Do you think 3 Legendary sanin are overrated? [SPOILERS]

Diablo

I personally think that the 3 Legendary sanin are overrated and there are stronger shinobi out there, for example the people in Akatsuki. Orochimaru was killed by Uchihas. Jiraya was killed by pein and I don't think Lady Tsunade is stronger than Jiraya or Orochimaru.

I personally think that the 3 Legendary sanin are overrated and there are stronger shinobi out there, for example the people in Akatsuki. Orochimaru was killed by Uchihas. Jiraya was killed by pein and I don't think Lady Tsunade is stronger than Jiraya or Orochimaru.

No they are not over-rated. Sannin was simply a title given to them by their master, the 3rd Hokage.

As for your comparison, remember Akatsuki members are elite ninja, whom of which several of their members are stronger than most of the Kage's we've seen.

Orochimaru was killed by Itachi, one of the best ninja we've been shown. The only Uchiha in history that was stronger is Madara. Orochimaru wasn't that strong though. Remember he was nearly beaten by an old and dying 3rd Hokage who was no where near in his prime. While ninja such as Pain could have wiped the 3rd out without breaking a sweat.

They aren't overrated. Just as an example Jiraiya took on all six Pein at once three of which he killed... (They were resurrected, but he managed to capture one of those three and kill them again.) On top of collecting valuable information about Pein. Kakashi which is considered to be a highly skilled jounin was barely able to take on two Pein.

No they are not over-rated. Sannin was simply a title given to them by their master, the 3rd Hokage.

Just to correct you Koby, but the Sannin were given their title by Hanzo of the Salamander, after the three survived a battle with him.

And as for the OP, their title "Densetsu no Sannin" translates to the Legendary Three Ninja. They were called that by Hanzo because he recognised that their skill and teamwork was the best he had ever seen. At the time of gaining their title, they were most likely the strongest known ninja in the world - no-one yet knew Madara was still alive, and Jiraiya only started training Nagato/Pein after gaining the title. Their fame was based on the fact that they were the perfect ninja team - incredibly strong individually, but practically unbeatable when together, each member's weaknesses being compensated for by another's strengths (e.g., Jiraiya calling himself not suited for genjutsu is compensated by Tsunade and her skills in that area).

As for them being beaten, well, no-one's invincible, not even the Sannin. Orochimaru's losses to the Uchiha can be excused due to the fact he wasn't fighting at his full potential in either fight - he was attempting to subdue, not kill Itachi, so wasn't fighting at his fullest, and he was ill when he fought Sasuke. As for almost losing to an old man, this old man had been his sensei, was still active and was regarded as the God of Shinobi. True, he wasn't as strong as in his prime, but a mobile Hiruzen Sarutobi was still plenty dangerous to Orochimaru.

Lastly, as for your line about Tsunade not being stronger than Jiraiya or Orochimaru. If you've ever heard of Rock Paper Scissors, you know the concept that in a system of three, no one member is more powerful than the other two. Rock Paper Scissors is based on the Japanese game of Slug, Toad and Snake. By deliberate design, the Sannin aren't supposed to be stronger than one another. They're more or less equal.

Just to correct you Koby, but the Sannin were given their title by Hanzo of the Salamander, after the three survived a battle with him.

And as for the OP, their title "Densetsu no Sannin" translates to the Legendary Three Ninja. They were called that by Hanzo because he recognised that their skill and teamwork was the best he had ever seen. At the time of gaining their title, they were most likely the strongest known ninja in the world - no-one yet knew Madara was still alive, and Jiraiya only started training Nagato/Pein after gaining the title. Their fame was based on the fact that they were the perfect ninja team - incredibly strong individually, but practically unbeatable when together, each member's weaknesses being compensated for by another's strengths (e.g., Jiraiya calling himself not suited for genjutsu is compensated by Tsunade and her skills in that area).

