Windows Vista

Koby

I assume most of you are aware of the release of Windows Vista by now. How many of you use it? Do you like it better then XP, and have you had any problems with it?

I've heard Vista has some programs in it that prevents you from using pirated software. My mom and I bought a new computer for our Graphic business and it came with Vista so I got to test it out. From what I experienced, Vista was pretty crap. Our computer had 1gb of RAM, and 120 GB Hard drive, and it was using a bunch of CPU just for Vista and the computer was going really slow. Some of the features where updated, but most of it was pretty much the same or worse then it was in XP. The only thing I liked about Vista was the great looking design for the start bar and other stuff.

We ended up having to downgrade the computer to XP, because our program we needed for our company wasn't compatible with Vista.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i like vista. And some of the neat new programs that come for it. And most things actually do work on vista. Even if it says xp.

All my games for xp work with no problem. And so do the Vista games eh. And well i have a powerful gaming computer. so i cant say i ever experince any slownes. But, i also upgraded to vista for halo 2 on the computer so yeah :P

And i guess they didnt do any huge tweak sbut there are alot of small upgrades that make it more neat eh :D

I tried playing a few games and running some programs on my friend's Vista. The computer kept denying it so Vista is pretty much nasty. Points for looking cool.

If you know to install or create themes though you can easily make XP look like Vista. =P

I have vista on my laptop, I like it way better than xp, it looks great, runs smoothly and I havent ever had any problems with it. Most people don't like it because they dont know how to use it and work around the stuff they are putting on it that is for xp, trust me anything that was on xp can be ran on vista you just have to know how to work around it until more things start coming out for vista.

By the way, you will need 1.8GB or higher to run it smoothly, companies recommend 2GB, my friend has it on a 1.8GB laptop and it works fine though. I use a 4GB Vaio Laptop.

As far as running pirated software goes... lol I'll just say you can run it and leave it at that =P I know...

There are also several different versions of Vista out, probably the older ones are what alot of people are having problems with, I have the latest one, maybe thats why I havent had many problems, thats gotta be it because I see so many people saying its bad and when I use it...nothing but greatness xD so either its old versions or they just dont have it and want to talk crap on it. But yeah Vista is still going to be more of a novelty for the next year or so until more and more people have it.

I tried playing a few games and running some programs on my friend's Vista. The computer kept denying it so Vista is pretty much nasty. Points for looking cool.

Yeah most games do no play automatically on vista because of its new security protection program, if you right click and target "run as administrator" it should run perfectly though, its getting denied because of the advanced protect system vista has so xp stuff needs to be ran this way some times since it is vista and not XP.

(by the way this goes for other programs not just games, that are for xp)

If that doesnt work for them there is also a option under the properties of the game (the right click>properties) that will allow them to set the game to run in Compatibility Mode, Vista will allow you to set the program to run as if it is running on any other type of Windows operating system of your choice. I found this out when trying to run the first warcraft game from years ago way before XP, My Vista will let you select compatibility all the way back to Windows 95, so it should run every windows program with no problems.

EDIT: Also MS-DOS games are possible to run on Vista, those take alittle more work, if anyone has trouble with getting any Classic games to work from DOS I suggest trying the emulator DOSBox. Link is here

Vista is a RAM eater, man. Why should it need so much RAM for? My old PC with 512 RAM was completely SUPERSLOWED just when Vista started up.

If you buy a Vista you need to upgrade your PC. Main problem: I don't need to upgrade unless I see a lot of games which need more requirements but as my XP eats less resources its much better to play games there.

Well, they have released the Vista-SP1 beta for a number of selected users. So, it looks like they're working on trying to get rid of all the bugs.

But i don't get why you would want to run games on DX10.. .it just makes the games MORE laggy... like an average users PC would NOT be able to run a DX-10 enabled game on vista. Eg; an 8800GTx would be most advised to play games on DX10 .. even then, there isn't really any difference between DX9 and DX10 except for the different special effects (ie, the dusts particles don't go to through the wall.. essentially the material maps for the games.)

here's a youtube video of the difference in DX9 and DX10 bioshock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4ERL3ciC0&mode=related&search=

DX10 looks way nicer, , but you need a higher-end computer to run it smoothly.'

Oh and b tw, SasukeX; you WILL need an upgrade in order to play future generation games (Crysis, etc).

:/