Breathless' random story thing!

Breathless

Okay, so it's so hot that I can't sleep. And so I decided to write a story - or at least a part of it. I literally just typed it up a minute ago and copy and pasted it here, I proof-read it once or twice changing anything that annoys me but beware it was a rush-job. Also, I thought that just a regular story might be boring so I wanted to try something different. I'm going to end the chapter with a choice for the reader to decide. Something like those old do-it-yourself adventure books. e.g. The Goosebumps series.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy.

I stumble out of the alleyway, my clothes drenched in sweat.

My eyes shake violently and my vision deteriorates. My mind is white. Completely empty, just a swirling daze.

I look back to see if they’re still following me, I can’t see them. I think I’m safe. But still, I can’t shake off this feeling that I’m in danger.

It must be my imagination. There’s no way I’d be thinking straight in my condition.

I close my eyes and use the wall as a support.

“What was that?” I remember the scene I just witnessed.

It was a massacre. A group of men in black suits killed people. How many people? I can’t remember exactly… My memory is hazy for some reason, but it wasn’t an insignificant amount.

Don’t get me wrong though, even one death is significant.

But this was different.

This was on a completely different scale.

So why? Why can’t I remember exactly what happened?

“What’s wrong? You look terrible.” A voice calls out to me.

It’s a boy’s voice. I know him, his name is Jayce and we went to high school together.

We still keep in contact via email and texts but he doesn't go out often so this is the first time seeing him since school.

What luck, he might be the perfect person to run into.

I decide to talk to Jayce about what I just saw.

“Listen, Jayce. Do you have some time?”

“I guess. I was just about to go home.”

“In that case, I need to talk to you.”

He remains silent for a second before asking ‘Is it serious?’

I give him a nod.

“… Okay. Let’s go to a café and talk”

I’m thankful that he realized how serious I was so quickly. He’s always had a keen sense for what was serious and what wasn’t.

“What did you want to talk about?” Jayce asks immediately after arriving at the café.

I give a quick glance to my surroundings. Glad to there’s no one around, I let out a sigh and look at Jayce.

“I saw something… strange today… Not anything supernatural but it felt out of place.”

He gives a silent nod as he rests his chin on his hands.

Silence fills the café. Not because there’s no one here but from my own mouth. I stopped talking. For some reason I can’t remember what I wanted to talk about.

Why?

It’s important. Something happened. Something big happened.

So why?

It was so significant that it makes me uncomfortable.

So why can’t I remember it?

“Noah? What did you see?” Jayce speaks up.

I guess he found it strange that I just suddenly fell silent. That’s the natural reaction after all- I initiated the conversation and stopped midway, of course he would find it odd.

“No… Never mind. I’m going to go home.”

“Okay. I was headed back home too so we can walk part of the way together.”

Jayce lives around the same area as me so we go home in the same direction.

We get up and end up leaving the café. I get a strange feeling that someone is trailing us.

Who is it?

Even after walking for ten minutes the feeling doesn’t go away. Someone is following us, I’m sure of it. I take a glance behind us in an attempt to catch them but the streets are always empty.

The streets are empty?

Now that I think about it… The café was empty too… Isn’t that strange? Its peak hour and it’s been completely empty ever since I left the alleyway.

Was it empty before then?

I can’t remember.

Why?

Why Can’t I remember?

Something is wrong.

Something is wrong, and it has to do with the person that’s trailing us. I’m willing to bet money on it.

But what do I do?

What can I do?

============

Choices!

Option A: Ignore it. It might be your imagination after all!

Option B: Let Jayce know you think someone is following you. Maybe he can help!

Option C: Confront who - or whatever is following you, right now!

Edited by Breathless
  • Like 2

Thanks for the votes/feedback everyone! So it looks like we're going with option C!

I’ll confront the person following me. I decide to do it alone, it might just be my imagination but if it's real it’s too important to ignore.

I clench my fist as if to strengthen my resolve.

“Okay. This is where we split.” Jayce says as we reach a crossroad.

“Email me if you want to talk about what was bothering you.”

I hear his voice but it doesn’t register in my mind.

Jayce is leaving me.

He’s going away.

I’m going to be alone.

I had already decided to do it alone. But… It’s still scary!

I gulp down my saliva and clear my throat.

I give him an absent-minded nod and he walks away with a wave, leaving my sight completely.

My eyes shoot around the surroundings looking for anything useful.

The person following me might have a weapon so I can’t just jump at him.

Maybe they just want to talk?

That can’t be it, if they wanted to talk they wouldn’t be following me silently.

I see something on the side of the street, it looks like a steal rod.

As I get closer I can see that it’s a baseball bat.

Maybe this can help.

I pick it up and give it a swing; it cuts through the air creating a clean 'swish' sound.

"Okay!" I mumble under my breath, content with what I found.

