Power Outage!

Renzo

So, here's a hypothetical question for everyone.

Let's say, for whatever reason.. You power goes out. And it's out for multiple days. What do you do for another form of entertainment, that IS NOT modern technology?

This happened to me before, about 10 or so years ago. We had a really bad blizzard, the worst i've ever seen and our power got knocked out for almost 2 days. We had power lines down all over the place. It was pretty crazy. We weren't able to leave the house due to ice and snow conditions and school got cancelled for a whole week.

Books and board games again! I'd always recommend keeping a musical instrument at hand too. Plain paper notepads for drawing\doodles. I have the odd analogue SLR\Rangefinder camera with black and white film for photography opportunities. Cooking and cleaning up the house is also a valid time killer.

And if you don't want to do anything just have a power nap.

This happens maybe every one to two years, we will get a really bad storm that can knock the power out for 1 - 7 days. Usually during Cyclone season. Once all devices that use power run out such as phones, Nintendo DS's we resort to board games, books and other things (This is things to do while the winds and strong and it is pouring rain so you can't really go outside.

I guess drawing is another thing I like to do so avoid boredom.

We would be in trouble, because most of our food would go bad

To pass the time, probably Draw, play on DS, tablet, 2DS, and play Yu-Gi-Oh! with my mom, then play some bord games, if it was out for to long, call the electric company, then probably go out to the next town and go eat and play at an arcade.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

I'm going to read a lot and light candles all over the house for lighting. Maybe play a little DS, but only a little at a time so i can conserve battery. Relax, and curl up with a nice warm blanket.

I consider times like these a good time to hangout with friends and family. Play some board games, definitely board games. Chess, stratego, checkers, trivial pursuit... anything to pass the time.

lol last year the power at my families house was out for 11 days i had to listen to an old radio and play Othello(classic strategy board game) and Yu-gi-oh for most of the time. Well needless too say after the sixth day i had to get out the house, we started visiting the park nearby played with my puppy its a boxer mixed with i havent clue ha ha, there is a 1/2 mile running path we ran with him chasing us so we did that for 2 days after that visited my grandmothers house relaxed on her back porch where there is a bird feeders and abunch of trees so alot of animals live. So yeah during those eleven days we did alot of other things like gardening and stuff we also had a huge tent in our yard oh and if you're wondering about the fridge we grilled out every other day no wasted food lol.  

My apologies for any spelling/grammer errors was busy trying to remember all that lol

With modern tech out, I assume my awesome battery life laptop/phone/tablet are out? If so, I remember when I found solitaire pretty fun, especially with all the different versions, plus I have card games like Phase 10, Uno, Skip-Bo.... So long as it's not out a long time, I'd think I'd be ok. 3-4+ days at a time though? Nuh-huh. Crazy. I'm going somewhere that has electricity.

my build: lead acid battery bank with 10k watt inverter / 1000 watts (total) from polycrystalline solar panels (1000 watt backup generator / grid tie)

Most appliances in my house runs on 12v including my fridge, only my tv/computers are 120v.  Even if all systems fail i got a backup propane powered fridge.

The solar panels provide all the power i need.  Thankfully the tax credits for adding solar in my area is very helpful and the install is not difficult.  If i am not running my gaming computer, solar panels are able to provide enough power for the entire house and charge battery’s.  Its not hard to maintain your system just check your ph levels in your cells and clean your panels so dust does not build up and don't let your systems total charge drop below 70%.  Learning how to read a hydrometer and a charge controller takes no skill.  I have yet to lose power.  I still have to pay an electric bill and since i am grid tie i feed power back helping to offset my $8 dollar monthly bill.  Since my electric usage is not really high i might just go off grid.

I am working on building a low rpm pmg for a windmill or for peddle power.  On a side note i own guns and stock pile ammunition as a hobby and build my own fireworks and high power rocket motors. 

• 3 weeks later...