22nd now, they are either:

1. Adding another new timeslot, which will also add another new show;

2. taking another show off before it finishes airing;

3. taking a show off the air for a week to finish JoJo the week before.

These are the only possibilities, unless they just plain don't air the last episode of Season 1 of JoJo.

EDIT: Looks  like they are putting it on in place of Tokyo Ghoul on the 15th and then Tokyo Ghoul returns the following week when AoTs starts.

Edited by ragnawind
  • Like 1

4/15 line up
11:00 Samurai Jack 
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 
12:00 Sand Whale and Me 
12:05 Dragon Ball Z Kai
12:30 JOJO 
1:00 JOJO
1:30 HXH
2:00 gundam 
2:30 naruto 
3:00 GITS SAC

4/22
12:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai
12:30 Attack on Titan Season 2
1:00 Tokyo Ghoul 
2:00 Gundam 

32 minutes ago, Bulletgazm said:

4/15 line up
12:00 Sand Whale and Me 
12:05 Dragon Ball Z Kai
12:30 JOJO 
1:00 JOJO
2:00 gundam 

4/22
12:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai
12:30 Attack on Titan Season 2
1:00 Tokyo Ghoul 
2:00 Gundam 

yeah, I posted an edit about what they did.