New Game: What's the Word?

DarkRavie

What's the Word? - ACROLOGICAL

pronunciation: [AK-rə-LAH-dji-kəl]

Part of speech: adjective

Origin:  French, early 19th century

Meaning

1. Relating to or based on initial letters or sounds.

Example:

"My daughter wrote an acrological poem of the word 'Mother' for my wife's birthday."

"The ordering isn't alphabetical, but it is acrological."

About Acrological

If something is alphabetical, then it must be acrological. But everything acrological is not always alphabetical. Acrological means concerning the first letter or sound, and alphabetical means the first letters are arranged in a very specific order.

Did you Know?

An acronym is pronounced as a word — NASA, SCUBA, SWAT — but what you call acronyms are usually initialisms. These acrological abbreviations are pronounced by saying the letters individually. DNA, IRS, DKNY — all acrological initialisms.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - TRICHROMATIC

pronunciation: [tri-kro-MAD-ik]

Origin:  Greek, early 17th century

Meaning

1. Having or using three colors.

2. Having normal color vision, which is sensitive to all three primary colors.

Example:

"Have you noticed that most flags are trichromatic?"

"My brother is colorblind, but I'm lucky to be trichromatic."

About Trichromatic

What's black, white, and red all over? A newspaper! This punny joke is also trichromatic — that is, using three colors. "Chromatic" comes from the Greek "khrōma," meaning color.

Did you Know?

Most humans have trichromatic vision. There are three types of cone cells in the eye, which interpret different colors. These three colors are then transmitted to the brain to produce the vast array of colors you see. People with colorblindness cannot see one or more of these three colors.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - LOGOMACHY

pronunciation: [lo-GAH-me-kee]

Part of speech: noun

Origin:  Greek, mid-16th century

Meaning

1. An argument about words.

Example:

"A logomachy might seem silly, but it's important to get your message across."

"We had a bit of a logomachy over what our new team slogan should be."

About Logomachy

Of course Greek philosophers would have a word to describe an argument about words. In Greek, "logomakhia" means word (logo) fighting (makhia).

Did you Know?

The Gershwin brothers' song "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" is a perfect musical logomachy. The song is most famous for the line "You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to" and other British versus American accent differences.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - ANON

pronunciation: [ə-NAHN]

Part of speech: adverb

Origin:  Old English, pre-12th century

Meaning: 

1. Soon.

2. Shortly.

Example:

"Don't worry — I'll see you anon."

"I'll explain everything anon."

About Anon

Instead of promising that you'll do the dishes soon, pacify your partner with "anon." This Old English adverb means "soon" or "shortly." It's a fancy word to mask your procrastination.

Did you Know?

In Old English, "on ān" meant "into one," and the original meaning was about something in one state or course of action. Over time the meaning of "anon" evolved into the temporal sense of "at once."

• Like 1

What's the Word? - GADZOOKS

pronunciation: [gad-ZOOKS]

Part of speech: exclamation

Origin:  English, late 17th century

Meaning

1. An exclamation of surprise or annoyance.

Example:

"Gadzooks! This coffee is hot!"

"I was just walking down the street, and gadzooks, it starting pouring!"

About Gadzooks

Gadzooks is an exclamation (sometimes known as an interjection). This part of speech is a word or short phrase that can stand on its own, grammatically. It's used to insert surprise, excitement, or even pain and sadness. Anything that packs a punch — like the "pows!" and "bams!" of the old Batman cartoons.

Did you Know?

In the same family as "cheers," "good grief," "hooray," "kaboom," and "yabba dabba doo," "gadzooks" has a more religious origin story. It's an alteration of "God's hooks," i.e. the nails that held Jesus to the cross. Just like invoking a holy figure in your swears, "gadzooks" fits a similar purpose.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - FAIN

pronunciation: [feyn]

Origin:  Old English, pre-12th century

Meaning

1. Pleased or willing under the circumstances.

2. Compelled by the circumstances; obliged.

Example:

"I was fain to continue with the online book club."

"He was fain to answer the questions or risk a failing grade."

About Fain

If doing something wasn't your idea, but you're happy to do it, the adjective for that is "fain." There's usually some kind of extenuating circumstances surrounding the activity, but you'll get the job done any way.

Did you Know?

Fain is an Old English word that doesn't have a lot of modern context, but it is related to the verb "fawn." They both come from the Germanic word "fægen," meaing to be happy or pleased. Today "fawn" is obsequious adoration, while fain describes a willingness or obligation.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - MAUNDER

pronunciation: [MAWN-dər]

Part of speech: verb

Origin:  Unknown, early 17th century

Meaning

1. Talk in a rambling manner.

2. Move or act in a dreamy or idle manner.

Example:

"Don't get him started on his favorite movies, or he will maunder forever."

"The blooming trees inspired me to maunder all afternoon in the garden."

About Maunder

They're not etymologically related, but maunder and meander have similar spellings and meanings. To meander means to wander at random, and maunder means to speak in a rambling way.

Did you Know?

