Protect IP Act Breaks the Internet (aka, bullshitters.)

Dan Den

Protect IP Act Breaks the Internet

First watch the video then express your views below, all is welcome.

yDX8Lyl16Qs?hd=1

After watching this video, I think now the US government is taking things too far by messing with the internet. If this thing goes through we will see the crash of thousands of forums as such site. We might just be having WWIII around the corner. Here's hoping we don't have to get our hands dirty. All hate is accepted.

PROTECT-IP -

is a bill that has been introduced in the Senate and the House and is moving quickly through Congress. It gives the government and corporations the ability to censor the net, in the name of protecting "creativity". The law would let the government or corporations censor entire sites-- they just have to convince a judge that the site is "dedicated to copyright infringement." The government has already wrongly shut down sites without any recourse to the site owner. Under this bill, sharing a video with anything copyrighted in it, or what sites like Youtube and Twitter do, would be considered illegal behavior according to this bill. According to the CBO, this bill would cost us $47 million tax dollars a year — that's for a fix that won't work, disrupts the internet, stifles innovation, shuts out diverse voices, and censors the internet. This bill is bad for creativity and does not protect your rights.

The thing is they see these entertainment companies are losing money cause of Forums as such sort. But the problem I have, like said in the video there are countries that might no actually they will follow in their footsteps but will end up censoring the internet and abusing their power. If thing keep going the way they are we might just be seeing one of the greatest tragedies in our time "The end of the internet as we know it".

It won't pass. None of the other attempts at similar measures have passed. However, since you asked for an opinion...

It sucks, This is so stupid, I'm amazed that it was even written.

I was also thinking it might not pass but it seems like these guys are trying to go all the way, even if it doesn't pass I think they might pass a law of less singnificance.

The people will never support such a bill no matter how carefully they word it. The entire point of living in the US is that we are free to do what we want, though there are laws, we are allowed at least the temptation of breaking them.

I don't know about everyone else, but the ability to download and/or sample music via youtube has actually increased the money I spend on CDs. I wouldn't buy even half as many if I couldn't try every song on them first. I used to when I was younger, and found that sometimes there is only one or two songs on it that I like. If I'd gone into the purchase knowing that I wouldn't like some of it, I would have felt better about the purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

This is so stupid... The United States needs to spend that money on something more important... like for example fixing this broken economy. (but that's a whole different subject)... This bill is just an excuse for them to legally and more easily shut down a site for any given reason they wish. Like Naito said... this could lead to very bad things if it were to pass.

Edit: dang typos XD...

This is so stupid... The United States needs to spend that money on something more important... like for example fixing this broken economy. (but that's a whole different subject)... This bill is just an excuse for them to legally and more easily shut down a site for any given reason they wish. Like Naito said... this could lead to very bad things if it were to pass.

Yeah and I couldn't agree with you any more, the whole point I think they want to pass this bill is cause the internet is the only medium of communication that is not controlled by some large corporate companies or the government, here information travels free and uncensored. But if they were to pass this bill, well there goes our last place of freedom and I'm going to fight if we have to start a new war over the internet then so be it, fuck the government and all there bullshit (I say this cause I know if the USA pass this then all the other countries will follow like a bunch of sheep.

Yeah and I couldn't agree with you any more, the whole point I think they want to pass this bill is cause the internet is the only medium of communication that is not controlled by some large corporate companies or the government, here information travels free and uncensored. But if they were to pass this bill, well there goes our last place of freedom and I'm going to fight if we have to start a new war over the internet then so be it, fuck the government and all there bullshit (I say this cause I know if the USA pass this then all the other countries will follow like a bunch of sheep.

I agree completely. If this bill were to pass it could lead to the destruction of the internet. I hope people take a strong stand against this... I really hope it doesn't pass.

(On a side note I hope you don't mind that I edited your post to fix my typos in the quote lol :P)

Edit: >.< more typos lol... I need to go to sleep. XD

America: The Land of the Free(as long as your rich!)

If this moronic thing actually passed, due to the overzealousness of copyright lawyers, they could probably convince a judge 80% of the interwebs is copyright infringement. I don't think the entertainment companies realize that for the most part the people downloading aren't going to go out and buy it if they can't. I have no desire to buy some of the stuff I downloaded, if I like something good enough that I've downloaded I'll buy it. But 90% of the stuff I've downloaded, if it wasn't available to download I wouldn't even bother with it.

