Robots

Riku

Do yall think it is wise with how robots are becoming smarter and more intellegent with the enhancement of gaining AI?

I heard from places like Popular Science that they will be in the majority of households by 2020.

I am not sure yet if I can get used to a robot and its view of the world once it becomes smart enough to think on its own.

I mean in one way I think it is cool and all and in another I think it is kinda scary.

Your thoughts?

What makes mankind do all sorts of atrocities is because of their emotions.

Unless ''robots'' are programmed to act on their own based on what might be suggested as ''emotional responses'', then they could never harm us, at the very least not intentionaly. Certainly not like they show in science fiction films, in any case.

Robots can never be conscious of what they are doing, they are not even sentient. If they were to attack mankind, based on the definition of what a robot is for society today, it would be a malfunction caused by the person who programmed it. If it is able to hurt us, therefore, it is our own fault.

I've grown up finding robots cool and interesting, but thinking as them being a part of our lifes in a few years is mindboggling. I mean, you watch movies from way back when and they take place in the year 2500 A.D. Robots appear to be incredibly smart, and thinking that they'll be in our lives soon is weird. I don't know how I'll feel when the time comes.

*Points and nods.*

Indeed. When there will be no more humans on the earth, cockroaches and ravens will pick at our bleached bones! :D

I see robots as talking machines. Not computers, or anything else like that. I wouldn't be surprised if we already have robotics, but I didn't classify robots as anything other than what I thought they were.

Well, I understand this, although in reality, we are far from having such robotic ''entities''. In fact, the futuristic vision of the 1950's we once had of robots and the like is actually a lot more revolutional then anything we have today...

Well, I understand this, although in reality, we are far from having such robotic ''entities''. In fact, the futuristic vision of the 1950's we once had of robots and the like is actually a lot more revolutional then anything we have today...

That makes sense, so I see what you mean. The 1950's came out with a lot of movies/television shows/etc., depicting what robots would be like in the future. It's only realistic to think that they're actually more advanced know than they were shown back then.

New001 ]

There must always be someone to creat the robots... So there is realisticaly no chance of robots taking over the world... if thats whatu were worries about ;P

The only thing we have to worry about taking over the world is insects

But what about like the show iRobots.. couldn't Robots create other Robots themselves if programmed to do so. Like we already use computers in factories to manufacture other computers. xD

It would be possiable once they become smart enough. How smart? I dont know how far advanced they are now but I am sure they will be in our lifetimes smarter then us. Of course we could always turn into Cyborgs. I mean people are already have legs and arms being replaced when they lose the real ones.

• 6 months later...
But what about like the show iRobots.. couldn't Robots create other Robots themselves if programmed to do so. Like we already use computers in factories to manufacture other computers. xD

Now thats a great Robot Film, I loved It, when the Humans and the Robot Fought, it was so funny!

• 4 months later...

Robots are mosterously strong and don't feel pain, but even if they revolt they would be surprisingly easy to deal with. Slow, programed thoughts and actions, and the fact that a huge magnet would fry them. Plus an AI takes many trial and error tests to actualy gain reliable acting knowledge. Plus, there are things robots will never do. Nor will be able to do. Dispite people are always thinking of new ways to make robots better, and even now it is possible to make a full body double for anyone, the robot will never be able to advance to the point of revolting. Plus, many scientists try to make fail safe programs just in case. For instance, many robots can be programed not only to not hurt people, but can be programed to literaly freeze or even crash if the moment happens. Or if all else fails...whip out the magnet and watch iron sack freak.

I do think that people try too hard for the stupid robots. Things are getting too easy for mankind. But what can anyone do? Humans got too used to luxury. It'd be like taking candy away from a mutant PSYCHO baby with laser eyes...Kinda sad huh?