I turn around to look for the stalker, but... I see something... Or rather, Someone.

A teenager is standing out in the open – is that the one who was following me?

I can’t tell if it’s a boy or girl on first glance but I think it’s a boy with pretty features.

He's glaring at me with eyes full of hate and I glare back as if it’s the natural thing to do.

“What do you want from me?” I ask but he doesn't reply.

"You were following me, right? What do you want?”

After a long silence the boy speaks up softly.

“...Is he your friend?”

I give off a small nod but I’m not sure who exactly he is talking about. I think he's talking about Jayce.

“… Don’t hang around him anymore.”

“What?”

“...Don’t hang around that... man anymore.”

I start to get angry. I don't know if it's because he's talking quietly or if it's the tone he's using when he refers to Jayce, but I'm starting to feel my blood boil.

“Why should I listen to you?” The words 'you' roll of my tongue with disdain.

“…”

The boy falls silent again, this is a waste of time.

I turn around and start walking away.

“Wait.” The boy calls out to stop me.

“What now?”

Before the boy replies I hear the sounds of an explosion.

My heart skips a beat and my hairs stand on edge. It came from Jayce’s direction!

I run over to the boy and pick him up by his shirt and slamming him against a wall.

“What was that!?” My voice has become a little shaky…

“Your friend…”

He gives a toothy grin while looking in Jayce’s direction and then looks back at me.

“Look for yourself if you don’t believe me.”

So he becomes talkative now! I don't know why but this brat really pisses me off!

I click my tongue and strengthen my grip on the boy, lifting him off of the wall then slamming him back against it.

I feel the impact through my hands but the boy just smirks.

Seeing him unhurt only gets me more angry but I can't be wasting time here, I can hear more explosive sounds.

They're becoming louder and the instances between them are growing shorter

Shit.

I need to figure out what I want to do!

============

Choices!

Option A: Drag the boy with you to Jayce, Jayce might be in danger, but you can't let this brat go!

Option B: There’s no time, Jayce could be in danger! Run straight there!

Option C: Ignore the sounds and keep talking to the boy, He knows what’s going on!

Author's Notes:

This is actually my second version of the chapter. I wrote the first version a couple of days ago and was going to post it but I felt like it was moving in the wrong direction, so I changed it.

I had fun writing this chapter but I had the next chapter in mind while writing it - Hopefully it turned out okay!

Anyway, thank you all again for reading / replying to the story! I really appreciate it. Of course all feedback is welcome!

Edited by Breathless
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay everyone, I’ve been a bit tied up until now. It’s been a month, and to be honest I don’t even remember my original plans anymore. I hope nothing seems out of place!

… Anyway, I decided to use a Random Number Generator to decide between A and B. It looks like we’re going with Option B: Run straight to Jayce!
I do hope you enjoy!

‘Shit’.

The word surges through my mind.

I should have told Jayce about it. I don’t know why I didn’t.

Is it because I don’t trust him?

It doesn’t matter anymore, I messed up!

I start running towards Jayce. I don’t know his location but I run in the general direction.

A loud noise invades my ears. It sounds as if something heavy and metal was knocked over followed by some muffled screams.

He's close. I can get there soon!

By the time I get to the source of the sound my breathing is rugged and I’m feeling faint.

I let out a gasp for air.

After catching my breathe I look at my surrounds.

What… Is this?

What is happening?

Jayce has his hand around a grown man’s face and has lifted him off the floor.

I tackle Jayce without thinking.

“What are you doi-“
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Jayce cuts me off, his voice filled with anger.

He kicks me off of him.

My vision turns upside down. The world is spinning.

I feel an impact on my back as I slam into a wall.

“----------!”

I gasp for air but nothing enters my lungs.

It’s so painful… It hurts so much… I can’t breathe…

The insides of my mouth taste like metal and salt. So this is what blood tastes like.

I look at Jayce and the man from a distance. They’re about 10 meters away now.

The man is wearing a black suit…

That suit, it makes me feel uneasy. My chest tightens and my head aches. It feels like my mind is splitting into two.

I grit my teeth to bare the pain and continue to watch.

The scene before me looks like it’s from a movie. Jayce and the black suited man are fighting.

But…

What they are doing doesn’t seem human.

That’s not it. Only Jayce doesn’t seem human.

Every time his fist hits a wall it looks like it was hit by a bomb. The bricks explode into a fog of debris and dust leaving gaping holes in buildings.

On the other hand is the black suited man. He’s not moving fast, it looks like he has no power at all. But not a single punch of Jayce’s has touched him.

The more I watch this fight the more my head feels like splitting.

Jayce throws another punch but misses, hitting a wall creating more destruction.

A rock flies towards my eyes. I shut them by reflex.

“Kuh!” my voice escapes me as I feel my cheek get cut. The sensation of blood trickles down my skin.

