Your Opinion Needed: On Topic Spoiler Tag Usage

Koby

Your Opinion Needed: On Topic Spoiler Tag Usage  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Your Opinion Needed: On Topic Spoiler Tag Usage

• Require spoiler tags for anything that could be considered spoiler even if it's already taken place, so those not caught up don't take issue
    • Continue to only require them for future events based on the assumption viewers of said thread should be caught up with the show upon reading it

I'd like to ask you all how you feel on the stance of spoiler tags in the discussion threads.

Should they be required for everything that could be seen as spoiler or should the topics expect that you're caught up and only require spoiler tags for future events that haven't happened yet; say for example talking about something that happens later in the books or manga while talking in a tv show / anime / movie based thread?

We've had it as the latter option since pretty much forever as we felt people who would be up to discussing stuff would likely be watching weekly and therefore be caught up and we didn't think full topics of spoiler tagged hidden posts was ideal, but I'm starting to wonder if people who aren't fully caught up are avoiding talking about stuff on the basis of accidentally spoiling themselves to future events and if a change in spoiler tag usage requirements were to happen, would in any way be beneficial to the community.

We're dying. A discussion forum without discussions isn't really alive; even if the download section seems to be doing somewhat okay. Even if you factor in the activity of the download section, think about it; how often do we see new users actually contribute there as well? Rarely. It's become pretty much the same handful of users contributing to everything. Given our population, you'd think this wouldn't be an issue, but it is.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to keep it the way we have things now. But then again I do see your point in the possibility of people avoiding discussions due to spoilers. I tend to not take part only because I rarely watch anime weekly any more. 

It really does suck that hardly no one partakes in discussion here. It's the same 20-30 users out of the 43000 users who discuss things. I get that a lot of people are here to leech but I think they would also benefit from discussing shows they are watching. I know when I watch something I want to talk about it. I really do hope things change in the future. Kametsu is the only anime forum I visit.

Spoilers should be used only for events that will happen. Example: The sun will collapse in about a billion and half years.

Spoilers shouldn't be used for events that already happened (Krypton exploded), events that are common knowledge (Darth Vader is Luke's father!) or that are entirely speculative (Will Sean Bean die on his next movie?)

8 hours ago, Koby said:

We're dying. A discussion forum without discussions isn't really alive; even if the download section seems to be doing somewhat okay. Even if you factor in the activity of the download section, think about it; how often do we see new users actually contribute there as well? Rarely. It's become pretty much the same handful of users contributing to everything. Given our population, you'd think this wouldn't be an issue, but it is.

Here's an option for making the forum alive again:

~ZeroPenguin's Guide for fixing inactive users~

1. Ban and all users
  2. Old users get new accounts
  3. Implement posting requirements for accessing downloads
  4. Old new users has to post
  5. Rinse and repeat

:D

And about the spoilers, I think you should put spoilers for everything. For example, some people would be devastated to know what I ate for breakfast or dinner for example. Life is full of spoilers, you don't want to ruin people's fun now, do you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas_JCG said:

Spoilers should be used only for events that will happen. Example: The sun will collapse in about a billion and half years.

Spoilers shouldn't be used for events that already happened (Krypton exploded), events that are common knowledge (Darth Vader is Luke's father!) or that are entirely speculative (Will Sean Bean die on his next movie?)

Darth Vader is Luke's father?!?!?!? Should've put that in spoilers. Thanks for ruining it for me :P

But in all honesty, what constitutes common knowledge? I know a few people who have never seen Star Wars, so it's quite possible they might not know Darth Vader is Luke's daddy. Bad example on my part, but there would need to be some lines drawn to determine what is common knowledge

I think spoiler tags should only be used on fine details in discussions, characters deaths, plot twists etc. I think the blurbs/summary's are important, it can really sell a series to people who havent seen it before. 

Sequels should have there own discussion thread, this would stop any problems with crossover spoilers

Edited by Vaux

• Nekone locked this topic