Say it. Get it off your chest thread! @_@

coffeeNiK

For sure, it's a 24 hour job, but they better have a good reason for breaking crew rest. We would legit get people telling us it's okay to break crew rest even though there's not an emergency. Crew rest isn't even a local thing we just randomly do, that's AF-wide. We won't do a lot of good if we're running on fumes and making dumb mistakes because we're falling asleep at the controls.

Folks on mids would get shafted so much--we'd work a full shift, be told we have to do some admin stuff in the morning, and they'd ignore us for hours. If we worked 1830 to 0730 and day shift doesn't even roll in until 0900 (and no one likes getting mobbed soon as they come inside the fence, so you gotta wait at least another fifteen minutes before they're "ready"), I'm not gonna be happy about it.

Work the night before and then tell me I gotta come in that afternoon to do admin stuff when I have to work that night again? Or you know I'm on mids, but you'll email me at 10 in the morning telling me I need to get stuff done at 1400 that same day, and then try to string me up for not getting it done even though I was on crew rest? No thanks.

And I know for sure that mistreating folks who work shift isn't just a military thing.

hurgleblakdfadffgl

In other news, I don't understand why people post questions to the NaNo group and then get mad when people don't answer it the way they wanted. If you present a choice but then you're going to rail against people who pick a certain choice, then it's clear you have a preference and you don't want any input.

Someone asked a while back if "alright" is acceptable to use in dialogue or if it should be "all right".

Of course there were mixed responses. Any time someone said "alright" is never acceptable, the OP would try to argue and disagree. Eventually people were like, "You obviously want to use 'alright', so just use it. Why are you asking for our input if you already made up your mind?"

Another time someone posted something along the lines of "A character's father thinks everyone has a price. How much money would it take for you to turn your back on your friends, family, loved ones, coworkers--everyone you've ever cared about--and join the dark side? Money is the only offer on the table."

People couldn't fathom doing such a thing for just money, so they were trying to figure out more about the story. Is the character especially greedy? Is the character down on their luck and the money would be a boon? Can there be more to the deal, like power, guaranteed safety of loved ones?

OP got upset and said he just wanted a number. People still wouldn't give a number and those who did provided numbers (billions) beyond what the fictional father could offer (he is only a millionaire).

Despite people's attempts at helping him flesh out his characters and motivations, OP instead got offended and abandoned thread. I don't think OP understood how human beings actually work.

Fucking getting paid by card sucks. You're charged so much for this or that use of it... they claim your bank will cash it for free but they refuse because the card has your workplace instead of your name listed on it and thus no way of proving the card belongs to you... The "free" cash options are via atm and thus only increments of $20 is allowed, but then you find out none of those places even exist in your area.

Apparently to cash your paycheck you've got to use it as a debit card and buy something at the store and select cash back then pay a fee because you used it. So you must pay to receive your paycheck...

This shit ain't cool.

Fucking getting paid by card sucks. You're charged so much for this or that use of it... they claim your bank will cash it for free but they refuse because the card has your workplace instead of your name listed on it and thus no way of proving the card belongs to you... The "free" cash options are via atm and thus only increments of $20 is allowed, but then you find out none of those places even exist in your area. Apparently to cash your paycheck you've got to use it as a debit card and buy something at the store and select cash back then pay a fee because you used it. So you must pay to receive your paycheck... This shit ain't cool.

That shit really ain't cool.  That is one messed up system.  I've never heard of such a thing here in Nc.  You shouldn't have to pay to get paid...doesn't make sense at all.

For sure, it's a 24 hour job, but they better have a good reason for breaking crew rest. We would legit get people telling us it's okay to break crew rest even though there's not an emergency. Crew rest isn't even a local thing we just randomly do, that's AF-wide. We won't do a lot of good if we're running on fumes and making dumb mistakes because we're falling asleep at the controls.

Folks on mids would get shafted so much--we'd work a full shift, be told we have to do some admin stuff in the morning, and they'd ignore us for hours. If we worked 1830 to 0730 and day shift doesn't even roll in until 0900 (and no one likes getting mobbed soon as they come inside the fence, so you gotta wait at least another fifteen minutes before they're "ready"), I'm not gonna be happy about it.

Work the night before and then tell me I gotta come in that afternoon to do admin stuff when I have to work that night again? Or you know I'm on mids, but you'll email me at 10 in the morning telling me I need to get stuff done at 1400 that same day, and then try to string me up for not getting it done even though I was on crew rest? No thanks.

And I know for sure that mistreating folks who work shift isn't just a military thing.