When I reopen my eyes I can only see Jayce. The black suit has completely vanished and Jayce stands with a sour look on his face. A look that tells me I’m in danger.

I shouldn’t have come here…

Why did I come here...?

Can I survive this?

Something inside of me tells me that I can’t survive. That I’m going to die.

And it’s because of that feeling that I run.

I run as hard as I can. The air burns my lungs, my whole body aches, but I still run.

I run and I run.

I can’t stop running.

I’ll die if I stop running.

I have to run.

I have to live!

My heart begins to beat louder and louder. The wind presses against my face.

What is this? I'm fast... I don’t think I’ve ever been this fast.

My legs come to a stop.

“Jayce…”

Jayce stands in front of me. His face is clearly showing enmity towards me.

“Did you actually think I’d let you get away?” His voice shakes with contempt.

“-----“  I open my mouth but no words come out.

I divert my vision from him. It’s too scary…

I dart my eyes around my surroundings when something catches my attention.

‘Is that… A black suit?’ I question my own eyes.

I can see something that looks like a black suit but I’m not sure.

I glance back over to Jayce. His eyes still show enmity.

A fear instills in me I never knew I had.

I gulp down my saliva and clear my throat.

============
Choices!
Option A: Run! It’s better than dying without a fight!
Option B: Try and talk to Jayce, maybe you can reason with him!
Option C: Call out to the black suit. If it’s the same person as before, maybe he can help!

• Like 1

Okay. This time we went with Option B, “Try and talk to Jayce”! I actually was so close to turning this into a [bad End] route haha, but I persisted against it. Anyway, once again the story is derailing away from what I had planned – but I’m still happy with the direction it’s going in. Hopefully you guys think so too!

Also, I was doing my final touch-up edits and about to post this when my browser decided to crash all of a sudden. So this is the some-what unedited version. - Please enjoy!

He’s serious. He’ll kill me if I try anything. I have to calm him down.

I reaffirm my resolve to talk to Jayce. It has to be a misunderstanding, there’s no way Jayce would actually try and kill me.

“Jay-“

Before I can even finish calling out his name he’s got his leg is pulled back and ready to kick. My mind slows right down. I see his leg move ever so slowly to my body.

‘Move… Move damn it!’ I try to get my body to move but I’m just standing there.

His foot connects to my chest. Pain shoots through my body. My ribs ache and my world begins to fade.

My mind swirls in a white haze.

Where… am I? I don’t remember… I don’t remember anything… Why…

My heart beats loudly. It’s the only thing I’m aware of. It’s the only thing that exists.

Th-Thump. Th-Thump. Th-Thump.

It’s calling me…

My mind snaps back to reality. My vision is still blurry but I see Jayce towering over me with a disappointed face.

What’s his problem? I try to get back up on my feet but my legs give out immediately and I fall to the floor.

A mix of vomit and blood is projected out of my mouth. My mind begins to swirl even heavier.

Th-Thump.

Is this… the end? Is this how I die?

Th-Thump. Th-Thump.

My vision yields to a curtain of white fog. Nothingness…

Everything fades away. Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, all of it, gone. But something else is here. Something else still remains.

A rush of ecstasy courses through my body alongside pangs of hunger.

It feels as if I haven’t eaten in years. The back of my stomach sticks to the front, my sides feel tight and are beginning to cramp up. It should hurt but for some reason it feels strangely good.

“Hahahaha!” A sudden outburst of laughter brings back sound. This familiar voice… It’s aggravating.

It’s that fucking brat again!

My mind wakes up and my eyes gain focus. I see a massacre around me. Buildings that were here a moment ago have vanished. A layer of blood flows atop of the ground, dyeing everything crimson.

I see the kid leaning over something trying to contain his own laughter.

“What’s this, so he wasn’t your friend after all? You should have said so to begin with!” He continues to chuckle even as he speaks.

My eyes lose focus and a feeling of shock overcomes me.

“What the fuck did you do to Jayce!? Get away from him!”

I almost lose my mind as I realize that it's Jayce on the floor.

He turns his head and looks at me almost as if I’ve gone insane.

“Nothing?” He speaks almost as if he’s asking me a question.

“Besides, he was trying to kill you. So why are you treating him like a friend?”

His words hit me hard. He’s right. Jayce did try to kill me… Why did he do that? No… More importantly, how did he end up like that?

“I don’t give a fuck! Get away from him!” I shout at the top of my lungs

I walk towards them slowly and in return the boy backs off with an equal pace.

“hahaha!” His maniacal laugh echoes through the now-desolate town.

“You both are lunatics!” He clicks his fingers after stating so and two men in black suits come to his aid.

If they fight me, I’m dead. I don't doubt it for a moment. But I continue to walk towards Jayce and the boy.

“I’ll kill you… I’ll definitely kill you.” Words leave my mouth before they register in my brain. A sudden pang of hunger overrides all thought.

