Morbid Action anime and manga

I am looking for anime and manga that are action tragedy, ones that have a lot of fighting, but are so morbid and seems or is completly hopeless to defeat the bad guys.

Some series that I have read and watched like that are

Devilman, all series and spin off's

Violence Jack

Android Kikaider

Gilgamesh

Cyborg 009

Kamen Rider, all manga series

Skullman

Way of Ryuu

Mars yokoyama mitsuteru

Robot Detective

There are some more, but I can't think of them right now.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

other than a few episodes of gilgamesh, I don't think I've seen the ones in your list, so I may be off on what I think you are looking for, but I've been looking for some of the same if I'm right.

Basilisk - tragady, action, blood, morbidity, has it all along with a tragic love story. The Koga and Iga ninja clans have peace forced on them by the Hanzo, but for political reasons the truce is abolished and the clans are ordered by the shogun to kill each other to determine a successor to the emperor. This happens as the two clans are finally getting used to peace and the heirs of both the clans are engaged to each other and very much in love.

Gantz - bloody and hopeless, but its more twisted and macabre. It has a lot of adult themes from swearing to sexual activity, make sure to get past the first 2 episodes before passing judgement on it. The only thing I can guarantee it hits on the head is the hopeless struggle and tragic aspects. Morbidity is mostly in the humor on this one.

Mirai Nikki (future diary) - this one won't hit the nail on the head but I think you might like it. Imagine a love story where one of the protagonists is also sociopathic serial killer in a survival game where a lot of people are trying to kill them both. Has very minor tragedy elements, but mostly on side characters, and other tragedy which I won't spoil.

Elfen Lied - a classic if you haven't already seen it, it has the serial killer protagonist in common with Mirai Nikki. You might not get the tragedy aspect until near the end though, and again, its not very morbid, at least not by atmosphere and feel, although it does get darker as it goes on. Has the tragedy and action parts down.

And that is about all I can come up with, sorry if they don't quite match what you were wanting, as basilisk is the only one I'm certain of. On the flip side, thanks for the series you mentioned, I remember that I liked gilgamesh and I will definitely have to check out the others.

I think the oly one on your list I havn't checked out is Balisk, so I will see what it is like.

The other ones on my list, some are manga onlt, or manga and live action only, but the live action arn't that great for those, and the manga are better.

Like kamen rider, Mars, Way of Ryuu and Robot Detective are manga and live action only, the rest I mentioned also have anime.

But with Devilman, watch the OVA's, not the 70's TV show.

But some of the ones I mentioned are also anime.

Edit, actualy I saw Bailisk 2 years ago, I just forgot the name.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

• 2 weeks later...