In other news, I don't understand why people post questions to the NaNo group and then get mad when people don't answer it the way they wanted. If you present a choice but then you're going to rail against people who pick a certain choice, then it's clear you have a preference and you don't want any input.

Someone asked a while back if "alright" is acceptable to use in dialogue or if it should be "all right".

Of course there were mixed responses. Any time someone said "alright" is never acceptable, the OP would try to argue and disagree. Eventually people were like, "You obviously want to use 'alright', so just use it. Why are you asking for our input if you already made up your mind?"

Another time someone posted something along the lines of "A character's father thinks everyone has a price. How much money would it take for you to turn your back on your friends, family, loved ones, coworkers--everyone you've ever cared about--and join the dark side? Money is the only offer on the table."

People couldn't fathom doing such a thing for just money, so they were trying to figure out more about the story. Is the character especially greedy? Is the character down on their luck and the money would be a boon? Can there be more to the deal, like power, guaranteed safety of loved ones?

OP got upset and said he just wanted a number. People still wouldn't give a number and those who did provided numbers (billions) beyond what the fictional father could offer (he is only a millionaire).

Despite people's attempts at helping him flesh out his characters and motivations, OP instead got offended and abandoned thread. I don't think OP understood how human beings actually work.

This one I especially hate is "Oh did you get my email." Like me getting your email when I literally watch my platoon sergeants inbox fill up over the course of the day. Every little roster and annual class while I'm still getting training done. "Hey did you get that suicide awareness class done? AGAIN?!?!" "Why yes sir I sure did all at the expense of the fire and maneuver range I was trying to conduct." Man mother's of America had to be the worst thing that ever happened to the Military.

Also if the email goes in the box past 1630 then that should mean "hey guess? what the platoons off work and I'm not yanking them back in just so we can explain our contingency plan for if a category 5 storm hits or a freakin tornado."

The email inbox does not mean I got your message if I'm getting it from everyone in the chain of command. GRRRRR sometimes I want to rip the SIPR and NIPR out of the walls. It's so unfair how they expect us to answer and remember every little piece of mail that comes my way when the inbox's average intake is 183 messages a day. Need more time in the day but, there's never enough so I take my work home with me. This is why I liked to be deployed. "Did you get my email?"

"Ha ha, no I didn't because I've been sitting in the Green Zone for the past two weeks and need a shower and some hot food so your roster or whatever, is the last thing I give any manner of a crap about."

Haha, yes. By the time they try to email any of our deployed folk, their low-side mail is usually full because people keep sending them bullshit.

I checked my email on the regular, even checking it outside of work hours at the dorms and on my personal computer when I moved out, but I wasn't about to get up in the middle of the day to check that ish. I will do my fire extinguisher training, just not when I am sleeping!

Emails get eaten and spit up all the time, if it's actually important, I wouldn't leave it to just email. Half the time they could just get up from their desk and actually talk to the person (because, you know, they're just in another part of the squadron), but of course they won't do that.

Man, speaking of people being screwed over by debit cards, I saw this article a while ago about peeps working at McDonalds in Pennsylvania who have to deal with a similar thing. Basically they were on a Payroll Card that had a $1.50 ATM fee, $10 inactivity fee after 90 days, and $0.75 fee for online transactions and whatever else they feel like doing.

By the time they actually GOT their money after dealing with all the fees, they weren't even being paid minimum wage.

A card like that can be convenient IF they were actually being paid enough to cover the costs of all the fees and IF they were allowed to choose it themselves, with knowledge of the fees beforehand, instead of having it chosen for them.

I had always thought my boss was a money grubbing asshole who pockets the managers bonuses and goes to Hawaii once every few months. But this is too far. He refused to give one of my coworkers his last paycheck and vacation pay.... I don't know all the details but oh my fucking god. Thankfully that kid is taking him to court and I pray to god my boss fucking loses a shit ton of his greasy grubby money. Better yet I hope he loses his right to be a boss. I work at Mc Donalds and it's supposed to be one of the best places to work in the minim wage jobs. However it takes 1 year to get a 30c raise... when it should only take a few months for a $1 raise. My boss even counts minim wage increase as a raise, someone had been working at this mc d's for 18 years and they are still making minim wage, so she confronted the boss about this and he said, "well minim wage increased that's your raise" the problem with that is the cost of living goes up too. This asshole needs to be put in his place >: (

Ug.

Past few days of work have been really busy.  We tried to change our email system to a newer version but during the sync the whole thing failed and so now everyone has their accounts messed up or locked.  So we've been getting droves of calls/emails wanting their accounts fixed.  So I've been doing some OT the past few days.  Luckily it wasn't as bad tonight.  I did have a large amount of calls but nothing like Thursday or Friday.