Van Helsing: The Series (SyFy TV Series 2016)

Koby

003.jpg

The new series will center on Vanessa Helsing, who is resurrected five years in the future and learns vampires have taken over the world.

Syfy is pulling from the book of Dracula for its latest series.

The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has acquired Van Helsing to series with writer Neil LaBute set as showrunner, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Originally introduced as Professor Abraham van Helsing in the 1897 gothic horror novel Dracula, the character is best known as a vampire hunter, monster hunter and arch nemesis of Count Dracula.

In this new interpretation, the central character is now a female, Vanessa Helsing, the next in a lineage of warriors who must lead mankind against a world controlled by vampires. When Vanessa is resurrected five years in the future, she learns vampires have taken over the world and that she possesses unique power over them. She is essentially humanity’s last hope to lead an offensive to take back what has been lost.

LaBute will exec produce with Simon Barry, Evan Tyler, Dave Brown, Daniel March and Chad Oakes and Mike Frisley for Nomadic Pictures (Fargo). Nomadic Pictures will produce the series and distribute it within the U.S. Dynamic Television will handle international distribution.

"I am extremely excited to be working with Syfy and Nomadic Pictures to create a unique, character-driven action series that will move the traditional vampire tropes into bold and unexpected new territories” LaBute said in a statement. “This is a wonderful chance for us to forge great stories and unforgettable characters and throw them into a world where the stakes – both dramatic and personal – are tremendously high."

Production on the 13-episode first season will begin in January in Vancouver for a fall 2016 launch.

“Van Helsing represents a new mythology in sci-fi by challenging traditional vampire rules," said Oakes, co-chairman of Nomadic Pictures." The series is unique in exploring a world completely dominated by vampires, while the human characters have to learn the importance of working together to ensure their survival. Mike and I are thrilled to team up once again with the talented Neil LaBute to deliver an amazing series."

The pickup comes in the midst of a rebranding for Syfy, which is hoping to turns its focus back to genre fare with upcoming projects like Childhood's End and The Expanse. The network recently canceled Defiance, Dominion and Haven.

“Van Helsing reimagines a classic story in a compelling new way, featuring a bold and complex heroine”, said Chris Regina, Syfy's senior vp program strategy. "This high octane acquired original series will be a terrific addition to our lineup next year."

Van Helsing was most recently adapted for the big screen in 2004. The film, starring Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale, grossed more than $300 million worldwide. David Warner (Titanic) portrayed Van Helsing on the Showtime series Penny Dreadful for two episodes in 2014.

LaBute, whose credits include Full Circle, Death at a Funeral and Lakeview Terrace, is repped by Gersh and Gendler & Kelly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, neodeathgod said:

Bet it will be set in America like all updates to classic tales have to be. Another series i am not bothered with. Would still take a look though if uts on a channel that i have.

It'll be on the SyFy channel as all SyFy shows are. =P It'd likely be on a smaller budget as most SyFy channel shows are in comparison to say FOX, CBS, NBC, AMC, or CW. They recently canceled Defiance, Dominion, and Haven; all of which I was watching. So I suppose I have room to check out something new. It seems Van Helsing isn't in this though as it's about 'Vanessa Helsing' and set in the future where Vampires have already taken control of the world. Sounds to me like the Angels aspect from Dominion and the Aliens aspect from Defiance has now taken a new shape as a Vampire aspect in this show. Other than that they're all basically the same concept.

It might feel a bit familiar to the anime series Seraph of the End; which also features a world where vampires basically rule over the world now and humans have to band together to survive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Series seems to be a random mess so far. As in it seems the episodes are being aired out of order. Like episode one was placed there because they didn't think people would tune in to another episode if episode two had been the first. What we got as a pilot episode seems like it's more like episode three or episode four story wise... and currently the story just seems like a mess. Only reason I'm still watching is cause I liked the lead who also played on True Blood as one of the werewolves.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

MV5BMTcyNjc0MzU2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzUz

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5

VAN HELSING "Fresh Tendrils" - 10/9c SEASON 3 PREMIERE

Vanessa is once again resurrected and must confront her family's legacy. Axel, Scarlett, and the others fend off Blak Tek's forces who hope to add Scarlett to their list of lab rats.
  • Like 2

Has anybody read the comics this is based on? I've been looking to get into a new comic universe lately that's still... sort of in the superhero ballpark. I love the Marvel and DC stuff, but I just can't keep up with the number of books they put out every month x.x;

Edited by PhoenixPress