Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

I much prefer dubs, but I don't mind subs. I have to laugh at how pretentious some can get over the apparent superiority of subs. Dubs back in the day could be downright awful, but then again ever watched western cartoons back then, the voice acting in those weren't that great either.

Thankfully places like funimation are doing great work with eng dubs and seem to try and match a good voice to a character. I do think they could do with more voice talent, but perhaps they have tight budgets.

I think a great example of eng voice casting is the guy who voices Alucard, in Helsing, having watched both dubs, I think the english voice actor is perfect, but alas its all IMO. Regards Rei

BTW: I read dubs fast, to the point that I forget I'm reading them and just for a moment, one part of my brain goes, wow I understand Japanese. Then the much smarter part goes, god I'm shackled to this idiot. 

Edited by reizerozero
  • Like 1

It depends on the anime for me.  I will always watch Pokemon dubbed because I grew up with it dubbed.  I watch pretty much everything else subbed.  I did watch Monster dubbed, but later switched to subbed because I couldn't stand the English voice actors.  I started to watch Hell Girl dubbed, but quit halfway through the first episode because I couldn't get used to the voices after watching it in Japanese.

Long story short, the English voice actors usually don't have the same enthusiasm as the Japanese ones.

Honestly I prefer to watch Anime's with English Dub that way I can actually watch the action and not have to spend majority of my time trying to read what they are saying at the bottom of the screen. I end up missing a lot of stuff when I was the English subs, just not fast enough of a reader I guess.