Return of the Kametsu Newsletter!

It's no problem, Breathless. I figured you'd probably touch it up after I moved it, haha. It looks fine regardless. Even if it may not get published immediately, I'd still like for it to be done--that way it's out of the way and we're not trying to edit it later on in the month when you've already moved on from that piece.

And tech problems happen, it seems like the season for it.

Like I said, if anyone sneaks in any articles on the 13th or 14th, it's fine, just don't make it a habit~

• Like 3

Dan, I made a copy of your article in Needs Editing. The original is still in the Drafts folder~

And yay, laptop, haha. I'm lucky to have several backup computers in case anything goes down with my desktop, but it's a hassle.

ETA: I'd like to have all the articles edited by the end of the day today so tomorrow when I get back from the library we can start piecing together the newsletter and building the PDF.

As far as I can tell, we have enough articles for all categories. We only need to edit one more Entertainment article (I really tried to get stuff in there, but I'm not a massive consumer, gomen), two for Art & Lit (I'll mark the ones that should be edited first), and two for Tech (sort of--they both had prelim edits done, and seem to be pending writer review).

The forum version will be built in the staff area so I can play with layout. Unfortunately, this means any crew not on staff will be unable to view it prior to publication. I'll post up screenshots in the Drive so you guys can see what it looks like and it's not a surprise when it does go up.

When the first issue goes up, I'll be closing out this thread and starting a new one. That way it doesn't look so intimidating, since this one is already nearing ten pages.

(We really need our own subforum, this is ridic, lmaooo.)

It depends on the nature of the comment. I make most corrections myself--punctuation, spelling, and other little bits. If it's larger, like rewriting a sentence, moving stuff around, or deleting entire sentences, I leave a comment and generally don't do it myself. That's with the expectation that the writer will make the change however they see fit. Either way, I'll indicate whether I've changed it or not.

The only exception is if I'm cutting for word count. It's easier to just go ahead with those larger changes myself and bring it to size, since I don't know if anyone wants to have extensive Skype sessions with me about it. And with the two week deadline, having this kind of extended conversation for every single article is pretty time consuming.

It depends on the nature of the comment. I make most corrections myself--punctuation, spelling, and other little bits. If it's larger, like rewriting a sentence, moving stuff around, or deleting entire sentences, I leave a comment and generally don't do it myself. That's with the expectation that the writer will make the change however they see fit. Either way, I'll indicate whether I've changed it or not.

The only exception is if I'm cutting for word count. It's easier to just go ahead with those larger changes myself and bring it to size, since I don't know if anyone wants to have extensive Skype sessions with me about it. And with the two week deadline, having this kind of extended conversation for every single article is pretty time consuming.

That's good to know.  I've been wondering if I'm expected to change them or if you're asking if I agree with the change.

Can I ask that we establish some sort of explicit signal for editors to use in the future that says "hey author, I'd like you to make a choice this change!" so that we don't get confused when inevitably a vague comment gets written? Not saying that I've read any, just planning ahead. Maybe prefix all comments that are meant to be addressed by the author with an & or a @ (both start with the letter a when spelled out for author).

The only comments that are wrote are usually towards the author anyway, I haven't seen one that's just random comments yet and they tend to say things like "change this sentence" etc etc so that isnt really an issue Dae since only editors really put up comments and are the only ones who should really since the drive is just for uploaded works and whatnot, not compliments, may sound a bit mean but it's true

I've been using a similar process, EO. If I'm changing wording or something, I like to leave a comment, so the author can see what I have changed or what should be changed. If it's punctuation or spelling corrections, I won't leave a comment.

Yeah same here. Though I've only looked at two articles I think. So busy :(

As mentioned, I've only ever seen comments on works directed towards writers and only by editors. Additionally, I have yet to see a single vague comment as far as editing goes and I stalk almost everybody's work. These are the kinds of comments I leave.

"[article text]

You can cut this line since you later repeat it."

"Needs to be cleaned up a li'l.

[example change]

It's up to you how to rewrite it, it's just a little clumsy right now."

I can leave notes in the ToC too if it helps, but I honestly don't think we have a problem with people understanding what to do when the editors leave a comment. It's not like we're having random conversations over there. I think it's pretty obvious that when comments are left, it's meant to be addressed by the writer, whether or not the change was made for them, and not for random passers-by who might be reading the text.

Right now the system is very clean and running efficiently, but this is the first iteration. There will eventually be obscurities in the system, and what I suggested was mainly for future-proofing. Also... forgot to edit my thing last night T_T.

Edited it just now ^^.

Edited by Dae314

As I was piecing together the newsletter for publication, I ran into a small issue.

For people who have images in your articles, please provide a direct link to the image you've used. Otherwise I'm going to have to replace it myself and I can't promise I'll end up using the exact same one you found.

I can't figure out a way to view image URLs once an image is embedded into a document--if anyone knows how, that'd be pretty cool, otherwise I've got a mess of images in people's articles I can't use.

Yes, please. The Google Doc image link looks like this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/2wyJ4kxvQesrGgrRegzl1ZrEcU_PLYXtSmlYpe7lVA1xbRz2CEwZepwuek6mFflMKZdxyu120I_yL-pK4Lmt65IKWSSegIePCvQZo-s80i9kaKeYR1jtzcPq

Meaning I can't use them on the forum.

I've already rehosted the images, but for future reference! I didn't know it'd be a problem either, bluh. I'll reflect it in the FAQ later when I'm less dead.

Anyway, I've already completed the forum version of the newsletter and am working on the downloadable versions. Screenshots of the forum version will be on the drive in the next hour or so.