Random Talk.

Talena Mae

Programming isnt terrible, but the programs are. Who the hell needs to do discrete math???

When you actually sit down and think about it writing programs is a whole lot like proving theorems. Discrete math is a bit abstract, but when it comes to automata theory, everything just comes together so nicely it's hard to believe. Then again, industry programming is not very intense by computer science standards, so it's entirely possible for someone to just go into programming with just technical knowledge (no theory knowledge) and do perfectly fine :P. However, imagine what it would be like to have a programmer who was simultaneously an industry programmer (not a computer scientist) but also had the knowledge to read up on algorithms and theories being researched and presented to the science community. That person could probably write some awesome programs.

True true I guess. Well, then shouldnt it be in honours programs so they dont have to kill half of each class just because all the little script kitties cant understand what an imaginary number is? At least, thats what happens in one of the universities near where I live

I honestly believe a discrete math as a subject should be introduced in high school. Discrete math, set theory, etc. basically make up the foundations of mathematics in the world (and it's really not THAT hard in the beginning). However, a high school course would definitely have to be toned down (maybe don't go so far into implication theories, skip quantifications, etc.) At the college level, I think a somewhat deeper introduction is also necessary JUST for the proof of correctness part of the class. In fact, if the college knows that students have taken an intro in high school they could just integrate a proof of correctness section into another class. A full blown theory course should really only be given to computer science majors though. People going into software engineering probably won't use most of the deep CS theory stuff (although it helps them understand things better but they can look that up on their own or take the class as an elective).

I honestly believe a discrete math as a subject should be introduced in high school. Discrete math, set theory, etc. basically make up the foundations of mathematics in the world (and it's really not THAT hard in the beginning). However, a high school course would definitely have to be toned down (maybe don't go so far into implication theories, skip quantifications, etc.) At the college level, I think a somewhat deeper introduction is also necessary JUST for the proof of correctness part of the class. In fact, if the college knows that students have taken an intro in high school they could just integrate a proof of correctness section into another class. A full blown theory course should really only be given to computer science majors though. People going into software engineering probably won't use most of the deep CS theory stuff (although it helps them understand things better but they can look that up on their own or take the class as an elective).

Oh I hear you and agree completely. Actually, they used to have discrete math in the school boards but they dropped it and moved vectors in with calculus. Its that almost no-one really needs to learn discrete math, so thats why it was dropped.

what is an imaginary number?

It would take too long to explain. Try here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

what is an imaginary number?

In layman's terms it is any real number multiplied by i where i is equal to the square root of -1. If you have any math background, you should know that it is technically impossible to take an even root of a negative number, thus we call root(-1) the imaginary unit i.

And Dae, all imaginary numbers are complex but not all complex numbers are imaginary (complex is the more inclusive set).

For Example: 3i is imaginary and complex

However: 3i + 4 is only complex but not imaginary

Hope that helps Job!

lol they do that to you in chemistry all the time (that being the act of giving you definitions/information that really aren't correct but get the idea across better until the real explanation makes sense). Look at the lengths of explanations for imaginary numbers in the past 2 posts (one is an entire web page, the other is a few paragraphs). My explanation is 3 words which technically are a little wrong, but they get the point across much faster :3.

I felt really scandalized by my high school education when I learned that math isn't all just about computation, but rather more about proofs, problem solving, and result interpretation. Conrad Wolfram captures my views on math education nicely with this TED talk.

lol they do that to you in chemistry all the time (that being the act of giving you definitions/information that really aren't correct but get the idea across better until the real explanation makes sense). Look at the lengths of explanations for imaginary numbers in the past 2 posts (one is an entire web page, the other is a few paragraphs). My explanation is 3 words which technically are a little wrong, but they get the point across much faster :3.

I felt really scandalized by my high school education when I learned that math isn't all just about computation, but rather more about proofs, problem solving, and result interpretation. Conrad Wolfram captures my views on math education nicely with this TED talk.

No disrespect, just thought I would elaborate a bit on you "condensed" definition.