Kametsu Khronicle Issue #7 [Mini]

RazorDan

LekiKhronicle.png

THE KAMETSU KHRONICLE!

Update

Yeah, another mini-issue. Hopefully, we'll get it back to normal soon. Enjoy it anyway!

The Team

RazorDan- Head Editor

Iki- Vice Editor

Gneiss [Anras Rune]- Literary + Gaming Chief

Krogothwolf- Chief of Staff

Irish- GFX Chief

Hicks- Anime Reviewer

FlutterShy- Creative Team

Mute Point- Creative Team

Feel free to contact any member of the team if you wish to make a recommendation or have a question about anything.

Page 1- News

The Khronicle Awards!

The judges have spoken. The votes have been counted, the winners determined! Here are the results!

Kametsu Moderator

Sickadiscustus

Ballard

Talena Mae

Renzourin

Koby

The winner is................. Sickadiscustus! For his amazing work with the download section!

Friendliest User

Oblivia

Idl12

Wake

Ujimushiko

Stuy

The winner is.......... Oblivia! Always is a heap of fun no matter who you are!

Funniest User

Zen

Krogothwolf

Idl12

Oblivia

The winner is........... Idl12! His hilarious sex-filled mind constantly keeps everyone entertained! An honorable mention goes to Krogothwolf who only just lost.

Most Enjoyable Writer

The Joker

Shazi

Talena Mae

Ujimushiko

Mute Point

The winner is.......... The Joker! Kametsu Kombat is the most commented story on Kametsu. 'Nuff said!

Most Likeable User

Oblivia

Shazi

Ballard

Apollo

Shade_13

The winner is........... Shade_13! Always in the CB, greets the new members, talks to anyone and everyone and we all pressed him to return, and how happy we were when he came back to us.

Well that is the end of part one of the awards! Congrats to all the winners! Here are the nominations for part 2:

Best GFX artist

Shazi

Apollo

poetictradegy

zZJoennZz

Irish

Leki

BURNTHEPRIEST

Koby

Randomest Member

honey_prince

Krogothwolf

idl12

Speed

ok, this is getting a bit tedious now >.<

Best AMV maker

seirachan

Irish

The Joker

Idl12 (AGAIN!)

Ok, I give up, theres your lot. I may add more later though lol

Page 2- Creative Center

Unlikely allies (Ongoing Khronicle story)

by Mute Point

Chapter 6

A peal of bone chilling laughter echoed from the center of the camp as the wizard’s hands were freed. “It’s playtime now boys.” He yelled, flames shooting from his hands to incinerate the orcs nearest to him. The screams of the burning orcs died out quickly, but the distraction they caused was enough for Irene to back out of the circle of orcs, taking a more favorable position even as she dispatched two more with a single stroke.

After the initial burst of flame, the wizard started picking the orcs off one at a time, though Irene couldn’t tell if it was because he couldn’t use the larger spell more than once, or if he was simply enjoying himself. Emboldened by their new ally, Irene began cutting her way toward him, not even going for the kill every time, simply batting them out of her way so she could get in there as quickly as possible. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a glimpse of Caitlyn also working her way in, whirling about so quickly that none of the orcs had gotten a hit on her yet.

The momentary distraction caused by seeing her friend alive and well cost Irene another gash, this one along the back of her leg, though luckily for her it went along the grain of the muscle, and thus she could still use it if she moved carefully. Steel rang against steel as Irene and Caitlyn fought to the center of the camp, each finding a new surge of energy when they reached each other and stood back to back.

“Don’t ever worry me like that again!” Caitlyn yelled, her voice barely audible over the commotion.

“Back at you!” Irene replied, laughing as they whirled together, ripping into the orcs with a renewed fury. The wizard’s blasts of fire kept them from being overwhelmed by the numbers, but even with that advantage, Irene knew they were in trouble.