I download things to try them mostly. Some things I download because whatever it is, wasn't available to buy here. But there is very little I will purchase without trying it first. It's like the free samples of weird food they give out in the store. You try it, if you like it, you buy the stuff to make more, if you don't, you move on. It is the same concept as downloading on the internet unless you're a true pirate and just download whatever you want without any intention of ever paying a dime for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well good news has risen,it looks like MEGAUPLOAD has joined the fight for our freedom, if you haven't noticed when you go to MEGAUPLOAD there is a link at the bottom left where MEGAUPLOAD has left a press note indicating that thy have joined the fight against this bill that could possibly pass if things go shitty this holiday.

Here is the press release.

Hong Kong, December 12th 2011

Megaupload Limited, founded in 2005, is a leading provider of online storage and data transmission services. Over 180 million registered users rely on us for their day-to-day cyber logistics, and people at 87% of the Fortune 500 companies have accounts with us. As an online service provider, our operations are fully compliant with and protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and we cooperate with rights-holders to combat the abuse of the powerful tools that we provide.

Mega has developed innovative technologies that allow artists and owners of content to monetize their creations every time it is downloaded online. One of these solutions, called the Megakey, is available today.

Mega's effort to cooperate with artists and content creators is opening up vast new opportunities for them to reach consumers that they otherwise are missing with the traditional business models. These new business opportunities are good for consumers and content creators. Regrettably, we are being attacked and labeled as a "rogue operator" by organizations like the RIAA and the MPAA, which represent some of the music and movie industry. They are wrong. Our record of closing accounts of repeat infringers and taking down illegal files proves we stand against piracy and care about the rights of content owners.

On December 9, 2011, we re-launched our website, featuring endorsements by top celebrities including P Diddy, Will.i.am, Kanye West and Chris Brown. The campaign includes a promotional song and video containing snippets from those celebrities called the Mega Song. The video became an instant viral online sensation. Within hours, it was the top trending topic on Twitter, and global news media reported about and linked to the video utilizing Youtube's embedded video player.

To our surprise, Universal Music Group (UMG) sabotaged our campaign by deleting Mega's creation from Youtube, abusing the DMCA takedown process and unlawfully claiming ownership of the Mega Song. UMG is currently lobbying lawmakers in Washington for legislation that would allow them to not only delete specific content from a website, but to delete entire websites from the Internet. After this demonstration of the abuse of power by UMG, we are certain that such an instrument of Internet censorship should not be put into the hands of corporations.

Let us be clear: Nothing in our song or the video belongs to Universal Music Group. We have signed agreements with all artists endorsing Megaupload. Efforts to reach out to UMG and open a dialogue about this abuse of the DMCA process were answered with unfounded and baseless legal threats and demands for an apology.

Neither Megaupload nor the participating artists are supporting or promoting piracy in any form. We stand unified against piracy and have taken a leadership role in this area by giving content owners direct delete access to our servers, bypassing the complicated removal process entirely.

One of our websites, megabox.com, will re-launch shortly with big news that will change the music industry forever. We are signing up artists to sell their creations directly. Artists working with Megabox receive 90% of music sales, allowing them to be in control of their careers. This may be a motive for UMG to sabotage our campaign and to block innovation. Mega remains open to having dialogue with all labels on how they can use our innovative technology to open new markets globally for their clients and their content.

We are grateful to the artists who are endorsing Megaupload, and we would like to apologize to them for the negative picture that is being painted of Megaupload and their endorsement. It is unfortunate that a powerful and popular viral campaign was stopped in its tracks by illegitimate censorship. It is unfair that we are facing baseless legal threats combined with propaganda depicting Megaupload as rogue and illegal.

We thank everyone for the massive support. Let's join forces and fight for an Internet without censorship. Stand up and oppose new laws like SOPA and PIPA, which are being written this month in Washington.

Let your local representatives in Congress know what you think. Join organizations that are promoting free speech and innovation. Let's not allow corporations to create an Internet dictatorship with the massive censorship firewall they are lobbying for in Washington.

Check out the link & video & dont forget. Congress needs to hear from you, or this bill passes

http://www.fightforthefuture.org/pipa

I guess that since I'm in England I can't send this, I don't have a zip code.

But if they try to censor the internet over in the UK I'm going to do everything I can to stop it, with non-violent methods, and if the bill passes in the US I'll try and help fight against it.

After all the internet is the only place I can truly express myself, only place where I can get a community of people with such different views that actually listening.

Plus I only hear about media releases through the internet so without it I would never have bought anime that I liked or even got back into anime in the first place.

Sadly, our prime minister , Stephan Harper has already pushed to see a Canadian version of this to be passed BY THE END OF THE MONTH. I cannot believe this. Not to mention it was COMPLETELY swept under the rug by the media, so NO ONE knows about this. I do. I have told all my friends already. What is this websites policy about this bill, because I don't want to see it leave. I live in a remote corner of Canada. I can't pay for anime even if I tried. Screw everything about this