"Animal Cruelty" and your views on it..

Ray Ray

What I find cruel to animals is:

-animal abuse

-slaughter houses/factory farming

-fur farming

-animal testing

Now, for a little while I was looking up things about animal cruelty online, and for some stuff I have found, I was rather appauled. I have watched videos on PETA (now listen, I am not a supporter of PETA because some stuff they have done has pissed me off. I'm saying they stand for a good cause, they have just done some pretty stupid stuff, but they have done a good job with uncovering abusive places) and the videos just shocked me. I wanted to explain what I find is wrong with the following categories above and see what everyone thinks about it. (=

Animal Abuse

Well this one pretty much speaks for itself. On the topic of animal abuse, I find it completely unnecisarry. Why would you starve and beat an animal? There is really no need to hurt the creatures, especially when they have done nothing to hurt us. Animals housed anywhere, in slaughter houses, factory farms, universities, etc should get proper care, good housing, proper food and hygene. They should not be mistreated in anyway.

Slaughter Houses/Factory Farming

Now I know this is the one that may have the most argueing, next to animal testing. Everyone eats meat, I know but I find the way animals are treated in these places horrible. Animals are hung by their hind legs and get their throats slit while still alive. Is that honeestly a necisarry way to kill an animal? They are often cramped in small places from birth until death without even seeing daylight even once. The USA allows cows with oozing, disgusting wounds to be made into meat, so wounds are gone untreated. Also there is a law saying that wine, sheep, cattle, and horses be stunned unconscious with just one application of a stunning device by a trained person before being shackled and hoisted up on the line, but chickens are exepmt from this act. Why? I don't know.

Now don't make fun of me but I have actually stopped eating beef, fried chicken, and fish. Yes, fish is meat too, get over it. It's a living animal.

Fur Farming

I find fur farming totally unnecciassry. Wearing fur is ugly to me. It was given to the animal, let them keep it. We can make our own clothing out of cotton, we don't need to be wearing a raccoon, it looks better on them.

Also I was watching a video from a Chinese Fur Farm, and the animals were skinned alive. It actually had footage of the racoon laying in a pile of other skinned ones. It was trying to move, it could blink it's eyes and all it was was muscle, bone, and blood. The scene of it horrifed me.

If you can take looking at the images, go right ahead.

WORD OF WARNING: IT IS VERY DISTURBING

http://usera.imagecave.com/rkanime/h/racoon.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/rkanime/h/racoon2.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/rkanime/h/racoon3.jpg

Animal Testing

Now this is the one everyone likes to dispute about. Why do I hate animal testing? Well...

A few questions...

Do we honestly have the right to breed and capture animals just for our benefit?

Would you sacrifice your friend/family or pets just to cure a disease you had?

Although some of the tests out there are for curing those diseases like cancer/AIDS/etc. while other are on the effects of smoking, cosmetics, and others that have already been tested. We already know smoking is bad so why are we still forcing dogs and primates to smoke? Why should we test beauty products on animals, honestly? If we want to wear makeup so much we have cell-based tissue models... so why are we still blinding rabbits?

I know a lot of you are saying "Well we need animal testing to help cure diseases and make new drugs".

Not necessarly. Millions of humans have been killed or defected because testing on animals brings faulty results. Their systems are different then ours, it's not accurate.

A perfect example of this is Thalidomide and I know a lot of you have heard of this drug. This caused over 10,000 children born with severe birth defects.

Animals live under harsh regulations in these labs, they are raised in small metal changes, never see the day/breath fresh air, and they sometimes spend up to 15 years in these places being tested on, living in fear and pain.

Humans and Animals

I would like to add one more thing.. I have noticed, while watching the television, during hurricanes, people are told to leave their pets behind to die! Does the govt. not know they live too?

Locked in cages, or tied to a chain. What really gets me is how happy the animals where to see help, but the people who recieved help could only say, "What took you so long!!" The animals wanted love before they took their first drink, the people wanted to complain about not getting supplies when they thought they should.

I know this but we still have human cruelty... in inferior countries people kill people. I've seen someone cut the head of a human because he was stealing him (video and true... this site is down for legal purposes now). And there was also a boy who got his hands and feets cut for the same reasons. It's DISGUSTING.

Same for animals. They must have rights. It's not right that the dominating species (humans) treat the others as they want. But probably most of the humans do not consider that.

what sasuke says is sad but true. Humans have a great deal of problems unfortunately, especially our desire for power and to flex those muscles. One example of animal cruelty I know personally is when my friend and I found a video how KFC treated their animals cruelly to make them fatter from the stress. I hardly eat there and he hasn't since. We humans are a sad race indeed.

• 3 months later...

I know, I hate how a lot of humans think that animals are just dumb and emotionless things just because they don't speak in words or build or write. I don't understand how people can live with themselves knowing that they tortured a fellow living being just for their own benefit. As for fur farming, why can't they just take the fur from the animals that they kill for meat like the Native Americans did when they hunted animals? No offense, but I personally like a bit of animal fur here and there, but I don't approve of people skinning them alive.

• 3 years later...

This is a real dim subject, animals will kill other animals without the understanding of "murder" and we do the same.

But to clarify what I mean is, animals just kill other animals sometimes, its sad but it happens, we on the other hand have a degree of severity to which we kill animals for. For sport and pleasure I think is wrong; for food, eh I can be persuaded.

Animal cruelty is really only a thing that I would consider bad if they arent killed. If someone keeps a dog alive to beat it and hurt it each day, that is animal cruelty. If someone kills a cow with a knife by cutting its throat, its not cruel! Its fact that the strong kills the weak. Cruelty is when the strong inflicts pain without killing the weak.

• 1 month later...
Animal cruelty is really only a thing that I would consider bad if they arent killed. If someone keeps a dog alive to beat it and hurt it each day, that is animal cruelty. If someone kills a cow with a knife by cutting its throat, its not cruel! Its fact that the strong kills the weak. Cruelty is when the strong inflicts pain without killing the weak.

I strongly believe this statement. I mean will have to be killed for food and no matter how gross it is to actually watch someone slit a cow's throat i mean in he end its for every1's elses benefit. Personally i can't be against animal testing. I mean if all it takes is a few testing on animals (even if they wind up dead) to come up with a cure for cancer or even HIV/AIDS i say go right ahead. Its not as if the entire species is gonna be sacrificed so even after they test subjects die (if it comes to that) at least their species will not be in danger of being extinct. However i believe the usage of animals to create any bodily wear is very wrong but at the same time doesn't most countries with a very cold climate uses animals to create clothing to counter the weather/climate? All in all i see the usage of animals for food, medical or any other beneficial purpose as a good thing as long as we don't go overboard

Animal testing really isnt so bad and i think most of the sensational stories you hear are greatly exaggerated. Animal testing facilities have very strict guidelines and the animals must be comfortable. You dont need to test something with a pH of 1.0 on an animal to know it will hurt, so they dont do it. But you do need to know whether or not a compound in soap meant to kill bacteria will also harm humans or cause cancer, etc. And thats more in line with what real toxicology studies are like.

I agree on some points of this, but not on others. Testing drugs meant for humans on animals is highly questionable. Even on animals with similar a physiology won't give completely accurate results. However.. I don't agree with testing them on humans either, unless it is those who have already given up their right to peaceful life by taking the life of another without just cause.

Fur farming. I agree that they should not be skinned while alive, but should be killed mercifully, and every part of the animal used. Use the meat for food. If you can't find a use for the bones then dispose of them properly, don't toss them out the window, use the skin or fur to make clothing. This was the way of things long before we made things from cloth, and this is the way things should be now. Too much waste going on.

• 4 months later...