Storing Downloaded Anime

warlord8

So within a year I managed to flll up 4TBs worth of anime that I have yet to watch, a few TBs on another HDD dedicated to archives, and a collection of portable hard drives used to backup the aforementioned drives. At this point, I've exhausted my PC's physical capacity to hold anymore drives, and am looking for a potential solution.

To my limited knowledge, the options are:

1. Buy a bigger hard drive (this seems like a temporary fix)
  2. Start archiving anime to physical media such as DVDs/BDs
  3. Possibly a NAS
  4. Delete anime

Not really a fan of option 1.

If I go with the second option, I will be able to use my current archive drive to hold more unwatched anime. My only concern is that burned media corrupts after a while ( I could be wrong), and that down the road, I will run out of space to store the disks. The other issue is that I am a closeted anime fan, so its risky.

The third option might be the best solution, but seems like overkill. The pro of the NAS is that there's a potential for lots of storage. However, I wont really benefit from having the drive on the network ( I only watch on my PC), and people connected to the home network might be able to access it. Thus, spoiling my cover.

I'm considering option 4 still since I have noticed that I only really watch/marathon anime during breaks from classes (i.e winter and summer).  So at the moment, my rate of consumption is much slower than the rate at which I download.  But, there will be a lot of regret/pain involved with this one lol.

Can I get some input from the community?

You'd need way too many discs, and if you do the math on price to storage; it's just as cheap if not cheaper to buy more drives than the equivalent space in discs.

They make 4TB+ drives now. So a single new drive would double your storage. If you've maxed out your allotted amount of drives and only have 4TB total, you've got some really old/tiny drives. I myself have over 20TB of drives (all pretty much full) and I still need more myself, but money prevents that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Koby. What I meant is that I have 4TBs of anime on a single, internal drive which is a 4TB hdd itself, lol. I bought the drive for the sole purpose of being a temporary storage of unwatched anime, but with the time constraints, I ended up filling the drive. The hard drive I use for archiving is a 4TB external, and the archived anime occupy 2.3 TBs on that drive. The external hdds for backup sum up to 4TBs also. So sadly I have about 12TBs of storage, of which 10.3TBs are dedicated to anime.  At the moment, I am finding that handling multiple drives is somewhat a PITA which makes the NAS option somewhat appealing.

You are right about option 2 being extremely expensive, and will probably be an even greater PITA. The concern I have with buying a new hdd to replace the internal drive is that I believe that it will also fill up given the time. But now that I think about it, it could possibly work. I usually download anime in 1080p, but perhaps I should make the switch to 720p and do the same for archiving.

To be honest, option 4 brings up some deep questions ( or so I think). Such as am I hoarding anime, or giving anime too much time/thoughts/resources/etc. ? I was thinking about asking these questions in Balamb lol.

Option 4 is the best. There will come a time when you will question why you even bothered archiving shows that other people have 2 copies and redundancy of. The only problem is that the files wont be on your favorite file host and you will have to use torrents.

Edit: of*

Edited by JohnFlower
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnFlower said:

Option 4 is the best. There will come a time when you will question why you even bothered archiving shows that other people have 2 copies and redundancy of. The only problem is that the files wont be on your favorite file host and you will have to use torrents.

Edit: of*

4 minutes ago, ZeroPenguins said:

^Pretty much, who really cares anymore...

Or just rent some dedicated server that is made for backup purposes.

Thanks for the input guys, and yes, I am beginning to question why I download/archive so much lol.  However, I am really hesitant to delete because I believe some of the shows that I have are pretty rare to find.

Perhaps, it was a case of poor word choice on my part. But what I meant is that some of the archives that I have came from torrents that are now dead.

Also, I am not a member of any private tracker community. If I were, I probably would be more inclined to part with the downloads since I could easily get them again.

11 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

If they're 'rare', put them on a private torrent tracker. The more people that have the 'rare' releases the better.

Even private trackers have torrents that die. About 1/3 of the torrents I put up on animeBytes have died and been deleted or had to be unpruned by myself re-seeding them before the deletion kicked in. I've also had to request in their seeding help thread a couple times for some seeders to jump on and keep them active; but a month later they're dead again. Torrents public or private are not a permanent solution for quality releases at anywhere besides BakaBT who seems to have a great record of keeping torrents alive due to dedicating only select releases instead of just archiving every copy on the web. Places like animeBytes, only the first release uploaded by recognized names last, and unfortunately that's typically DorianHD or Cornbreadman both of which are just about always terrible.

• Like 1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178520

very cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Archive-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B00TJUXCA2

even cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-External-Storage-STDT8000100/dp/B00R45V3SW/

wow that is pretty good deals

im at 20 tb of storage myself and ill place another order tonight for an 8tb drive external drive cuz so sexy