URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony

Tell Congress to oppose S. 978, the new "Ten Strikes" bill

Here they go again: Big business's lobbyists are launching another attack on Internet freedom. Senators are considering a "Ten Strikes" bill to make it a felony to stream copyrighted content -- like music in the background of a Youtube video -- more than ten times.

As the writers at TechDirt point out, under this bill you could go to jail for posting video of your friends singing karaoke:

The entertainment industry is freaking out about sites that embed and stream infringing content, and want law enforcement to put people in jail over it, rather than filing civil lawsuits.... We already pointed to one possibility: that people embedding YouTube videos could face five years in jail. Now, others are pointing out that it could also put kids who lip sync to popular songs, and post the resulting videos on YouTube, in jail as well.

That's right: Ten strikes and you could get jail time. Less than a month ago, the Hollywood industry magazine, Variety, reported, "Industry lobbyists pressed House members on Wednesday to pass legislation that would make illegal streaming of movies, TV shows and other types of content a felony...."

Only a few weeks later, the MPAA is getting its wish. Will you email your lawmakers and tell them to vote against the Ten Strikes Bill? Just add your info at right to automatically send this note to them, under your name and from your address. (You can edit the letter if you'd like to.)

Source: http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/ten_strikes/?source=fb

kids who lip sync to popular songs, and post the resulting videos on YouTube, in jail as well.

NO! Those bastards are going after AMV's!

Seriously, these things keep getting shot down time and again. Why do they persist in trying to control the public? Might as well put everyone on a leash and teach em specific tricks like - Eat!, Work!, Sleep (Not)!, Pay Taxes!

Isn't that how justin bieber was discovered? It amazes me how the elite of this nation do everything they can to control our habits and actions and then speak out against other nations who take similar actions against their people. Is it really democracy or total hypocrisy.

I asked this twice now with the former bills/attempts and I'll ask this again.

Who in america is so ridiculously retarded to come up with these ideas anyway?! And why is it that everytime a proposal for a crack idea is given, everybody starts feeling as if this thing has gotten close to the white house? Since this idea affects the whole US, why should obama of all ppl be left out? And we all know he's not the type to even consider such a move.

Besides that:

The entertainment industry is freaking out about sites that embed and stream infringing content, and want law enforcement to put people in jail over it

^ I already knew this from the very beginning, and now its confirmed! xD

In a nutshell, this is just them being butthurt over having to deal with the terms of fair use and online viewing. So yeah nothing to worry bout here. They've always been like this.

It's pretty much worthless since the lobbyist got the DMCA [Digital Millennium Copyright Act] past.

Even DMCA has some rules on fair use though. Nowadays the only reason why amvs/remixes/covers are taken down is mostly coz their reporters are the same kind of ppl as the ones making these crappy bills.

Just google "DMCA and fair use".

And also check this out: http://fairusetube.org/

would that mean rebecca black gets put in jail?

Damit Razor!! i had a clear opinion about this subject, but if that woman goes to jail, then maybe its a good thing. lolz.

no just joking. Goverments will always look for ways to make money and control the public. no Goverment really cares about their people anymore!! This is just Crazy!!

You have got to be kidding me. How can you not have music in the background? Sometimes that's just unavoidable. I think they're just trying to piss everyone that makes videos on YouTube pissed off. and I agree about the AMV thing, whoever said that.