What first got you sucked into anime and mangas?

Vonnie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like many have mentioned, I would say it was Dragon Ball Z during the mid 90's.

Not only that, but also Yu-gi-oh! Duel Monsters - I have always thought to myself, why is this children's card game so exciting to me?

Then things started to unravel and found myself drawing closer to the darker area of the anime fan world.

Man like others said i was watching anime without realizing it. DBZ, Sailormoon, Escaflowne, Digimon, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh. I didn't. know that was anime. In school people used to make fun of the anime group becuz of their cosplay. So without looking it up i understood it as that weird. But then a year back a friend introduced me to fairytail. He called it anime after he described it as DBZ. From that day i was converted and have become a hardcore Otaku!

My first ever exposure to Anime was Laputa, years ago, I cant quite remember my age at the time, maybe 7 or 8 something like that. Anyway a tv station at the time was showing Castle in the sky in two parts, like a TV special. I was awestruck, captivated by it.

Of course I was to young to know about anime, who made it or pay attention to its name, but over the years the memory of watching it stuck with me. I tried for well over 10 years to find the film again, but with no name and only fond memories to go on, I didn't have any luck.

By now I was really getting into anime and was vaguely aware of Studio Ghibli films, so at a bargain store I found some old movies of theirs, bought them and went home. Picked one at random to watch, sat down, opening credits go by and there it was the movie I was looking for after all that time, I really cant describe how I felt when I realised that I had found it by chance, but watching it, I was like I was a kid again.

Its possibly my favourite movie, probably due in no small part too the fond memories of watching it back then and my 10 year plus quest to find it. I would call this my real introduction to anime, even if I was to young to know it at the time, it stuck with me.

Kind regard Rei