looking for original anime sorta like Death Note

RikuoAmero

what I'm looking for is an anime with an original story, a deep story sorta like Death Note had. Pretty much every other anime I've seen is full of cliches and such, but Death Note was original, and blew me away. Note, I'm not looking for a copy of Death Note, but a story that was original in the same way that DN was.

you could give darker than black a shot as far as know, it wasn't really a copy of anything and was great to the point where you wished that some of the side characters were actually main characters.

I've just downloaded the first episode (going at 8499 kiloBYTES per second, love my internet!!!!^^), and well, the first few minutes definitely have my attention. Decent art, animation, and apparently if you have these powers you have to break your fingers...? One thing I can immediately tell just from the few minutes so I've watched that I DON'T like is the woman giving off too much exposition, too much information straight off, like the writers are in a hurry and don't have that many episodes (and yet I see that season 1 alone has 26 episodes)

Not to come off as some sort of Death Note fanboy, but the first episode of that showed Light losing hope in the world, Ryuk dropping the Death Note and Light finding it and seeing that it works. That's pretty much alll that happens for that twenty five minute episode, and it works because that's all that's needed.

Here in Darker than Black, in the first five minutes alone, I've learned its a modern-day city, a guy in a suit can fly (apparently from reversing gravity around himself), he's hunted because of these powers, these powers come at a cost of self-mutilation, a guy in a porcelain mask kills him, and then a cop? lady explains that there's a Berlin Wall v2.0 surrounding the city, beyond which nothing is known. Its too much information too fast, and its making me uncomfortable.

Other than that, though, it does have my attention. Do you know if there's an English dub? Kametsu doesn't have one. I'm staying at my best mate's this Xmas, and this is the sort of anime he'd enjoy, he introduced me to Death Note after all.

apparently if you have these powers you have to break your fingers...?

No, each person has something they must do as a result of their powers. I forgot what they call it, but it's different for each person. One may break their fingers, another may have to kiss someone, someone else may have to smoke, etc.. for example.

No, each person has something they must do as a result of their powers. I forgot what they call it, but it's different for each person. One may break their fingers, another may have to kiss someone, someone else may have to smoke, etc.. for example.

yeah thanks. I had literally only watched as far as the opening sequence when I wrote that, then afterward I see this guy, Jean, say he's a contractor and has to lay stones in an organized pattern on a table, why, well, even he doesn't know.

I do like this series, it's grabbed my attention and I actually want to know what happens next. I can forgive that little hiccup of literally shovelling too much information down my throat: that was one thing Death Note had right, among other things: Episode 1 introduced the titular object, Ryuk, Light and the moral dilemma of being judge, jury and executioner. It wasn't until episodes 2 and 3 that we were introduced to the second protagonist (for lack of a better word), L, and the fact that the series would be a detective story, with both characters having to investigate the other in order to kill him "I will hunt you down and eliminate you. I am...I am...JUSTICE!" pretty much sums up the direction the show is going to take.

Well..um glad you like it? hope you enjoy it as much as I have and honestly yes it does appear that they pretty much explain everything immediately but once you watch the entire series including season two and the OVA's you'll realize that despite how much you thought they told you, you really didn't know anything at all, the bit you actually do get to know in the series is just a small piece in an even bigger puzzle which apparently the character's themselves don't understand all that well, And yes there is a very well done english dub, I think Koby uploaded it if I'm not mistaken.

Guys, I've already seen Full Metal Alchemist, am planning to watch Brotherhood once the full series is dubbed, and as for Naruto?

When I mentioned I was looking for a series to watch, Naruto is not that series. Naruto is full of cliches, and has no plot, and is full of plot-holes. Death Note does have problems true, but Naruto...whenever I watch it or read the manga, I just feel like screaming and going on a massacre. Same with Bleach, great action sequences and character interactions, but...what the fuck happens if you die in the Soul Society? They're already dead! I just can't stop thinking about it!

I'm looking for a series that has a good story one that is coherent and thought out. If you do have a suggestion, please elaborate on your suggestion, just giving me a name alone doesn't help. No, I haven't seen Ergo Proxy or Last Exile, I don't know anything about them. Oh and in case someone does mention it, yes I have seen Ghost in the Shell/Evangelion/Akira.

have you tried watching One PIece?

it's better than Naruto and Bleach in the sense that it has far less fillers, makes much more sense, and whatever few fillers there are are actually good ones and you won't even be able to tell the difference between filler and main.

Hmmm...I dunno. According to Wikipedia, theres 480 episodes. Pretty much plot and story would have gotten stretched thinly by then. Its about searching for a pirate captain's treasure isn't it? I don't want to watch 480 episodes of the crew going "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Sigh, I guess I'll lay out in point format what I'm looking for.

Story: Coherent and well thought out.

Length: Not too long. The first FMA anime was what 50 episodes? That encompassed character exploration/development, and the actual plot. Yes this does mean I despise filler. In my opinion, if an anime has filler episodes, that means it nots thought out to begin with: the anime developers just didn't know where they were going with the show.

Fanservice: If it has it, its there. I'm not gonna complain if it is or isn't there.

Comedy: Would like a bit of comedy here and there. FMA (the first series) was perfect for that: I loved Ed going OTT about his short stature.

Maturity: If the anime can talk about mature topics openly, then great. And follow up on them (I'm thinking of Naruto here: Naruto hasn't thought once about Hinata's confession, nor has he gone up to Kakashi saying "Hey, remember you were the Fourth's student? Well, turns out, he's my pappa! WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN I WAS GROWING UP ALONE!")

Other than that, though, it does have my attention. Do you know if there's an English dub? Kametsu doesn't have one. I'm staying at my best mate's this Xmas, and this is the sort of anime he'd enjoy, he introduced me to Death Note after all.

Kametsu does have Darker Than Black in Dual Audio here:http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=3038

And I just finished watching it like 2 days ago: it was awesome