As the orc’s numbers dwindled, and the allies’ energy began to falter, the war cries of the returning patrols could be heard from all around them, their heavy footfalls causing the trees to tremble as they charged toward camp. Even as Irene swore, and tried to come up with a plan to let everyone else escape, an earth shaking roar echoed through the forest, sending what few animals remained fleeing in terror, and caused a far too brief pause in the melee.

Page 3- Kro's Corner

It's time for your favorite section of the week. Here's Kro with "Kro's Corner" -

Kro’s Corner: The Adventures of the Mentally Challenged Vancouver Canuck Fans.

Canucks lost the cup to the Bruins. The pick Kro made from the beginning of the year who would win the cup, The Bruins, turned out to be correct. That’s 2 for 2 this year! Picked the Super Bowl Champs and the Stanley Cup champs. Go me!! Woooh

Anyways, Vancouver lost the cup at home, and the morons in charge of the city though, letting 100,000 people in the streets for the game was a good idea. With minimal police force out. So guess what, They loss and RIOT!!! Like a bunch of brain dead idiots they rioted. Burning things, breaking things, trashing things. Oh my it was stupid. So anyways, you got the Canucks team saying “True Canuck fans wouldn’t have rioted.” Yet for each rioter is 10 morons cheering them on. Insane!

Anyways, Hockey is now over till September when training camp starts. It shall be a sad time for Kro for he feels alone without hockey.

Now, the next thing Kro was thinking about, and this got him wondering why are some gamers mentally challenged morons? Why? Do you really need to scream and throw a hissy fit because you died? Is that necessary? Do you know you look like moron doing that? Like an idiot with no brain? It’s a game morons, its meant to be played for fun. If you don’t find getting killed in an FPS fun then go play one of those moronic Animal Pet games on the DS, that way you’ll never worry about another gamer killing you. So you wont have to scream and cry to your mommy someone died. My Kill-Death ratio is like 1-2 and I’m still enjoying myself, so what if I killed you, don’t need to cry like a baby because I did.

Kro also watched a movie recently, it was really stupidly dumb, and he regrets watching it. He urges you to never watch the Human Centipede. It is worse then Teeth it terms of dumbness. It fried like half my brain cells watching it. I was flabbergasted how dumb it was. FLABERGASTED.

He also wonders why, oh why, do people let Uwe Boll direct movies, why people, why do you do such a thing?

Also, WHY DID THEY SCREW UP THE GREEN LANTERN STORY SO MUCH IN THE MOVIE!!!! Now I’m not going to spoil it for you peeps who want to watch it, but if you are a fan of the comic, be prepared to see the lore screwed up royally. Damn morons ruin DC movies, Green Lantern coulda been awesome, but instead it’s a meh movie. Hal Jordan rules as a super hero! You just butchered em, BUTCHERED HIM! I think writers who screw up this badly should be dragged through town by a horse, to be laughed and a having tomatoes thrown at them. DAMN FOOLS!

Page 4- Reviews

Ghost in the Shell

(1995 movie)

Hicks

When I'd first seen this movie, I didn't understand yet that it was actually unrelated to the series, which is what I'd seen first. So I was a bit understandably confused at the differences, not yet realizing that there are a lot of anime movies, series, and OVAs which are only related in that they are all different adaptations of the same source material. I'm told that this movie is closer to the source material than the series, though it's a bit slower paced than the original manga. I still can't hide the fact that I prefer the series, but that really doesn't mean that I don't like this movie.

Having watched it a few times since I first rented it, I can definitely say that this movie takes a more patient sci-fi fan to be really enjoyed. There is action at different points in the series, not to mention fan service in the form of the main protagonist Major Motoko Kusanagi stripping down for her invisibility camouflage to work, but the pacing is fairly slow. In fact, I'd say that this movie is more in the spirit of older sci-fi, from the late '60s and the '70s than more modern ones, excepting Blade Runner of course. Actually comparisons to Blade Runner wouldn't be all that far off.

