do you read manga or watch the anime first?

HeavenlyClassic

Manga is a lot easier for me to digest in a quicker span of time than anime series, so I tend to go with that medium most of the time, but I don't overwhelmingly lean toward manga or anime first since it can depend on the series. For example, I saw all of FMA 2003 years before I read the manga, which in turn I decided to read before watching Brotherhood due to the latter's rushed pacing and inferior comedic timing.

Depends on whether it's airing or not. If it's finished already, then I usually prefer reading the manga first, and then coming back to the anime if I feel that it's worth it.
When it's airing however, I'd rather just participate in the threads. That is unless every episode ends in an obnoxious cliffhanger that pushes me over the edge to start reading the manga.

Usually it's worth reading the manga of an adaption at some point, I think the only cases in which I can say the anime was better than the manga would be in Genshiken and Gintama (not counting LN adaptations that got a manga after).

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to stay surprised while watching anime so I will never read the manga first. To me it's like being spoiled if I were to watch the anime after reading the manga. I do usually read older mangas that have ended that are not likely going to get animated.

Edited by gumby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...