Does any one know of a good converting softwere?

franko446

any good converting software's out there that are free and can convert files to mp4 format?

*spelt software wrong in title don't think i can edit it lol.

oh and does any one know how i go about converting only the English dubbed version of an anime that is duel audio so i can use mp4 to add it to iTunes.

thanks. :)

Edited by franko446

FullMetalRaven pointed me towards Handbrake and as far as I can see, it works like a charm. I took a 740MB 1080p anime episode, dual audio MKV and it became a 449MB 1080p MP4.

There is no reason and no point in re-encoding.

MKV and MP4 are containers. The actual video is still just h264. So remuxing is ALL you need to do. Remux the MKV to MP4.

Every time you re-encode from a lossy source, you create quality loss.

Use MKVExtract to extract the video and audio stream you want. Then use MP4Box or Yamb to mux into MP4.

I used to use mkvextract and my mp4box. But for some reason mp4 does't take subs that aren't hard encoded or something like that.

You can have soft subs inside of mp4, but I believe they have to be ttxt. I think mp4box will take, and convert, srt subtitles. The only problem is you'll lose most, if not all, of your formatting. That's because srt doesn't support karaoke, or any of the other advanced features .ass offers. What you end up with will hopefully look no worse than the subtitles on a DVD. This is probably why most people just burn them in instead. I don't know if fapple supports soft subs, so they may not work on your isuck device. Could be another reason why people choose to burn them in.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...