Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross

Koby

Fans of the Chrono series, what's your opinion concerning the two gems which can only be Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross. Which one did you feel was better? Are you an old-school gamer such as myself, and therefore 'forced' to side with the former because you had played the game many, many years ago? Or do you not care about the 'retro-ness' of Trigger, and prefer Chrono Cross for the 'improved graphics' and whatnot?

Personally, I would have to side with Chrono Trigger because I know much more about it then I do Cross. Also, the points that I made above have some semblance of an effect on me. I could play the game at any moment and find enjoyment in it; more so than I could with the second game in the Chrono series. Good graphics mean nothing to me, so that could never be a factor.

I feel the gameplay is the big winner for Trigger, as well as the fine cast of characters who seem to have a much more meaningful role then they did in Cross. An affectionate fan of Chrono Cross could try to oppose this, but I have seen that the majority of fans seem to think much of the same. Any thoughts?

Chrono Cross is a good game, nothing more. It just can't compare with Chrono Trigger, which is a reference when you talk about RPGs. The characters in CT are shallow at first, but they adquire depth during the game, which is something only one or two characters (if any) have in CC...

• 1 month later...

the chrono series:

chrono trigger:

great RPG released on the snes which set the way for many rpg's of its time. with in depth character progression, (plus character design by the guy from dragonball Z) the gameplay was awesome, with tech skills which you can combine with other characters and make stronger. the PSone conversion also gives the added drop in of CG cutscenes, which totally make the experience worth while.

chrono cross:

the sequel takes place with a different lead character and eventually you find out some stuff from the past, (chrono trigger) and what there events with time travel created upon the world. with stunning music and glorious cutscenes make this game a must.

So here's the question?

Which do you prefer and for what reasons?

I like both equally because both have strengths and weaknesses but please let me know your opinion.

• 6 months later...

Whee I'm playing this game for my first time... on PS1, really!!!

It's good, reminds me Final Fantasy even though the battle system is different.

But the story is great. Has anyone else played that. Probably everyone. How did I miss such a game before when it was released?

• 2 weeks later...

Chrono Cross has great history. Knowing nothing what to do in the game is pretty awesome. I like mysterious things xD.

Oh and they didn't make another Chrono Cross for PS2 and I doubt they will make one for PS3 now.

I was used to the FFVII battle system that I couldn't play with Chrono Cross xD until I asked an old man in the game lol. It's a lot different.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I love chrono cross it is one of my most favorite games of all time. i like cross better than trigger. chrono croos reminds me of the suikoden games.

Sadly my chrono cross disc 1 dissapeared and i haven't been able to play it since and that was about two years ago.

• 1 year later...
  • Koby changed the title to Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross