Linux Distros

Irish

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends what you want to do with it. but I can break down the most popular distros for you. I use Ubuntu on most of my systems cause I am lazy and don't want to have to fight to get mp3s working, dvd play back and compiling drivers.

Ubuntu - Easy to use. Will play most media types with gstreamer installed. great for desktops use. and more cutting edge then the Debian stable.

Debian - Easy to use. Ubuntu is built on this distro but some tasks are harder to complete in Debian then Ubuntu. The stable versions of Debian isn't as cutting edge as Ubuntu with the latest stuff exp.. drivers, latest desktop managers.

Fedora - intermediate. Not as easy as Ubuntu or Debian. You have to add 3rd party sources to get media play back. This also lacks alot of the apps found in Debian. I find that fedora tends to be put together a little cleaner then Debian but lacks some of the latest drivers.

Centos - The same as fedora for usage. This distro is targeted more towards the servers then desktops. It follows close to red hat in that respect.

OpenSuse - cant say much about this tried it a few years back couldn't stand it and never touched it again.

Gentoo - Advanced users. This distro is hands down one of the best distros since it is all source coded based and every app is compiled on the machine you are installing it so it is optimized to perform well on the machine it is built on. The main problem is time and effort required to install it and it isn't for the newbie.

FreeBSD - Advanced users. This is hands down my favorite OS. This isn't Linux it is Unix but it runs basically the same. This OS is built well and easy to configure if you are experienced. This is also one of the most stable OS out there. This is more for server then desktops but it dose work well as a desktop OS with configuration.

If you want more info on other distors check out http://distrowatch.com/ it will give you a list of most distros.

I first started using Red Hat about 15 years ago when it was the most popular distro.

For the last 10 years or so nothing beats Ubuntu for ease of use, even my parents use it now! When I say use it, I mean they browse the internet, listen to mp3's and have a collection of photos :P

Nowadays I use Slackware and Backtrack if I use linux. For me Ubuntu has become just too heavy and has so much stuff that I don't use installed by default. Slackware is still much more minimal, and Backtrack is useful :D

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, I got into Arch Linux for a bit thanks to him. And I swear to god I mentioned OpenSUSE and Arch Linux, guess it was removed when the forum went down.

I think that you did... I just reposted the thread cause the forum went down and the thread was lost.