Has the site been down??

Reptoholic

Megaupload is down, but you can still access it by using Google's DNS servers, instead of your own. Here are some instructions for Windows XP, though I'm not sure about Vista, 7, or other OSes:

Go to the Network Icon on your Taskbar right-click and choose Status. On the General Tab, click properties and scroll down the list to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Click the circle that says "Use the following DNS Server Addresses". In the first box, put 8.8.8.8 and in the second box put 8.8.4.4. Then, just click OK on all the screens and you are set. This is for Windows XP, I'm not sure about Windows Vista or 7. If the network icon isn't in the taskbar, just go to the Control Panel, click Network Connections and right click you active Network Connection. I'm also not sure about Wireless.

Well since I'm not sure where to put this I'll just put it here.

Temporary Fix For Megaupload Until Its Back Up Again

Postby 360baller » Today, 03:48

Here is a temporary fix for anyone having issues with MU.

We all are aware its down right now, no idea how long it might be.

If you desperately can't live without your MU, well here is your temporary fix.

This is the directions for Windows 7 users:

Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet [View network status and tasks] -> Change adapter settings, right click on a connection -> Properties -> Internet protocol version 4 -> Properties

8.8.4.4 --- 8.8.8.8

Check validate settings beyond exit and click OK

Sorry I don't have other windows systems, so I don't know the exact directions, but you want to find your Local Internet Connections and right click on properties, and all should be the same from there.

Once MU is back up, you would simply delete the input in DNS and change back to Obtain DNS Server address automatically and click OK

Well MU still works fine for me, I didn't had to mess around with DNS or anything like that. Is it because I live in Australia or my ISP is finally doing something correct for once?

Your ISP is probably doing something right, if you can access it without changing DNS Servers. I guess most others are being slow about updating their DNS server with the latest server info for the site.

For those who cant get MU and want to know why.

from the TorrentFreak site torrentfreak.com/dns-seizure-takes-out-megaupload-111129/

DNS ‘Seizure’ Takes Out MegaUpload

For the past 24 hours the hugely popular MegaUpload file-hosting service has been rendered inaccessible across many countries around the world. With the United States government ‘Cyber Monday’ domain seizures fresh in everyone’s mind, fingerpointing has been directed at the U.S. authorities. The problems, however, seem to be rooted with the site’s domain registrar since they appear to have ‘seized’ MegaUpload’s DNS records following a dispute.

Make no mistake, the biggest entertainment companies in the world do not like file-hosting site MegaUpload.

Currently the huge cyberlocker resides on the destroy-them-all SOPA-directed “rogue site” list of the MPAA alongside The Pirate Bay. The site hasn’t gone unnoticed by the RIAA either. MegaUpload is on their list too, sandwiched between the leading torrent sites and warez forums.

So given this background, particularly when viewed through the prism of the ‘Cyber Monday’ domain seizures, it’s hardly surprising that panic set in yesterday when MegaUpload suddenly failed to load for many people all around the world, not just for a few minutes but for hours on end and into today. The site is reported to be back up for some, but Twitter and other networks are awash with complaints that the problems are continuing.

Speculation on the downtime is rife, but it appears that MegaUpload has problems with its domain registrar. At the time of writing, MegaUpload’s current DNS records as reported by Network Tools are listed as ns1.badwhoisshutdown.com and ns2.badwhoisshutdown.com. It’s unclear why the IP address listed (216.239.35.100) belongs to Google.

One of the common causes of this kind of DNS diversion is when domain registrars doubt that the provided WHOIS details for a domain are correct, so they ‘hijack’ the DNS records to prevent the domain resolving to the correct site. In 2009, MegaUpload sister site MegaVideo suffered similar problems but eventually returned after downtime.

TorrentFreak has put a request into MegaUpload for comment, but while we wait for the official response it seems clear that the problems have been massive. Right across the United States into Europe, from the Middle East to the Mediterranean, Japan, Australia, Canada, Brazil and UK, no area seems to have been unaffected.

For many the site remains down even now, providing an interesting taster of what SOPA has in store should it pass. Some reports suggest that switching to Google’s DNS provides a solution to the problem, others that using one of the site’s many IP addresses (http://174.140.154.23/ for example) is a better option.

In the meantime the conspiracy theories will continue. Did MegaUpload’s registrar hijack the DNS over a simple WHOIS detail error? Or perhaps the “trolls” warned about here laid some poison down for the site, or maybe there’s another more simple explanation?

