Pray for Japan. 3/11 Memorial

ShredAlert

2012-03-10T222917Z_3_CBRE82918Q000_RTROPTP_2_JAPAN-TSUNAMI.JPG Photo By KIM KYUNG-HOON/Reuters

2012-03-10T122449Z_817092568_GM1E83A1K8D01_RTRMADP_3_JAPAN-TSUNAMI.JPG Photo By KIM KYUNG-HOON/REUTERS

Today marks 1 year since the tsunami and earthquake incident that devastated Japan last year. It has killed over 19000 people. The earthquake was the strongest recorded in Japan's history, and set off a tsunami that swelled to more than 65 feet (20 meters) in some spots along the northeastern coast, destroying tens of thousands of homes and wreaking widespread destruction.

The tsunami also knocked out the vital cooling systems at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, causing meltdowns at three reactors and spewing radiation into the air. Some 100,000 residents who were forced to flee remain in temporary housing or with relatives, and a 12-mile (20-kilometer) area around the plant is still off-limits.

Some 325,000 people that were rendered homeless or evacuated are still in temporary housing. While much of the debris along the tsunami-ravaged coast has been gathered into massive piles, very little rebuilding has begun.

The government says the crippled Fukushima plant is stable and that radiation has subsided significantly, but the plant's chief acknowledged to journalists visiting the complex recently that it remains in a fragile state, and makeshift equipment — some mended with tape — could be seen keeping crucial systems running.

Enormous risks and challenges lie ahead at the plant, including locating and removing melted nuclear fuel from the inside of the reactors and disposing spent fuel rods. Completely decommissioning the plant could take 40 years.

The people of Japan have been tremendously brave and optimistic towards the recovery of their nation. This gives me nothing but the utmost respect for them.

I would like everyone to pray for the recovery of the nation that gives us the anime, manga and so many other things that we all hold so dear to us. My prayers and condolences to all the families who have their lost near and dear ones and also best wishes and prayers towards the recovery of Japan.

Information Credits: Yahoo! NEWS

I would like everyone to pray for the recovery of the nation that gives us the anime, manga and so many other things that we all hold so dear to us. My prayers and condolences to all the families who have their lost near and dear ones and also best wishes and prayers towards the recovery of Japan.

I'm all for thinking of them, respecting them, and hoping for a smooth recovery. I know you didn't write this but I don't really like that "anime and manga" comes before familys. In my opinion that shouldn't even be mentioned. Japan has brought greater things to the world then popular black and white picture books and animated TV shows. I may not know what those things are since I never bothered to read much about the world or even my own country. But Japan is an old country and I doubt they just traded books and animated TV shows that didn't exist hundreds of years ago with other country's. They could have had medicine and things like that.(also don't get me wrong I'm not mad or anything)

But anyways, I may not fully believe in a god but they have my heart. Because in the end, we are all the same.

Poor bastards definitely got my respect, and my condolences after that tragedy. But like seira my heart goes to the people whose families are lost, homes are gone. Not to those who make me my anime. When thousands of hectares of your country is irradiated I doubt anime is at the top of priorities. But meh, they've done what most countries definitely couldn't do, and will come out stronger for it.

Always respected them, not just because they give us anime, manga, music, etc.. I respect them on this day, and have since 3/11/2011. I also don't think of anime when I think of Japan. Most people, who thought "Oh, no, Japan has faced a tsunami, an earthquake, a radiation threat, there goes my anime and manga fix." have got to be wrong, thinking as if nobody cares about the people of Japan- they care more about their precious manga volumes and anime season fixes. well, they have no respect, and don't realise how lucky we are. We're missing out on a few black and white, paper comics, and a few animation plans, DVD's recordings, making. But these people have faced a whole lot worse. They have had parts of their country, their home, destroyed. They don't give a crap about their animes and their mangas.

My heart and prayers go out to all people of Japan. Wishing you a happy and safe 2012.

Well anime and manga have given me great insight to Japan. At least it led me to learn more about the country. I was not prioritizing anime and manga over the loss of people (I have not put this in order and just wrote it in a short amount of time). Sorry If I offended anyone. But no matter the order of the things I refer to I give them all equal priority. Only the facts in this post were taken from an article the rest I wrote myself.

The more I read about how these people acted after the disaster, and then how they continue to support each other as they rebuild. It totally makes we want to move there. Just look at how far they have come in one year, and then look at where the US was a year after Katrina. Makes me truly sad to be an American.

• 1 month later...

I have always been a fan of Japan, its anime/manga, and its caluture among many other great things. I can openly say my respect for the Japanese has only grown over the years. After hereing this it has grown even more. I hope for only the best for such a proud nation, and hope with all my heart for their recovery. It will take time perhaps even more than we can imagine, but one day Japan will be fully recovered, and standing strong once again.