how will we cure cancer

Leviathan87

That doesn't/wouldn't work as they have actually tried that numerous times and it always comes back depending on the type of cancer it is. There is some rare forms of cancer that currently cannot be gotten rid of permanently and once you get it it's only a matter of fighting for as much time as you can get. Like with what Taylor had. No one has ever survived it and every person who has gotten DSRCT and went into remission it always returned within a few months.

The thing is most people don't know is that 100% of the human population has cancer cells as they are born with them. It's part of being a living being. The thing is unknown circumstances etc cause them to somehow activate, multiply, and evolve.

Cancer, to be precise is increase in the number of cells in a large number, now even if we remove the increased number, it will come back and back(in most of the cases) removing the infected cells only works in initial stages(which by far goes unnoticed most of the time). Radiation is also used, so is chemotherapy, none of them is 100% assured to cure cancer, and they both have severe side effects.

Well, the theoretical ways to correct cancer is to either repair the DNA is malfunctioning cell, or to destroy them completely(none of the method is actually possible till now, or have reached 100% efficiency) or the other method involves regeneration of critical cancer effected organs by stem cell(again, not fully functional). There is some hope in nanotechnology in this area as it can be more of search and destroy in the body without any collateral damage (still, a whole lot of just theory =S)

My dad actually was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago, and, by the end of the year, will have undergone all three of the mentioned treatments (A surgeon removed a tumor wrapped around his jugular at the beginning of the summer and he's been going in for chemo ever since, to be followed by radiation in a month or two). One of the things I've learned through this experience, as well as a few others I've been around, is that cancer treatment is, as Koby and Asch mentioned, a very inclusive process. It takes multiple approaches to have any sort of success (with rare exceptions).

That said, from a theoretical stance, there have actually been some interesting studies going on with marijuana. While the plant inherently contains more carcinogens than cigarettes, marijuana users had been noticed to have a lower risk of cancer than non-users (though a higher risk of dementia). Upon further research, while the plant has hallucinogens (that lead to dementia) it also contains cancer stunting properties (that are not connected to the hallucinogens), which have been shown to destroy most types of cancerous cells in petry dishes (it causes the cells to eat themselves). Scientists in Spain are pushing for human testing last I heard, but it's way off from production (assuming it is effective in human testing).

Another potential, and more common sense, solution I heard of was a surgical procedure in which the blood vessels feeding the tumor are burned shut with lasers, causing the tumor, lacking nutrition, to shrivel and die. The obvious problems are tumors with large surface areas and particularly fast growing tumors. Still, this could be a great solution for early stage cancer or as an additional treatment method to be added into the mix.

We won't cure cancer anytime soon, the pharmaceutical companies make too much money off the sick. A blow to them would implode the economy. The best one can hope for is being informed on how to prevent the spread of cancer, by taking necessary precautions. Aside from obvious day-to-day activities like not smoking and avoiding unnecessary sun exposure, there are other factors at work such as radation. I have strict oversight in my field due to deceased cancer patients who carry beta particles from gamma/beta radation. Basically radioactive materials are used for cancer therapy, so to take precautions the model we follow is: Time, Distance, Shielding. Cytotoxic drugs kill both malignant and normal cells, whereas antimetabolite drugs substitute for an essential metabolite required by the cancer cell for growth.

Cancer, I lost an aunty to Lupus (I think) anyways it was pulmonary,

it usually consist of the lungs and usually shrinks it,

man she said she had to smoke cigarettes to get rid of the pain,

what I mean is she already had pain but it was very severe pain,

and smoking cigarettes was still hurting, but it was a lesser pain she had to put up

with, that only made things worse though..

Well, they just succesfully cured two people of Luekemia. What they did was they took T-cells from the bodies of three dying Luekemia patients, and infected the T-cells with non-lethal strands of the HIV virus. They then (somehow) reprogramed the HIV-infected T-cells to fight Luekemia cells rather than the immune system. And finally, they injected the cells back into the patients.

So farm two of them are now Luekemia free and are very much healthy, the third one still has it, but his T-cell count is very high, and he feels a lot better.

Maybe there is hope?