The story follows Kusanagi and her fellow Section 9 officers, who deal specifically with technological threats and crimes. Even still, the focus of the story is more on the philosophy of what it really means to be human, and if a machine can actually develop a soul, though here they refer to it as a "ghost." This movie is also an old school sci-fi in that it actually does focus on what effect(s) new technology might have on humanity. In this case, not only are their androids, but people have become cybernetic to carrying degrees, some actually having their entire bodies replaced, like the Major and her friend/subordinate, Bateau (as it is spelled in this movie). So from there the movie deals with ideas like, can a person who's had their entire body replaced still be considered the same person, and themes of losing one's identity because those cybernetic bodies are produced in assembly lines. At points the Major sees what seem to be copies of herself, though we can never be sure if that's in her mind or not.

Actually, that brings me to another comparison to Blade Runner, namely that in exactly the same way there was some ambiguity as to whether Decker was a human or a replicant, Major Kusanagi is paranoid by the idea that the military has somehow secretly replaced her brain with a computer, and that she's actually just an android programmed to think she is human. So she tends to do some things that are very dangerous in order to feel human, much to Bateau's chagrin.

Then, of course, there's the idea that a person who has been cybernetically enhanced might lose their free will and even their own identity thanks to actually being hacked by someone else. Of course while I actually feel plenty of sympathy for someone like that, even in the face that person may have gone on to commit crimes because of that hacking, other characters in the movie seem to not really be all that sympathetic. Kind of another commentary of the effects such technology might have on humanity, I guess.

The nice thing about all this is that it all leads back into the plot. A mysterious hacker known as the "Puppetmaster" has been hacking a lot of people. That plot leads to more as Section 9 investigates the matter and makes them run afoul of certain military interests. This is where the idea of artificial life comes in, as it turns out their quarry is actually a military AI that wants to escape and to actually bond with a human being. Naturally those certain military interests I mentioned earlier want to both destroy the escaped AI, and kill anyone who knows about it in order to keep them from revealing the truth about the Puppetmaster and their connection to it.

That being said, the end of the movie is somewhat sad, mostly because the implication is that the human the Puppetmaster chooses to bond with effectively ceases to exist in the process and becomes a new life form entirely, and I was rather fond of that character. The new life form then escapes to an unknown fate. There is a bit of a sequel hook there, but really the story could have just ended there.

I honestly can't make any comparison to the original manga because I haven't read it yet, and probably won't anytime soon. All I can say is that this is an overall a good movie, and well worth a watch. The only caveat with that is that you are definitely going to need some patience to get through it. I, personally, don't see the slow pace as a bad thing, especially because the movie is just taking the time to explain the characters and set things up for the story rather than rushing right into the action, but at times I have to admit that the pacing would pick up just a little bit. I'd say the one that suffers more from that is the sequel, which is the review I'll be writing next. As for this one, it's a little tough to rate, actually. In some ways, I'm not entirely sure if I want to rate it at an 8 or a 9, but I think I'm going to go ahead and rate it as an 8/10. It just doesn't quite make a 9 in my opinion, and I don't really split ratings.

Well that's the end of the Mini Issue #7. Hope you guys enjoy it and leave comments below! Hopefully, it'll be back to normal soon. Till next time!

Congrats to all the winners! and good luck to all the people in the new Catagories. Kro... all I can say is, "you watched the entire Human Centipede movie?!?!" I couldn't... I had to run away so my mind would stay intact (well as much intact as I came into the movie with, lol).

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll take this chance to give you an update:

We are currently re-working the whole Khronicle to make it more efficient and faster, as well as better. As to when the next issue will be released, unfortunately we have no specific date. Rest assured you will definitely be seeing issue 8 in the near future.

Ok, I'll take this chance to give you an update:

We are currently re-working the whole Khronicle to make it more efficient and faster, as well as better. As to when the next issue will be released, unfortunately we have no specific date. Rest assured you will definitely be seeing issue 8 in the near future.

I look forward to seeing what you've got planned. <3