When we get official word from MegaUpload we’ll report back – the AMA request on Reddit would be fun, but we doubt it will go answered.

from the TorrentFreak site torrentfreak.com/dns-seizure-takes-out-megaupload-111129/

For the past 24 hours the hugely popular MegaUpload file-hosting service has been rendered inaccessible across many countries around the world. With the United States government ‘Cyber Monday’ domain seizures fresh in everyone’s mind, fingerpointing has been directed at the U.S. authorities. The problems, however, seem to be rooted with the site’s domain registrar since they appear to have ‘seized’ MegaUpload’s DNS records following a dispute.

Make no mistake, the biggest entertainment companies in the world do not like file-hosting site MegaUpload.

Currently the huge cyberlocker resides on the destroy-them-all SOPA-directed “rogue site” list of the MPAA alongside The Pirate Bay. The site hasn’t gone unnoticed by the RIAA either. MegaUpload is on their list too, sandwiched between the leading torrent sites and warez forums.

So given this background, particularly when viewed through the prism of the ‘Cyber Monday’ domain seizures, it’s hardly surprising that panic set in yesterday when MegaUpload suddenly failed to load for many people all around the world, not just for a few minutes but for hours on end and into today. The site is reported to be back up for some, but Twitter and other networks are awash with complaints that the problems are continuing.

Speculation on the downtime is rife, but it appears that MegaUpload has problems with its domain registrar. At the time of writing, MegaUpload’s current DNS records as reported by Network Tools are listed as ns1.badwhoisshutdown.com and ns2.badwhoisshutdown.com. It’s unclear why the IP address listed (216.239.35.100) belongs to Google.

One of the common causes of this kind of DNS diversion is when domain registrars doubt that the provided WHOIS details for a domain are correct, so they ‘hijack’ the DNS records to prevent the domain resolving to the correct site. In 2009, MegaUpload sister site MegaVideo suffered similar problems but eventually returned after downtime.

TorrentFreak has put a request into MegaUpload for comment, but while we wait for the official response it seems clear that the problems have been massive. Right across the United States into Europe, from the Middle East to the Mediterranean, Japan, Australia, Canada, Brazil and UK, no area seems to have been unaffected.

For many the site remains down even now, providing an interesting taster of what SOPA has in store should it pass. Some reports suggest that switching to Google’s DNS provides a solution to the problem, others that using one of the site’s many IP addresses (http://174.140.154.23/ for example) is a better option.

In the meantime the conspiracy theories will continue. Did MegaUpload’s registrar hijack the DNS over a simple WHOIS detail error? Or perhaps the “trolls” warned about here laid some poison down for the site, or maybe there’s another more simple explanation?

When we get official word from MegaUpload we’ll report back – the AMA request on Reddit would be fun, but we doubt it will go answered.

Thanks for this information man, now that will solve many people's questions, I guess Australia might not be affected. Switching DNS to google or opendns works from what I heard.

This article is full of false info. Megaupload was not seized and neither were the name servers or Domain Name. The name servers still belong to MU and everything else. Here is an up-to-date listing of everything about Megaupload's current servers and registration: http://who.is/whois/megaupload.com/

It is obviously just a DNS problem. At the time of posting that link, the info was updated about 1 second ago, literally.

EDIT:

I was just able to get back onto MU. I tried multiple different links, so I hope that means its working again.

If it wasn't coming up and you didn't change the settings since, then it seems that DNS Servers are starting to update with the new server info.

This article is full of false info. Megaupload was not seized and neither were the name servers or Domain Name. The name servers still belong to MU and everything else. Here is an up-to-date listing of everything about Megaupload's current servers and registration: http://who.is/whois/megaupload.com/

It is obviously just a DNS problem. At the time of posting that link, the info was updated about 1 second ago, literally.

EDIT:

If it wasn't coming up and you didn't change the settings since, then it seems that DNS Servers are starting to update with the new server info.

I don't know what it means, I was just giving an update. As I have said before, " I don't know much bout computers,programming and all the fancy works" so I am not trying to contradict or say otherwise to y'alls statements, I was just informing you of what was happening on my end and my hope that it was all working out for the rest of y'all.

Just so everyone knows, if you can be patient and still can't get to Megaupload without changing your DNS settings, it will be running again for you by tomorrow. I just tried again with my default DNS and it is working again for me, so it seems my ISP's DNS server updated.

Hope so, cause, MU was working fine for me and then cut off again.

Actually it was true. I checked while it was down and MU's domain was certainly pointed there. MU has since edited the DNS back to their own name servers. DNS changes can take 48-72 hours to fully propagate which explains the downtime.

TorrentFreak is usually a trustworthy source for news regarding warez and torrent sites.