SOTW #109: Magical Girl Anime

Ah!  Looks like I really am going to be severely beat out.  No one has said a thing about mine.  Oh well, I'll just have to try harder next time.  I tried something different, but seems to have been a bad Idea.  LOL

:surrender::ewhz:

Edited by Dreamcastor Rei

Loki, Apollo, and Poe's entries all look like they made the background then slapped a render ontop last minute. There just isn't really any sort of blending or flow happening to make it look like it fits. For that reason neither of them hit my top 3 despite looking alright.

When making a signature, you should always ALWAYS pick your render first and then build your background around it. This way everything flows nicely, the lighting is all coming from the same source/direction, etc...

1. playlamegetfame - great job.

2. firedogx10 - Looks graphically well made!

3. Breathless - I don't like the border and the text doesn't really fit.

whoa excuse you?  i didn't see you enter so i really don't think you have room to trash our sigs like that.  until you start entering this kind of thing, you might wanna hold your tongue on things like that because i can only speak for myself but i'm not about to let someone who doesn't even make sigs anymore trash my work, or the work of my peers.  i'd like to see you make something better than what we have made, without linking to something from the ancient past.  make a new sig better than what we've posted then maybe i'll let you talk to me like that but until then you'd better chill that out because that's simply unacceptable.

Edited by Loki

Loki, Apollo, and Poe's entries all look like they made the background then slapped a render ontop last minute. There just isn't really any sort of blending or flow happening to make it look like it fits. For that reason neither of them hit my top 3 despite looking alright.

When making a signature, you should always ALWAYS pick your render first and then build your background around it. This way everything flows nicely, the lighting is all coming from the same source/direction, etc...

1. playlamegetfame - great job.

2. firedogx10 - Looks graphically well made!

3. Breathless - I don't like the border and the text doesn't really fit.

whoa excuse you?  i didn't see you enter so i really don't think you have room to trash our sigs like that.  until you start entering this kind of thing, you might wanna hold your tongue on things like that because i can only speak for myself but i'm not about to let someone who doesn't even make sigs anymore trash my work, or the work of my peers.  i'd like to see you make something better than what we have made, without linking to something from the ancient past.  make a new sig better than what we've posted then maybe i'll let you talk to me like that but until then you'd better chill that out because that's simply unacceptable.

The whole point of voting is for C&C. If you can't handle people talking about your work, then you shouldn't post it in a competition where it's the voters job to point out the flaws and give their opinions.

Chill out, or see yourself no longer permitted to enter the competition as to avoid unwanted childish drama.

playlamegetfame - Although this is an older signature, I still love it.

Breathless - I really like where you were going with this, but I feel like some things didn't exactly work. For example, the whole image seems too bright, and the font choice could be better. Also, the blending is done really well.

Apollo - Your backgrounds, man. How do?

Great job, everybody. I'm always glad to see so many entries. :3

Edited by poetictragedy

wow seems kind of extreme to threaten that n_n

and for the record, defending my honor as a graphics maker against that kind of malicious attack shouldn't constitute as "childish drama" because that kind of commentary is just plain rude no matter how you try to slice it.

I'm sorry you felt my criticism was an attack on your graphical ability. I certainly didn't intend for it to be, nor did I expect the response I got from it. I simply pointed out what it appeared to be to me from a graphical standpoint. I've asked the rest of the staff to discuss the matter together to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. I'm not threatening anything either, I wanted to make sure the issue was taken care of without any abuse, hence why I called the staff in for their observation and opinion. I just meant that criticism comes with the territory and if you aren't mature enough to handle it then it'd be better for the community to simply not let you compete. I've been told you're often very confrontational about things and that's very apparent in this case as well. Although the fact that there was likely some misunderstanding/miscommunication somewhere is also likely. The fact remains, your response wasn't warranted and if you had a problem with something you could have came to me and asked me to clarify better about what I meant rather than respond aggressively.

The idea that criticism is invalid because it comes from someone who doesn't create or hasn't created in a while is rather odd, and if that would be the case then no one should be allowed to vote at all unless they have submitted works. Which would really limit the voters to only those actually participating, which would then pretty much make the whole competition as a whole a m00t point when it's the same 3-5 people voting each week. It doesn't take an active graphic maker to be able to critique graphics. I've been designing things professionally since 2004. Suddenly because I've gotten busy in life... my experience and knowledge in graphical work and critique becomes inadequate?

• Like 2

Firedog-  only thing I had against this was a lack of border, otherwise I love the action shot, very solid color matching :).

Dreamcaster- only thing I have with this is your character seems so still otherwise I loved the color meshing, and border, bit bright for my tastes, but not something that I want to penalise for.

playlame- the only things I have against this.  I have seen this signature on you so the term of nostalgia I guess?  also your text does not really fit in where you have it placed.  It pulls alot of attention to it, and pulls away from the characters, partly I guess because the font type seems a bit off?  otherwise it is an amazing piece of work.

Hey guys. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Breathless - It's like a pretty waterbender. A little bright to the right, but that's alright.

poetictragedy - Nice and simple.

Apollo - And don't forget Pluto.♫ Pluto will always be a planet to me!!! The sepia thing going on really goes well with her skin.

• Like 1

1. PLGF - 'Nostalgia' is right, haha. I've always enjoyed this sig. It's really well made, so good job!
2. Firedogx10 - Looks like a painting of a scene, totally awesome!
3. Apollo - The colour scheme looks great and the render is well placed! A snapshot of awesomeness, nice work!

(and in the spirit of things - in no particular order)

Dreamcastor - It's not a bad work, it has that familiar dreamcastor touch to it. It still looks good, but it didn't stand out for me. 
Loki - Sailor Moon, how can I not like it? A well placed render and the colours aren't bad. I feel the sig is a little 'flat' though. 

Poe - To me, this work and Apollo's work felt very similar. Good colour scheme and a well placed render with some lighting in the bg. (this isn't the best but i just tossed a coin to pick one)

- This week had a lot of entries (and votes), so wooh! Hopefully this keeps up, haha. It was a lot of fun! 

I appreciate the C&C, everyone. Koby, I just wanted you to know that while I can't speak for everyone, I certainly did more than just slap a render on top of a background. I did start with the render. I always do. I built the backgound around her, and I had to mute Pluto's colors big time so that she would match the muted pallette I was going for. And then I had a series of color layers and color balances and stuff to make sure it all matched, looked okay, and had the color scheme I was going for.

To be fair, I know it isn't my best work. I haven't made anything in AGES, so this was kind of my first in a while, and I just wanted to enter SOMETHING because I missed the competitions. But I still think it looks more than just thrown together. I kind of felt it had a finished, polished, matchy look. I'm sorry that you think I didn't really do anything, but I will take your criticism with everyone else's and use it to better myself. Obviously, not everyone felt the same way that you did. But everyone's entitled to their opinions, just as we should be able to defend our work.

That's fine if different people think I'm just okay, or I suck, or I'm good, or whatever. I can't please everyone. Different people will see different things when they look at my work. Ultimately, I do it because I enjoy it and I find it fun. So really, I'm just trying to please myself.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 3