Final Fantasy XII, Boring?

Guest Ochu

Guest Ochu

A lot of my friends, along with myself, have found this title to be not as engaging as previous titles, and simply just quit halfway through. The last time I finished was in the tomb where you get your first summon.

Does anybody else find this? D: For me, it's just the lack of engagment, the battle system being so simplified (to me at least), and the formalness of it all.

O_<

I found the story more interesting as it was more political and war involved, and not the usual love and save the world things. It was a different approach and I applaud Matsuno for it. The battle system was more fast paced and not that shitty ATB system, which I loathe. Also, what do you mean by formalness, if you don't mind my asking?

And also, just a tip. Before you judge a game, finish it first. I find many people to just simply hate a game at first, but after playing through it, they end up loving it, sometimes it ends up as their favourite game. Sometimes people will play through a game and hate it, but on a second playthrough, notice more things about the story and/or gameplay they didn't notice before and they'll begin to love. It also says more about you than the game if you comment negatively before completing it, especially considering how early on you are. But, we're all entitled to our opinions I suppose.

Guest Ochu
I found the story more interesting as it was more political and war involved, and not the usual love and save the world things. It was a different approach and I applaud Matsuno for it. The battle system was more fast paced and not that shitty ATB system, which I loathe.

You see, a game centered around war and lacking a ATB system is not a 'Final Fantasy' to me and is more of a dungeon crawler or other game. It was that those stereotypes that I thought made a good FF. There seemed to be less adventure then previous titles.

Also, what do you mean by formalness, if you don't mind my asking?

The lack of engagement with the characters, the formal language that was commonly used, a lot of storyline including politics and civil 'drama' (for lack of a better term) that I found personally hard to get involved, or interested in.

Before you judge a game, finish it first. I find many people to just simply hate a game at first, but after playing through it,

I am far from saying I hate it by ALL means, lol, but I did find a lack of encouragement and motivation to carry on that I did gain with previous titles. I dunno, maybe it is because I prefer a more lax titles like Final Fantasy IX and VII (which are my favourite). Maybe XII is just a new advancement in the elements of a Final Fantasy game. I mean from what I have seen of XIII and it's spinoffs, it too seems to have a darker theme. Although involving more magic, which again I thought was one of the things Final Fantasy could produce so effectively (unlike Advent Children.. D:)

It also says more about you than the game if you comment negatively before completing it, especially considering how early on you are.

Again, there are things about it I do enjoy about it. For example the character development. It's just, for a game I paid money for, it isn't delivering what I thought would be an experience I could continue and enjoy right from New Game.

Well fair enough. I find many people are finding it hard to accept the changes FFXII offers, because many are drastic, especially for a numerical version.

a lot of storyline including politics and civil 'drama' (for lack of a better term) that I found personally hard to get involved, or interested in.

Tactics was centered around politics as well (also created by Matsuno). It's looked at as one of the greatest FF games there are. Are you saying you don't like FTT? :'(

And to be fair, Final Fantasy XII still had wait times when you execute an action, there were just no random battles and load times. The monsters were in the environment around you, and you were able to see them and avoid them (unless they spot you.)

Well, we all have our own opinions as to whats a Final Fantasy and what isn't. So long as the Final Fantasy series holds a somewhat 'Fantasy' theme (magic at least) and still wait times in the battle system, I'll look at it as a Final Fantasy. Just as long as they don't turn it into Kingdom Hearts (real time battling). Final Fantasy XII still held a fantasy theme with a bit of a twist of politics (Final Fantasy Tactics) and warring nations (Final Fantasy IX), which are elements of the two most respected Final Fantasy titles there are, also created by Matsuno which is a very respected developer. It's understandable that big fans of the older games will find it hard to accept these changes, but they really should look past the "omg theres no sefiros or sorceress!!1!1" and see that these new changes are just damn awesome. If we had another FF centered around love and saving the world, well, I probably wouldn't have bought FF12 if it was like that.

Guest Ochu

You bring up a good point I suppose, the whole theme of love and sorcery that used to be the main themes in FF titles, I guess it should be a time for Final Fantasy to somewhat evolve and mature in a way.

Unfortunately, I have never played FFT, only FFTA which I found lacked too much storyline and was just a TBS.

I suppose I just do value the old ways of the ATB, Fantasy and Magic and relationships between charecters being established early.

FFT and FFTA are two completely different games. I suggest you try FFT out. It's a great tactical RPG.

I suppose I just do value the old ways of the ATB, Fantasy and Magic and relationships between charecters being established early.

Valid. I see why many still favour the 'traditional' ways of FF, I'm just trying to be open minded and accept the changes with FFXII. I guess it all comes down to a matter of opinion.

