KamWri #4 [Vote Now!]

Shazi

Pick your favourite!  

1. 1. Pick your favourite!

• boink -- [url="http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=37483"]The Price of Control[/url]
    • Rune -- [url="http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=37486"]Ethereal Tear and Other Insidious Items[/url]

This fornight's challenge must meet 2 criteria. First, head to the seventh sanctum to the Magitech Generator and pick the phenomena catagory and choose one you like. This is going to be the center piece of your story. What the object is exactly is going to be entirely up to you, but your story must revolve around it.

Next is again your characters. You have to choose 2 of 5 options, these will be your main two characters.

The sickly gigolo.

The narrow-minded heroine.

The aged, obedient cleric who is considered the worst in his/her profession.

The jailer needing a friend.

The tough, whiny bartender.

BONUS

If you can find a way to meet one of the following criteria you qualify for bonus points!

A character is inebriated throughout most of the story.

A Plot relevant Romance Occurs

A complete short story

Edited by Emotional Outlet

I'll try to go for this one, but it really doesn't seem to relate at all. I mean that seventh sanctum thing really ain't that good (hence the reason I didn't enter the horror one, but this sounds fun)... a great deal of the things I got from the generator made no sense, even in a techno-fantasy setting. I mean, Oracular Maser.....wtf? About the only one I got that sounded interesting at all was Astral Nexus... and even then it ain't that brilliant. I'll try, but I don't know if i'll use the Seventh Sanctum thing....its really bad.

I'll try to go for this one, but it really doesn't seem to relate at all. I mean that seventh sanctum thing really ain't that good (hence the reason I didn't enter the horror one, but this sounds fun)... a great deal of the things I got from the generator made no sense, even in a techno-fantasy setting. I mean, Oracular Maser.....wtf? About the only one I got that sounded interesting at all was Astral Nexus... and even then it ain't that brilliant. I'll try, but I don't know if i'll use the Seventh Sanctum thing....its really bad.

would you rather i gave you some random object names to use? coz i could do that or you if you wish. we've been using the seventh sanctum thing to avoid people picking the same options. but i will make some up for you if you like.

Enchanted Totem of Learning

Runic Tome of Gathering

Ancient Plate of Ancientness

Spiritual Yoga Mat

btw those were made up first thing in the morning sorry if they're crap XD

and kek it's a free competition, you can enter if you like

I can see this easily becoming a comedy. I don't think I can write a romantic comedy, much less a good comedy, but I'll see what I can pull together. (The Ancient Plate of Ancientness sounds sweet. I think I'll take that one, haha.)

And Boink, that's cool with me. Flexibility the key to space power!

It wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy! Some of the most fun challenges I've seen and taken part of required people to pull together the most disparate, absurd things together into some semblance of sanity.

No one is going to know if you make up your own or keep rolling options until you get something you like, haha. The thing about SS is it's a bit of a silly site--I don't deny that. I mean, there's a random generator for cat girls and Lovecraftian names. For me, I think its primary purpose is to inspire people, not to force people to write specifically about Oracular Masers.

The purpose of using a random generator is not only to prevent a situation where people have to come up with different stories based on the same few basic options (because I know how tempting it is to read what someone has done and want to do the same thing since it seems like the only way you can take certain options), but also to open up their choices and lead them down paths they might not have taken before. If you asked me to write a murder mystery, I would laugh hysterically and say I can't write a proper mystery to save my life.

In a challenge like this, using myself as an example, if I (heaven forbid) roll something that would mean I have to write a murder mystery, I have a few options. I can ignore it and keep rolling until I get something I'm comfortable with; I can take the challenge and fail horribly at it because why not; I can stop rolling options and just do what I want to do in the first place. Not everyone has problems with ruts, but if they do happen to realise they're in a rut, there's nothing wrong with using a random generator to get their creative "juices" flowing, as it were.

And the previous one wasn't meant to shoehorn people into writing horror. It easily could have been a medical drama like House or Grey's Anatomy--or even a legal one, where someone commits a crime due to a rare disease, and proving the existence of the disease is the crux of the case and saving the defendant from a date with Ol' Sparky or something.

