YouTube Downloader Software

Phenomex95

jDownloader will work fine. If you copy the link code while jDownloader is open it will load all the various versions you can download (I usually choose the mp4 version of the highest resolution up to 720p).

http://jdownloader.org

Or you can install the the MP4 Youtube Downloader as an add-on for FireFox. It works great and adds a nice download button below youtube videos on the youtube website

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mp4-downloader/?src=external-downloadpage

If you want to download from youtube then use one of the methods Koby already mentioned and forget about doing it with chrome. Youtube and Chrome are both Google owned so I doubt you'll ever see a plugin that will allow you to dl from youtube on the chrome platform. The only thing I really see that gives chrome an advantage over firefox is chrome's built in task manager. The fact that the firefox devs feel the need to madly update firefox to compete with chrome is also pretty fail, but the browser I choose when it matters is still firefox. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

If you do a search of the tech center you will also find that this topic has already been covered. You will find some other suggestions you can try in that thread as well.

I would have to go with the fact that it isn't tied to Google. Being the truly open browser that firefox is you'll probably always be able to do more with it. That being said I'm typing this in Chrome, but if firefox ever gets a task manager like the one chrome has that would change. I use chrome for general surfing but firefox for everything else.

You can use whatever you want, but I really doubt google is ever going to allow a plugin that would allow you to dl from youtube. Firefox however has many plugins that dl from youtube and alot of others.

What makes Firefox better then Chrome??

Um. The fact that your information and websites you visit aren't tracked and stored ain't a good enough answer for you?

Seriously what part of 'Chrome tracks everything put through it and even sells that information or uses it for Google's benefit' do you not understand?

I use a free converter which doesn't demand your details whatsoever. http://ixconverter.com

You can choose what video format you want, just paste the youtube video URL into the white box in the converter and press convert. If it doesnt work the first time, it should the next. When it has finished you can wait 15 seconds or press "Download File" to download your video. The videos download quickly for me.

;)

jDownloader does the job but it's Java (i.e. a memory hog).

Video DownloadHelper
That is pretty much the reason I loved Firefox for so long. It's one of the easiest tools and most efficient.
I use jDownloader .. I use to use IDM it was good.. but after I moved to Ubuntu I had to use jDownloader and it's the best.
Uhhhh, but if you're on *nix you should take advantage of being on *nix.

http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/

Needs python2 (which most likely comes with Ubuntu).

Might work with Windows too.

Everyone should use what they know or like though. That goes for web browsers too (looking at Chrome bashing).

Free Studio has got an awesome youtube downloader. It's also got tons of other media manipulation utilities, you should check it out. It's 100% free, no ads (well only an ad for the product itself), no water marks, nothing.

Glad to see someone else who has herd of this great program but I would suggest using Youtube Downloader HD, it works great and lets you choose what quality you want the video in and lets you choose if you want to turn the video into MP4 format when your done.