cartoons these days :(

fyahrebel

not sure whats going on but nothing seems to be that great as it was in the past. and anything i find good it ends up getting canceled lol like young justice. may be one day they might bring back justice league or a good batman.

That seems to happen a lot with cartoon shows I like..I loved the new Thundercats, GI Joe Renagades, Young Justice and a couple of the Batman series.Anime I kind if see them as tv min-series because I know 9 out of 10 times there will not be another season.But regular cartoons in the US I kind of expect more longeivity.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I can agree. All the greats have been replaced with background noise trash. YTV only airs crappy Dan "hold her tighter, she's a fighter" Schneider comedies now with the occasional good show like Harvey Beaks amongst the rest of the background noise "soooo randUMb l0L amirite?!?!guise!" tier trash. Teletoon has some good stuff, like Total Drama and occasional dubs, whenever they get done. Doesn't make up for trash like Johnny Test though - prime example of shit tier cartoons that I never liked, especially considering I was still a kid/part of the target audience when it first started. I remember just putting stuff on for the sake of putting it on all the time. Wish I kept on doing karate instead of quitting to do nothing all afternoon instead, oh well lmao.

I don't like cartoons, only anime. Cartoons are usually for kids and the ones I have seen for adults I find sickening.. e.g. Family guy the wife bangs her dog.. sick

I find anime wonderful.. Yes it has hot girls and lots of up-skirting.. For me it's the powers Like Ichigo or Goku has and also the morals behind all they do.

Protect the ones you love. Honor, friendship etc. When someone is like man I can't believe you like anime. I'm like have you watched it to see what

is going on? The main character is fighting for something. It teaches good things like friendship, family, honor and stuff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i feel like cartoons have entered a new era of awesome. adventure time regular show steven universe, all these shows are driven/created by young people that were given free reign allowing some very new worlds to be explored. as a college film student its inspired me to move towards animation. not to mention gay love being totally legal korra and steven universe are allowed to have really gay relationships and its certainly amazing to see it so boldly out there on children's programing for the first time ever

I remember watching cartoons and anime as a kid, more cartoons than the other until I hit high school. Sometimes when I go to the living room to see my sister watching whatever's on TV, those teen dramas are horrible stuff. Then there are those new cartoons that make no sense. I find Tom and Jerry still good to watch nowadays, compared to that random "Adventure Time" show that looked like Disney was desperate to make a TV show for kids, and threw all their movies into one thing (Not sure who made that disgusting show). The one cartoon show that I remember watching from start to end in chronological order was Total Drama Island, which was probably the last cartoon I've ever watched.

it seems 2004-2012 were really good years but has gone done hill after that.

I was taking down 500 gigs a month of encodes then slowed to about 50 gigs in 2015 due to the lack of diversity and unappealing content to me.  I really should upload a screen shot of all the archives i have lol....

here are my backup archive disk:

https://youtu.be/UEQKbLCEs5c

Edited by Mr Doovdé

Honestly, there are a lot of things in play for this sort of opinion

1) You're not the audience newer shows are made for. It's harder to find an in as part of the periphery demographic.

2) Nostalgia is a powerful thing. You're going to hold things you grew up with in higher regard (I grew up with and loved/still love TMNT, The Transformers, GI Joe, and a lot of other shows from around that time. but that doesn't mean that when I watch them now, I don't see all the glaring flaws that were present in them that you don't find in newer stuff)

3) You were likely far less discerning when you were younger. In addition to the shows with staying power, I watched a ton of junk when I was younger. Junk I would've regarded as really cool/fun/interesting in the eyes of 6-10 year old me.

4) Growing up you had a larger pool of stuff to draw from. The cartoons I watched as a kid ran from things that were new in the 80s/90s all the way back to 60s Hanna Barbera and WB stuff. So of course I'll be able to find a ton of great shows when I'm looking at things that were released over 30-40 years and several shows have already stood the test of time. Comparatively, since that time it's only been another 20ish years, so there hasn't been time to filter out all the crap and leave us with just the best material.

While it's possible that overall quality has changed somewhat, I've never liked the idea that this is somehow a dark age of cartoons or whatever. "Everything new is garbage. <blank> was was better in my day" is a universal attitude. The same can be said about music and movies and any kind of entertainment, and likely has been said for decades and decades. I'm sure our parents probably looked at our beloved cartoons when we were little and said "what is this trash? When I was a kid, cartoons were great!" just the same as we as grown-ups (or grown-up-ish) do now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/1/2016 at 3:41 PM, The_Nemesis said:

Everything new is garbage. <blank> was was better in my day" is a universal attitude.

This. It is a biased attitude since the greeks. I remember an article about how in different times and cultures were the opinion that the youth was spoiled and future generations will never prosper, however they did. Not that I say is the case, but maybe is a factor.

i think the new cartoons have changed their codes and shades, to address the cultural paradigm of the new audiences. I still see creativity in some of them.

• 1 month later...

Well, I sure enjoying cartoons in my mid 20s as i used to be in my teenage. I still watch new cartoons and also old cartoons. I collect cartoons and watch them often. May be 'cause of change of time and taste, cartoon artists lost their touch on creating new cartoons. most of the cartoons now are not understandable to kids, may be in my country and in my family but they lost that enjoyable creative touch and comedy. I think they want to transform them into Anime industry. To everybody. I still love the old cartoon series running now. TMNT, Justice League, Transformers Prime, Spongbob Square pants(not so entertaining as it used to be), Mr Bean Animated Series(Total flop of story), Power Puff Girls Rule.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not cartoons these days, it's that tools like flash have made cartoons so easy to make giant TV networks can just get unskilled animation students to crap out the latest episodes of shows like: 12 oz. Mouse or Pickle and Peanut.

If we don't want crap cartoons we need to stop watching the ones that are, and start ones that are truly amazing like: Commander Clark, Steven Universe, Regular Show, and Star vs the Forces of Evil.

Heck even the 2012 Littlest Pet Shop series was pretty cool how it established a primarily pescetarian culture that stewards over the animal kingdom.

kinda bummed to hear in our would a species of rat just went extinct, and before you say who cares about rats? normal rats are amazing pets and don't have the smell of members of the Mustelidae family.

Washington Post - Bramble Cay melomys is likely the first mammal claimed by man-made climate change

Edited by DaftMink