I really disliked it at first mainly due to the slow battle system in which you had to run around forever before he would attack. But once you get further into the game it became loads of fun and I really enjoyed it. It's probably one of my favorite in the series now. I only wish it had a new game + option.

• 3 weeks later...

I <3 FFXII because of the non-random battles. i mean. be honest.

they were ANNOYING!!

you'd be runnig around trying to get to a save point and then .. BUM BUM BUMMM .... U encounter an enemy which halts your progress. and if its a tough enemy, u could die.

Another thing that i liked about FFXII is the lack of money. you didn't have much money to go around spending a lot of weapons/armour so you had to save it.

also, as for the ATB syste in the old ff games, Square enix should be moving on. if they kept on doing that same system, they'd be left behind and it gets repetitive.

So S-E just had to come up with an innovative battle system to entice old, current and new players of the FF brand to play it.

and i perosnally like the new system. much more fun and freedom then the other systems.

Guest Ochu
I <3 FFXII because of the non-random battles. i mean. be honest.

they were ANNOYING!!

you'd be runnig around trying to get to a save point and then .. BUM BUM BUMMM .... U encounter an enemy which halts your progress. and if its a tough enemy, u could die.

lol @@; I'm the total opposite. I find it boring to go from A to B with only a few meager sidetrips such as enemies. I'd much prefer an escape into a set battle screen.

• 1 month later...
A lot of my friends, along with myself, have found this title to be not as engaging as previous titles, and simply just quit halfway through. The last time I finished was in the tomb where you get your first summon.

Does anybody else find this? D: For me, it's just the lack of engagment, the battle system being so simplified (to me at least), and the formalness of it all.

O_<

I gave up at half of the game aswell. We all grew with the involving romance stories from Final Fantasy VII, VIII, then IX, and then X. Since Square-Enix took control, the Final Fantasy games, not including Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which is my second favorite, pretty much suck in terms of story. They seem to be pulling ot all the stops towards the visual term. Too bad most RPG gamers are too obsessed with graphics to realise how much this game...sucks. Seriously.

I didn't find it boring.

I don't mourn the lack of a developed love story--I don't think it needs to be present in order to make it a good game or to make it more FF-y. I don't miss the random battles. It's not the best game ever, but I don't hate it.

It doesn't feel as repetitive as the more traditional, turn-based, random encounters deal and there are plenty of side quests. The battle system was interesting and a little more involved than turn-based. You still have to set up the gambits correctly before you could walk away and do other things, and some gambit set-ups are better than others depending on the situation.

I do agree that there is a trend towards favouring graphics over all else, but eh.

I don't mourn the lack of a developed love story--I don't think it needs to be present in order to make it a good game or to make it more FF-y.

You're wrong.

Remember a quote from our very dear old Hironobu?

"I don't have what it takes to make action games - I preffer to tell stories."

The story IS the Final Fantasy. No good story, no Final Fantasy.

I found the game somewhat dull compared to some of the last titles. I think it was because I just wasnt into the main character and the battle system was ok but I really like the way FFVII through FFX's battle system is. Where it takes you to another screen(aka battlefield layout) and the party is lined up against the fiends. The political story line was different but just not for me, I think its because im so used to having more of a epic storyline in the FF's.

But, I did have fun playing, maxed out all my characters and really got into it, it just took some time for me to draw to it.

I liked the battle system and the political story... but I felt the characters really had no attachment to one another. This doesn't necessarily mean love - look at FFX. Tidus had a lot of interaction with other characters besides Yuna, for example. FFT had a lot of character interaction also. FF12 just didn't have that. I know they didn't know each other before, but after going through life threatening situations and such, they should have had some sort of friendship... it felt like their relationships didn't change at all throughout the story. They started out as strangers to one another and ended the same way.

I liked the battle system and the political story... but I felt the characters really had no attachment to one another. This doesn't necessarily mean love - look at FFX. Tidus had a lot of interaction with other characters besides Yuna, for example. FFT had a lot of character interaction also. FF12 just didn't have that. I know they didn't know each other before, but after going through life threatening situations and such, they should have had some sort of friendship... it felt like their relationships didn't change at all throughout the story. They started out as strangers to one another and ended the same way.

Pretty much. Some people go for the graphics, some go for the battle system. I go for the story above all. Because at the end of the game, that's what you'll remember, really. You never really say: "Ah....what a nice battle system it had!" Yeah or "Wow...I never expected such fine graphics after I spent hours of playing the same game!". You probably say: "I loved the ending...I wonder what's gonna happen to "Main Character" after this..."

Yup. I love flashy graphics and good stories, but I think characters' development and their relationships are most important (why the lack of both stood out for me in the game). You could have a cliched, simple story and have real interesting characters that people can relate to... that makes the game memorable.