Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - On Stranger Tides

Koby

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Johnny Depp joined Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook on Friday at the D23 Expo, Disney's answer to Comic-Con, for a presentation on the studio's forthcoming film slate. Depp was welcomed with raucous applause as he sailed onstage in a pirate ship dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow. He staggered about and embraced Cook, who announced that "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" would be released in the summer of 2011.

The tidbit of information that has Pirates fans and fans of quality fantasy literature all a-tingle is that POTC 4 is to be subtitled "On Stranger Tides." It's been rumored for a while that the next film would follow Captains Jack and Barbarossa as they tussle over the Fountain of Youth, but this adds a new wrinkle.

You see, On Stranger Tides is the title of a 1988 historical fantasy novel from the top-notch writer Tim Powers. As you might guess, it's a pirate tale; one involving a lovable rogue pirate hero named Jack Shandy, zombies and ghosts, and, as in all of Powers' novels, real-life historical figures and events--in this case, Blackbeard. Who just so happens to be searching for... The Fountain of Youth.

Name-based speculation aside, some Powers fans say the author himself let slip hints that yes in fact Jerry Bruckheimer et al will be using his novel in some context. Whether or not Blackbeard remains in the mix, or is replaced in the story by Captain Barbarossa remains to be seen.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which will see Jack Sparrow in a quest to find the Fountain of Youth, is expected to start its filming this summer in Hawaii. Slated to hit the U.S. theaters on May 20, 2011, the adventure fantasy movie will be directed by Rob Marshall with Jerry Bruckheimer serving as producer.

• 3 weeks later...
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which will see Jack Sparrow in a quest to find the Fountain of Youth, is expected to start its filming this summer in Hawaii. Slated to hit the U.S. theaters on May 20, 2011, the adventure fantasy movie will be directed by Rob Marshall with Jerry Bruckheimer serving as producer.

Pirates of the Caribbean is like my favorite movie series, I can't wait to see this. xD

• 1 month later...

Yaay, that's great! I love these movies (to me the first part was the best though; nonetheless, the other parts were also amazing)! Although cast will be totally different from the previous movies at least Johny Depp remains the part of it (lol, without him the movie would suck!).

Apparently they already cut $100 million from the budget and Orlando bloom and Keira Knightley aren't in it either.

Yeah I heard that they probably wasn't in it, but honestly their story was done after the 3rd. You saw that he continued to visit her as she waited every decade. The story of the 4th is about what Jack Sparrow said during the 3rd. He said he'd find another way to be immortal, and at the end of the 3rd it mentioned the Fountain of Youth.

So I'm fine with those two not being in it, though I hope they bring some other female into the equation to keep a love tension similar to that Jack and Elizabeth had going on in the series.

LOL..the $100 million cut (haven't heard of it before you said it)... could simply be Blooms and Knightley's cut. Without them they didn't need it? Who knows, but I'm sure Deep and Brookheimer wouldn't be on-board if the couldn't do a good movie because of budget issues.

Yeah I heard that they probably wasn't in it, but honestly their story was done after the 3rd. You saw that he continued to visit her as she waited every decade.

I'm not disappointed that they cut Keira and Orlando. I never liked either of them anyway.

So I'm fine with those two not being in it, though I hope they bring some other female into the equation to keep a love tension similar to that Jack and Elizabeth had going on in the series.

I heard that they were adding Penelope Cruz as Jack's love interest.