As for them being beaten, well, no-one's invincible, not even the Sannin. Orochimaru's losses to the Uchiha can be excused due to the fact he wasn't fighting at his full potential in either fight - he was attempting to subdue, not kill Itachi, so wasn't fighting at his fullest, and he was ill when he fought Sasuke. As for almost losing to an old man, this old man had been his sensei, was still active and was regarded as the God of Shinobi. True, he wasn't as strong as in his prime, but a mobile Hiruzen Sarutobi was still plenty dangerous to Orochimaru.

Lastly, as for your line about Tsunade not being stronger than Jiraiya or Orochimaru. If you've ever heard of Rock Paper Scissors, you know the concept that in a system of three, no one member is more powerful than the other two. Rock Paper Scissors is based on the Japanese game of Slug, Toad and Snake. By deliberate design, the Sannin aren't supposed to be stronger than one another. They're more or less equal.

Nice explanation! That was some valuable information you gave out. Personally I agree with you. The Sannin were recognized as a team and how each individual was a vital part of it. Had they still been together, I doubt if even Nagato or Itachi would have been able to defeat them single-handedly (as a team is a different matter). We never got to see the Sannin at their full potential, something always pulled them back. Also, when it comes to stronger ninja, let's not forget Kabuto as well. He has never revealed how strong or talented or skilled he really is, only glimpses of his capability. To be able to perform a jutsu like the Impure World Resurrection requires not only skill but immense control too.

They are not really overarted... Imagine it was even Jiraiya that trained The 4th Hokage (The best Ninja in the entire story).. It's just that we were not shown their real fight power. Tsunade herself has the Chakra that is even enough to Protect the entire Village. And Orochimaru I really like that guy, he was weak and near death when Sasuke Killed him

P:S: I don't like the Uchiha... They are only great because of their bloodline limit :P

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a general response to the replies from cdyer3 on down. Can you expand your answers please? Its no good saying "Jiraiya kicks ass" or "way overrated". You have to give reasons for why you think so. No-one wants to read a response that's barely a few words. If the case is you're simply trying to get to 15 posts, don't bother, because Kametsu bans people like you all the time. It happened to me, so I know exactly what's going down.

Well i don't think they're that overrated, I mean they still kick ass, and they've trained ninja who are pretty damn amazing even now today - Naruto, Minato, Sakura, Anko, Pein, etc etc...

Ok Ok I'm guessing here the Akatsuki are an exception cos they're seriously BADASS and they've got some cool tricks up their sleeve, but still Jiraya managed to kill one Pein, and Orochimaru and Tsunade aren't that bad either..!

Not overrated at all.

Jiraiya: Trained Nagato, Yahiko, Konan, Minato and Naruto. And these are all conjured from the most popular and powerful ninjas throughout the entire anime. Lets not forget that in sage mode jiraiya held his own against Pain and took out many of them.

Orochimaru: Well, the main antagonist in Naruto until Shippuuden came along. He got ravaged by Naruto in 4-Tails and underestimated Sasuke and Itachi. So to some extent he may be a bit overrated for a main antagonist. However being a master of the forbidden jutsus and practically almost immortal he is pretty freaking powerful. Although Jiraiya > him though haha.

Tsunade: 5th Hokage, but can be safely assumed that she is the weakest out of all the previous Hokage. She's a pro medical ninja with immense strength and trained Sakura who beat Sasori an Akatsuki. She doesnt do well in fights but her knowledge and skills with medicine are apparent, like the aftermath of the battle with Pain. How she used most of her chakra to heal the people.

All in all I don't think they are overrated.

• 1 month later...

yeah i would have to agree with some here. they arent overrated. cause im jiraiya could of beat pain if he actually focus on it instead of try to figure out pain's power etc. and orochimaru was alreadyy gettting weak when sasuke killed him hence orochimaru needed a new body. and tsunade is powerful in her own way afterall she did become hokage and saved a lot of ppl from dying when pain invaded