Game of Thrones (TV Series)

Nero D. Ace

I can only think of a few complaints I have about the show.

1. They changed Asha Greyjoy's name to Yara. And I can't figure out why.
  2. Jeyne Westerling has been replaced by Talisa Maegyr.
  3. Robb is pretty OOC in season two.

In the book, Robb's army is taken in by the Westerlings following a battle, and Jeyne takes care of him. After hearing about Theon's betrayal, Jeyne "comforts" him, and in the morning, he decides to marry her to protect her honor. He realizes he's made a mistake and reneged on his promise with the Freys. But in the show, he's just kind of like, "Screw the deal, I'm marrying this girl because I do what I want." And it bothers me so much.

I can only think of a few complaints I have about the show.

1. They changed Asha Greyjoy's name to Yara. And I can't figure out why.
  2. Jeyne Westerling has been replaced by Talisa Maegyr.
  3. Robb is pretty OOC in season two.

In the book, Robb's army is taken in by the Westerlings following a battle, and Jeyne takes care of him. After hearing about Theon's betrayal, Jeyne "comforts" him, and in the morning, he decides to marry her to protect her honor. He realizes he's made a mistake and reneged on his promise with the Freys. But in the show, he's just kind of like, "Screw the deal, I'm marrying this girl because I do what I want." And it bothers me so much.

Yikes! I didn't notice any of these because I had only read half of the first book. The spoiler bit is the one that hurts the most.

I was just watching the newest episode online (we don't have HBO, sob), and I get to the last two minutes, in THAT scene where everything is really intense. And this rock version of the Bear and the Maiden Fair starts playing over the dialogue. I guess it was supposed to be in the episode, but started playing too early? I literally screamed bloody murder.

That last thing was kind of cool though. I mean, I knew it was happening, but to see it was awesome.

Also, thakldjfahg Theon. I've always disliked him, but oh man. I definitely wouldn't wish his plights on anybody.

I was just watching the newest episode online (we don't have HBO, sob), and I get to the last two minutes, in THAT scene where everything is really intense. And this rock version of the Bear and the Maiden Fair starts playing over the dialogue. I guess it was supposed to be in the episode, but started playing too early? I literally screamed bloody murder.

That last thing was kind of cool though. I mean, I knew it was happening, but to see it was awesome.

Also, thakldjfahg Theon. I've always disliked him, but oh man. I definitely wouldn't wish his plights on anybody.

I didn't get what you meant about the rock version of the Bear and Maiden Fair until I watched it. Theon is a traitor to the core and although he receives cruel treatment, he brought it all on himself. After all, he killed a man without any remorse, stabbing at him like a beast and then he butchered what he thought were Bran and Rickon (I hope the spelling's right :/ ) A guy like that would not get a good end......also did Jamie's hand get chopped off???

I didn't get what you meant about the rock version of the Bear and Maiden Fair until I watched it. Theon is a traitor to the core and although he receives cruel treatment, he brought it all on himself. After all, he killed a man without any remorse, stabbing at him like a beast and then he butchered what he thought were Bran and Rickon (I hope the spelling's right :/ ) A guy like that would not get a good end......also did Jamie's hand get chopped off???

He knew those boys weren't Bran and Rickon. I think he killed them so he wouldn't look like a failure to the Ironborn and the people of Winterfell. And it only gets worse for him. >_<

YES, IT DID. That's his sword hand too.

He knew those boys weren't Bran and Rickon. I think he killed them so he wouldn't look like a failure to the Ironborn and the people of Winterfell. And it only gets worse for him. >_<

YES, IT DID. That's his sword hand too.

Three cheers!!!!!! Jamie Lannister is a wicked cruel man who doesn't deserve to live, like most Lannisters (add his father, sister and his little brat-of-nephew who calls himself king). 

Butchering two little innocent kids like that, did Theon really think his father was going to accept him? I would love to see what happens to him later.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I don't get in trouble for triple posting (setting a bad example, whoops), but I'm hoping to get some discussion going here.

Couple things. They completely removed Willas Tyrell from the story. He's who Margaery and Olenna were trying to set Sansa up with. I think Cersei was supposed to marry somebody else also. I guess it's simpler this way, but whatever.

I really don't remember Gendry getting carried off my Melisandre either. READ THE BOOKS, PEOPLE.