Remember, it's only the fourth iteration of this challenge, and they're specifically pretty short so if people don't like the current challenge, they don't have to wait too long to see the next one. If you have any suggestions regarding the next one, we'll certainly take it into consideration and adjust accordingly.

We can do whatever--I mean, if people want to vote on a theme and then one of the KamWri people build a challenge based on that theme, we can do that. If people want a challenge not to be determined by popular vote but by judges and be given in-depth critique, we can pull something together. If you want to earn extra votes through bribes, we can work out the ransom money amount. I just want to see some interaction in this subsection rather than people just posting their work and hoping someone will notice it, haha.

I can see this easily becoming a comedy. I don't think I can write a romantic comedy, much less a good comedy, but I'll see what I can pull together. (The Ancient Plate of Ancientness sounds sweet. I think I'll take that one, haha.)

And Boink, that's cool with me. Flexibility the key to space power!

It wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy! Some of the most fun challenges I've seen and taken part of required people to pull together the most disparate, absurd things together into some semblance of sanity.

No one is going to know if you make up your own or keep rolling options until you get something you like, haha. The thing about SS is it's a bit of a silly site--I don't deny that. I mean, there's a random generator for cat girls and Lovecraftian names. For me, I think its primary purpose is to inspire people, not to force people to write specifically about Oracular Masers.

The purpose of using a random generator is not only to prevent a situation where people have to come up with different stories based on the same few basic options (because I know how tempting it is to read what someone has done and want to do the same thing since it seems like the only way you can take certain options), but also to open up their choices and lead them down paths they might not have taken before. If you asked me to write a murder mystery, I would laugh hysterically and say I can't write a proper mystery to save my life.

In a challenge like this, using myself as an example, if I (heaven forbid) roll something that would mean I have to write a murder mystery, I have a few options. I can ignore it and keep rolling until I get something I'm comfortable with; I can take the challenge and fail horribly at it because why not; I can stop rolling options and just do what I want to do in the first place. Not everyone has problems with ruts, but if they do happen to realise they're in a rut, there's nothing wrong with using a random generator to get their creative "juices" flowing, as it were.

And the previous one wasn't meant to shoehorn people into writing horror. It easily could have been a medical drama like House or Grey's Anatomy--or even a legal one, where someone commits a crime due to a rare disease, and proving the existence of the disease is the crux of the case and saving the defendant from a date with Ol' Sparky or something.

Remember, it's only the fourth iteration of this challenge, and they're specifically pretty short so if people don't like the current challenge, they don't have to wait too long to see the next one. If you have any suggestions regarding the next one, we'll certainly take it into consideration and adjust accordingly.

We can do whatever--I mean, if people want to vote on a theme and then one of the KamWri people build a challenge based on that theme, we can do that. If people want a challenge not to be determined by popular vote but by judges and be given in-depth critique, we can pull something together. If you want to earn extra votes through bribes, we can work out the ransom money amount. I just want to see some interaction in this subsection rather than people just posting their work and hoping someone will notice it, haha.

I understand the reason behind the KamWri, but I do often feel people pay more attention to it that to peoples non KamWri writing. It was one of reasons I didn't like the idea at first but in truth the lit section being as dead as it is really doesn't help these days.

Anyhoo, I know its supposed to be a challenge was just whining at the absurdity of that bloody seventh sanctum thing. I supose I'll join anyways, despite its tackyness. But I do like the idea of a voted theme....lmao

I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I'm assuming cleric is supposed to be clerk? Cleric means the clergy, so you can be the worst of your profession. So I went ahead and used clerk in mine... Hope I'm right... But, push comes to shove I can change it....won't make much difference!

I'm closing out entries and opening voting, but if anyone has any last minute entries, you can sneak them in until midnight EST! I can always be reached on MSN, Facebook, and email.

I'm not adding my entry to the poll because STOP WORKING ALL THE TIME AND FINISH SOMETHING EO. (My apartment is still on fire. This is like an exercise in futility.)

Whoever wins, let me know how you'd like the next challenge to be set up and we'll work something out.