“Yeah, yeah.” He replies sarcastically and with a wave of his hand he begins to walk away.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Weren’t you going to save him?” The boy looks back at me and points to Jayce.

I don’t know why… But the urge to kill the kid has my blood boiling.

But....

I take a quick glimpse to Jayce and then refocus on the boy.

============

Choices!

Option A: Chase after the boy, something in your body is telling you to do so!

Option B: Tend to Jayce, he’s in critical condition!

Edited by Breathless

We went with Option A: 'Chase after the boy, something in your body is telling you to do so'. I feel I may be rushing the story too much, but oh well. It's all funzies. Once again, I hope you enjoy. Also, thank you for taking the time to read and vote!

I walk towards the boy, one step at a time, slowly, calmly. Jayce doesn't even register in my mind, the only things in my mind are hunger and rage.

“Not going to save him?” The boy clicks his fingers and a black suit readies a gun.

The surrounding sceneries turn into a blur and moments later I find the black suit’s throat in my hand.

What… is going on…? I don’t understand…

As soon as I gave in to the urge of killing the boy, my body began to move like I never knew capable.

My lips curl into a grin and my voice escapes me.

“Why would I save him? After I’m done with you, I’ll kill him myself.”

No! What am I saying...? That’s not what I want!

I get the feeling of bone and flesh being crushed together in my hand. The Black suits body goes limp and is tossed aside like a ragdoll.

“Heeh… So you decided to come out and play again. Are you going to put on another show?”

What is he saying… another show? What does he mean by ‘come out and play again’? I don’t understand…

“That’s right. And this time, you’re the opening act.” I begin to speak before thinking again.

… No. This isn’t me speaking. Who the fuck is this?

“Get ready, girly.”

My body moves too fast for my mind to keep up. I’m launched towards the brat, my fist flies through the sky creating a crater as it hits the floor.

The kid takes a short sidesteps to dodge the incoming attacks. Every punch hits air or concrete, but doesn’t touch flesh once.

… What the hell. Is this all a dream? All I wanted to do today was t-

Memories of the day begin to come back to me. Vivid pictures of the black suits killing everyone in sight flows into my head. They were shooting everyone in sight.

I was in the center of it all, hiding between some boxes in an alleyway. They would leave eventually. Or at least, that’s what I thought.

But reality was different… They were methodical, meticulous. They searched everywhere, leaving no place untouched.

I would hear scuffling noises as they searched for survivors, and occasionally they would find someone hiding. The sounds of gunshots and screams would follow.

Finally, I heard footsteps walking towards me. A shadow loomed into the alleyway, a hand pulling away the boxes…

My memories end here, and the next thing I remember is running out of another alleyway and into Jayce…

My eyes click back to what's happening in front of me. I hear Jayce mumble incoherently and my body jumps back and takes a quick glance.

Jayce is awake.

‘Which one?’ I hear a voice in my mind. It’s not my own voice, but someone else’s. First my body, now my mind? As if I’m going to give it all to you!

GET OUT OF MY BODY!

I scream with all of my being, but my body doesn’t even twitch, rather it continues to watch the situation develop with a smirk.

‘What’s your name?’ The voice asks me.

“Noah…” My voice comes out of my mouth, my own voice.

I stretch out my arm to test if I really have control of my body. It follows through, reaching for the sky.

I hear the sound of air getting sliced. A helicopter? The police?

I strain my eyes to look into the helicopter, it doesn’t look like the police. Maybe it’s the government.

“Hey Noah… What’s going on?” Jayce’s voice gives me a fright.

You tried to kill me!

That’s what I want to say, but I can’t bring myself actually saying it.

Wait! What about the kid!

I turn my head to face where he was, but he’s gone now. It’s just me and Jayce here.

The wind gets stronger as the helicopter lowers and slowly comes to a halt.

Multiple people get out, all wearing different expressions. Most of them look like they’re in fear, but some have a look of excitement in their eyes.

Two of them, a man and woman, are completely expressionless.

They walk up towards where Jayce and I are and extend out an open hand.

“Come with us.”

Even if they say that, there’s no way I can trust them. My body reacts to their next words.

“We can tell you about those people inside of you. But you’ll have to come with us.”

============
Choices!
Option A: Go with them, you need the information they have!
Option B: Run away, this seems too suspicious!
Option C: Fight them, they want to kill you anyway!

Hmm. I'm gonna laugh if this turns out to a fever dream or something, haha.

I feel like if Noah/Jayce try to run, they're going to end up getting tranq'd or something, and I'm pretty sure trying to fight them would be rather silly. But also I'm wrong 99% of the time. I'm gonna go with A anyway, on the assumption Noah/Jayce recognise they're outnumbered and also I think they're stupid and it seems like the perfect thing to do.