I keep mentioning a "thing." And I get the feeling that I'll need tissues next week.
tumblr_inline_mmegnpjIl61qz4rgp.gif

Also, Iwan Rheon is fantastic. I was leery after watching a few episodes of Misfits, but man. A+ job.

Favorite lines. "The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth." "The Lysa Arryn of chairs." And Littlefinger's "chaos is a ladder" monologue.

Edited by poetictragedy

I hope I don't get in trouble for triple posting (setting a bad example, whoops), but I'm hoping to get some discussion going here.

Couple things. They completely removed Willas Tyrell from the story. He's who Margaery and Olenna were trying to set Sansa up with. I think Cersei was supposed to marry somebody else also. I guess it's simpler this way, but whatever.

I really don't remember Gendry getting carried off my Melisandre either. READ THE BOOKS, PEOPLE.

I keep mentioning a "thing." And I get the feeling that I'll need tissues next week.

tumblr_inline_mmegnpjIl61qz4rgp.gif

Also, Iwan Rheon is fantastic. I was leery after watching a few episodes of Misfits, but man. A+ job.

Favorite lines. "The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth." "The Lysa Arryn of chairs." And Littlefinger's "chaos is a ladder" monologue.

I was somewhere in episode 3 or 4 of Season 3 and I haven't come across anything that you mentioned Poe......I think I know what that thing is.......especially since you said you would need tissues.........but I guess I have to complete the episodes before actually confirming what's in my head. 

I have to admit that the show was actually hard to get into if you know nothing about the books. That's how I started, and I found that I didn't know any of the characters and didn't understand a lot of things in the first season. I actually considered quitting multiple times, but every episode ended with a cliff-hanger, so I couldn't just stop.

After I watched the first season, I started reading the books. When I watched the first season again, after having finished the book, everything made so much more sense.

The thing I don't understand is how I can love this show/book series so much, but can't get into Lord of the Rings... They're like the same thing. Kind of.

I have to admit that the show was actually hard to get into if you know nothing about the books. That's how I started, and I found that I didn't know any of the characters and didn't understand a lot of things in the first season. I actually considered quitting multiple times, but every episode ended with a cliff-hanger, so I couldn't just stop.

After I watched the first season, I started reading the books. When I watched the first season again, after having finished the book, everything made so much more sense.

The thing I don't understand is how I can love this show/book series so much, but can't get into Lord of the Rings... They're like the same thing. Kind of.

I've never read the books, and I never had any problems with understanding anything or not knowing the characters. o.o

I fell in love with the show without ever knowing anything about it, from the very first episode. =P

• 2 weeks later...

'Game of Thrones' is casting new characters for season 4

Game of Thrones' cast is like the mythical hydra: for every character they kill off, two more pop up the next season. It's looking like that'll be the case for the show's fourth season, which airs next year; Game of Thrones is already casting new characters, according to creator George R.R. Martin.

At a recent fan convention, Martin named off several new faces who would be joining the series in 2014 (mild spoilers follow).

Auditions are currently being held for the roles of Styr the Magnar of Thenn, Mace Tyrell, and Oberyn Martell. Don't read the books/have forgotten who those characters are? Here's a quick rundown for you:

Styr the Magnar of Thenn is a wildling leader allied with Mance Rayder (Ciaran Hinds). Styr's role in the books has largely been replaced in the series by Tormund Giantsbane (Kristofer Hivju), so bringing in the character at this point means that the show is continuing to deviate from its source material (not unlike the introduction of Mackenzie Crook's character Orell).

Mace Tyrell is the father of Margaery (Natalie Dormer), and is a rather incompetent and fat Lord (it's the women who control the power in House Tyrell). He'll be arriving for his daughter's wedding to Prince Joffrey, which is pretty much confirmed now to be taking place in season 4.

Oberyn Martell, also known as the Red Viper, is the fan favorite of the bunch. He comes from the southernmost part of Westeros, Dorne, and is called to sit on the King's small council as a representative. He does have an ulterior motive, for making the trip, though -- and it involves the very dangerous Ser Gregor Clegane.

What do you think? Who would you like to see fill these roles?

Game of Thrones returns for its next episode, "The Rains of Castamere," this Sunday at 9/8c on HBO.