Resident Evil or Silent Hill

Koby

Which is better?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Resident Evil
    • Silent Hill

• 2 weeks later...

I think both have really lost sight about what originally made both so great. Resident Evil has suffered the worst of it though, despite Capcom's promises to return the series to it's "survival horror" roots, i'm not entirely convinced they know what survival horror actually entails anymore.

Now as for what i prefer, i prefer Silent Hill as a story driven experience, it's usually more interesting to see things unfold because of the way SH chooses to tell it's story while leaving the player enough room for personal interpretations. From a gameplay standpoint i think i'd rather play RE2/3/4 again rather then SH2/3.

The remake of RE1 for gamecube was aftzing. After resident evil 3 the seriese turned away from what made it good. I've played Silent hill 1 &2 (the rest are on my list of games to play) and they were both great, though i hear they also have deviated from what made them great.

As for the movies, Silent Hill was great and Resident Evil 1 was great, after that the resident evil movies went way down in quality.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just look at my Avatar and take a guess?  LOL

Resident Evil is one of the BEST game series ever made!  1-3 follow the traditional story, and the rest are really like totally different games with returning characters mixed in.  They are all still great, and RE4 had some of the best controls of any game ever.

I played the first silent hill and never played another.  The games skip over scary and jump strait to strange and demented in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

If we're discussing the current state of the series silent hill is winning the last 2 resident evils were just half ass shooters part 6 was the worst its strayed too far from survival horror, the last couple silent hills weren't great either but they haven't sold out yet. Still though resident evil 4 is miles beyond the best silent hill game, i liked the gamecube remake of the first game also but i know some who didnt.

Edited by jedimasta

Well, both have suffered tremendously as they've gotten older. The Resident Evil series has ceased to be a survival horror series and instead focused on pathetically predictable jump scares and sub-par action-style gameplay, and the Silent Hill series has adopted Resi's former curse of gimmicky controls and plodding, often tedious narrative. Neither have produced a proper instalment in their respective franchise since the PS2 generation, and with this focus on style over substance that is plaguing the industry, that doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. Which is a shame, because both were fantastic series back in the day.

That said, between the two, I'd go for Silent Hill, if only because the earlier games scared me significantly more than Resi did. The original Silent Hill still gets me from time to time. Resi 4 was a good game, but it just wasn't Resi.