Sword Art Online (whole franchise)

ShadowWolf

Actually at the moment the author is writing an extra series called Sword Art Online Progressive which is a reboot of the SAO Aincrad arc starting from a day or two before the first boss and continuing onwards.

Btw Dae the second novel is just side stories from the Aincrad arc introducing Scilica, Lisbeth and showing Kirito's regret from the only guild he ever joined in SAO

Edited by Hawkester

Yes, Hawk I realize that. The reason why I have higher hopes for it is because I'm hoping that the extra side arcs will give the characters more depth than they currently have in the novel. Also, I really hope the whole love thing is done much better in the anime than it's done in the novel =/. In the novel that whole thing just feels awkward, forced, and generally displeasing to read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive seen episode 24 today and Im not disappointed cause im at spot where my expectations cant get lower. It looked so good at the beginning but there were way to many filler, then they rebooted the plot and now it looks like theyll repeat it again?! What a great story -.- biggest disappointment of the year

edit: oh i forgot to mention the incest part... go nuts perverts! :D

Edited by playlamegetfame
  • Like 1

Somewhat agreed!

I just finished volume 3 (which takes me to about half way through the second arc I think). Although the language is 1000x better than volume 1 (or maybe they got a more competent translator ^^;), I'm not sure I like the reboot. At first I was like "aarg why is he doing this!!?!?!?!? he should've explored the out-of-game characters more T_T." But after finishing this volume, I think I'm starting to see a bit more depth to his writing than I saw initially. I can't tell right now if it's just a fluke, but as I keep reading the intent will become clear. It seems like the author is trying to make a point about virtual lives.

The one thing I'm starting to get annoyed with is the constant addition of girls to the story -_-. The author even apologized multiple times for adding more and more girls but he just keeps doing it >.<. What started out as a girl+boy lead is beginning to turn into a harem anime -_-.

• 2 weeks later...

I had high hopes for this ...

Episode 6 - My hopes were shattered.

Episode 15 - I wished for a way to send a punch back in time to myself for having high hopes for this.

Episode 25 - ... why am i still watching?

It's the same as my experience with the Walking Dead TV series.

1) I initially loved it (TWD: Season 1, SAO: Episode 1-5)

2) They started doing un-necessary things that were pointless and distracting from the reason I wanted to watch it (TWD: Lori, SAO: Kirito and Asuna.)

3) They did something ... OMGWTF!? and didn't follow up with it. (TWD:

Shane's death

, SAO:

The bad guy was there all along!

)

4) New Season: forget everything earlier.

5) Incest! (Okay, that one is SAO exclusive and not technical incest.)

So why am I still watching both series?

Cuz i desperately want them to be good.

SAO is an idea I've always adored for a story and I get that they want to add a romantic angle to the story but goshdarnit, don't make it REVOLVE around the romance!

Still, SAO may no longer be the perfect candidate to beat One Piece down from my list but I'll persevere and keep hoping that it gets better ...

... and maybe eventually receive that punch from the future.

I really enjoy watching SAO and I even have no problems with Kirito pulling another miracle out of his ass every time he fights someone legitimately stronger than him, but I have to admit that with the first arc having such an amazing concept, I'm a little disappointed with the way it's turned out.

It seems the story has lost the suspense it once had now that they're playing a game where they can't die.

This anime failed. It could have been AWESOME. But it does not appeal to me as a gamer and a anime fan. The story gets cut all over the place.. you really only need to watch episode 1 and 14 BAM pretend it ended then. I saw up to 16 and was soo disappointed. I already know whats gonna happen too. This show could have been a lot longer and better.

They never even did anything with the player killer guild. I was expecting some twist and them slaughtering the front liners or something.. but no they do nothing and only get used for a few unimportant episodes.

First episode was amazing then it all goes downhill...

I really liked sword art online i didnt want to watch it at the start but when i started to watch it i got hooked on it, would have liked to see more what happened in the 2 years in aincard before they moved into the next game though it wouldve been cool but apart from that sword art online was one of the best anime i have seen yet.

not sure how they'll adapt the next volume gun gale online.

i mean, considering audiences, those who enjoyed the fantasy genre and such that was incorperated with aincrad and alfheim are going to be sadly disappointed when they see the new world that kirito goes into

not sure about the rest of you light novel readers, but i found gun gale online to be just so long. i know the author was trying to get the whole psychological scars and such across to the readers, but along with the fact that the setting itself is not (well in my opinion) as enjoyable as swords and magic, i tended to not like that arc.

now alicization looks promising and is getting back to good ol rpg midieval style.

in other thoughts of mine, the addition of the girls in vol 2 was unnecessary and it just seems like blatant attempts of making a harem.

now, i'm not against harems or anything but when the harem's foundations are that every girl just likes the guy without him trying i get mad. true harems must be fought over through blood and tears. notable example would be sugisaki ken - he justifies his harem or his attempt in gaining one. if kirito keeps on getting these girls without a care in the world that they like him.....