Cannibalism

lemmingllama

Just make sure you don't eat the brains, there is a dangerous prion that causes something much like mad cow disease in humans that eat human brains (and no this is not from personal experience no matter how crazy I might seem to some at times). As to the question itself, in the need for survival and there already being a dead body available, then yes. Now, would I kill other humans to provide that body, not unless there is more than my own personal survival at stake (say I knew important information that needed to be gotten to proper authorities that could not be shared, that would be one example of what I mean). There are some lines I will not cross for mere survival alone, and killing other humans for food is one of them. I can deal with those already dead being converted to food source if there is no other option available, but that is as far as I believe I would go for personal survival only. Not that I would ever Ever EVER want to have to do so, I do find the idea personally very repulsive and gruesome!

In some cultures, honoring the dead required eating them. Just as eating the flesh of your enemies was supposed to grant you their strength, and knowledge.

This is true, but not in the modern world except for a couple small groups. Though groups like the Native Americans see that an animal should be used if killed in order to honor its spirit.

Honestly I think that if it's for survival, it should be done, but not if the dead person is sick, because that'd probably get you sick too. The thing about humans is that they have enough meat to keep someone in an extreme survival situation alive for a very long time if it's properly cured and cooked. Killing a 150 pound woman that was kind of lazy would provide at least 75 pounds of meat after most or all fat was trimmed off and only a few organs were retained, such as the heart, kidneys, and liver, along with a sack to hold some of it in, if the stomach was either empty when the person died or was cleaned out if there was a water source nearby.

It would be gruesome and you'd be wracked with guilt for a long time over it, but you would have survived whatever the situation was. In the end, after the person has died, the real purpose for the mortal shell is to contribute to the circle of life anyway, so it would be wise to make it contribute to the circle of your life in that situation.

When it comes to eating the dead to gain their strength or to honor them, one must realize that those kinds of civilizations have come and gone by a long while, and that people just don't do that kind of thing anymore. In the 17th century and before, apothecaries used dried and ground human flesh as remedies called mummie as a cure-all from everything from the common cold to tuberculosis. That made people sicker than they already were, because it wasn't from actual Egyptian mummies as it was named, but from executed criminals that were often malnourished and sick themselves. Just because they did that then doesn't mean that it'd be acceptable to do it now. The same goes for eating the dead to honor them or to gain their strength.