Self Preservation?

lemmingllama

This is definitely a tough decision. In the first scenario it depends who the other person is. If it's someone very much close to me like my parents then I would gladly take on the train. I wouldn't even think about it twice. For protecting someone really close to me I would sacrifice my life. Again if that person is someone I don't know I would probably pull the lever.

For the second case scenario......I don't know........ I would probably dodge the bullet. If I am completely aware of the presence of a really close person behind then I would probably stay there and get hit by the bullet. Again if no relative of mine is really close to me(or in this case behind me) I would probably dodge it.

As for living with remorse for sacrificing someone else(whom I don't know).........THE HELL WITH IT. There's no way I am going to sacrifice my life for someone I don't know.

it depends. maybe you think you are judging from a self centered perspective, should i choose me or should i choose the other guy. that feels like a lot of guilt, guilt somebody shouldn't be able to handle. but wahat if you judge objectively. is my life well lived or is it going nowhere, and how about them. you could choose on cold judgement who deserves to live better and try not to think about it otherwise. sometimes they judge it by age too, or amount of social attatchements such as family or importance of job like one is the president.

This entire thread is mistitled, what you're referring to is a question of morality and has absolutely nothing to do with self defense in any way, shape, or form. I believe a more fitting term would be "self preservation." Self-defense would be if you're walking down the street and a mugger attacks you, and in defense you draw your gun and shoot him.

This entire thread is mistitled, what you're referring to is a question of morality and has absolutely nothing to do with self defense in any way, shape, or form. I believe a more fitting term would be "self preservation." Self-defense would be if you're walking down the street and a mugger attacks you, and in defense you draw your gun and shoot him.

I agree. Never noticed this thread before...lol

My life before others? Depends on the others. In different situations I would probably do different things. In the lever situation I'd probably try to free myself before hand, but if it aint possible i'd let the train go over me. Unless the person is someone I don't think is worth it; like a banker perhaps.

The bullet question is a doozy. I'd stand there and take it. Chances are it'll go through me anyways and hit the person just the same. But considering that only 5% of bullet wounds are lethal I doubt I'd move. Plus, then I'd have a battle scar for the ladies....lmao

• 2 months later...

The first scenario I would not pull the lever, because I would have killed the other person...which is murder...thou, I can't see me ever in that situation. The second scenario also seems unlikely, because if some comes in with a gun...either everyone will naturally duck so you wouldn't have to be concern or you are all going to get shot at before you get the chance to duck. Thou, I couldn't see myself ducking because I would be in too much shock to unfreeze myself from the spot I was standing.

Edited by Sakura Rei

• 3 weeks later...

I'd pull the lever and duck also, I value my life even if I am often sick of it. I'd pull the lever and duck because the others are not people I know, therefore I don't really care about them, especially in situations such as this. I'm not saying I don't care about people dying but in a situation like this my own life is more important.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An interesting part of human psychology is that all our decisions come back to the self. Everything a person does comes down to what they perceive is best for them to do in a certain situation. For example, even people who give to charity only do so because they enjoy it, take pride in it or are directly involved in it (of course not counting other external situations such as pressure from other people). Seeing as most people care about themselves over a stranger, it's obvious that most people would chose to keep their life and let the stranger die.

I personally would do the same. I would feel only a little guilt, but then realize that there is no point worrying and letting the life I chose to continue living be impacted by the choice I made. Even later on, I would even think that it was a novelty that I was part of someone's death. However, the most worrying thing about this situation is what happens after the situation. Would a person who willingly lets another person die to save their own life be a murderer? This could lead to court cases and criminal charges. If by choosing life that life would be restricted by the result of law, then that gives an argument towards letting yourself die. I personally would dismiss this and still let the stranger die. Even a restricted life is better than dying when faced with the fear of death.

In a scenario where the fear of death presents itself, people will act in self preservation by instinct. This is again due to the fact that everything comes back to the self. While it is hard to simulate this fear on an online discussion and instead people think about rational explanations, I believe that even those who said that they would die for the stranger would act differently if the real situation were to present itself. The fear of death is a very powerful thing, almost everyone who experiences it is unprepared to cope with it.

Edited by boink666