Sometimes a word doesn't have a traceable origin. It had to come from somewhere, but we just can't pin it down. Maunder is such a word. There used to be a word, maunder, that meant to beg, but that definition dropped away. Today's maunder concerns how you speak or move about.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - BEADLE

pronunciation: [BEE-dl]

Origin:  Old English, 16th century

Meaning

1. A ceremonial officer of a church, college, or similar institution.

2. A minor parish officer dealing with petty offenders.

Example:

"The award will be presented by the beadle."

"As beadle, he was responsible for enforcing the parking regulations in the small town."

About Beadle

There are a few different definitions of beadle, but they're all an officer of some sort. A beadle might be an officer of the church or learning institution, in a ceremonial sense. In Scotland, the beadle assists the minister. And if you're in a small town, the beadle is in charge of enforcing minor legal offenses.

Did you Know?

The spelling of this word has been altered over the years. In Old English, a "bydel" was a person making a proclamation. As it shifted to mean an officer of the church, the spelling changed to "bedel" (from Old French influences). Some universities with ceremonial practices still spell it "bedel," but for the most part, "beadle" is the preferred modern spelling.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - ENDOGENOUS

pronunciation: [en-DAH-jən-əs]

Origin:  Latin, 19th century

Meaning

1. Having an internal cause or origin.

2. Confined within a group or society.

Example:

"The endogenous variables are unable to be changed."

"The values of diversity, respect, and compassion are endogenous to this company."

About Endogenous

Endogenous and exogenous are often used as points of contrast. "Endo" means inside and "exo" means outside. Paired with "genous," producing or originating in, you have the words that describe if something has an internal (endogenous) or external (exogenous) cause.

Did you Know?

Endogenous is a term most often used in biology to describe something with an internal cause or origin. If used in a social sciences capacity, it means a trait found within a certain group or society.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - KISSOGRAM

pronunciation: [KISS-ə-ɡram]

Origin: Unknown

Meaning

1. A novelty greeting or message delivered by a person who accompanies it with a kiss, arranged as a humorous surprise for the recipient.

Example:

"I pretend to be embarrassed, but I love the kissogram my wife sends every year on my birthday."

"The whole office stopped and cheered when the kissogram was delivered."

About Kissogram

Yes, the kissogram is a real thing. A messenger would deliver a kiss to your sweetheart, along with a song or humorous message. These days, you might be better off sending your love a bouquet of flowers.

Did you Know?

Fans of the "Doctor Who" TV series will know what a kissogram is. Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan, has a job as a kissogram before she becomes the Doctor's companion. He mistakes her for a police officer, but she reveals her uniform is because she's a kissogram.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - APIARY

pronunciation: [AY-ee-er-ee]

Origin: Latin, 17th century

Meaning

1. A place where bees are kept.

2. A collection of beehives.

Example:

"The apiary was less than a mile away from a rose garden, which gave the honey a floral aroma."

"It takes a full day to inspect and maintain my apiary."

About Apiary

An apiary can be as simple as a box in your backyard, although beekeeping is not simple. Anywhere that bees are kept, or a collection of hives, can be called an apiary. It comes from the Latin word for bee, "apis." In the 17th century it was called an apiarium, but today it's just apiary.

Did you Know?

A professional beekeeper might call their collection of hives an apiary. But apiary is just a fancier word for a place where bees live.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - CARTOMANCY

pronunciation: [KAR-də-man-see]

Origin: French, late 19th century

Meaning

1. Fortune telling by interpreting a random selection of playing cards.

Example:

"I was skeptical of any predictions produced by cartomancy."

"She ran a shop that sold herbs and candles, but her specialty was cartomancy."

About Cartomancy

A fortune teller practices cartomancy when they promise to tell your fortune with a deck of cards. It might be a tarot deck, or a deck of playing cards, but it's up to you whether you believe it or not.

Did you Know?

If you want to practice cartomancy, you need a deck of cards. A standard deck of playing cards includes the suits of clubs, diamonds, spades, and hearts. If you're holding a tarot deck, there will be wands, cups, swords, and coins. Choose your cards wisely.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - HELICOID

pronunciation: [HEL-ə-koyd]

Origin: Greek, late 17th century

Meaning

1. An object of spiral or helical shape

2. A surface formed by simultaneously moving a straight line along an axis and rotating it around it (like a screw thread).

Example:

"The helicoid staircase was the focal point of the ballroom."

"I always got the helicoid measurements wrong on my geometry homework."

About Helicoid

The thread on a screw is a perfect example of a helicoid. It's a shape formed by moving a straight line along an axis as it turns. You can find manmade helicoid structures like a spiral staircase, or you can find many examples of helicoids in the natural world.

Did you Know?

Visit the Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan and you will find yourself inside a helicoid. The works of art are on display in galleries that shoot off a massive spiral-shaped ramp. You can view the helicoid from either the inside or outside of the Guggenheim.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - CONFABULATE

pronunciation: [kən-FAB-yə-leyt]

Part of speech: verb

Origin: Latin, early 17th century

Meaning

1. Engage in conversation; talk.

2. (Psychiatry) Fabricate imaginary experiences as compensation for loss of memory.

Example:

"Come sit with me, and let's confabulate!"

"He might confabulate when he can't remember something, but that shouldn't be a lasting side effect."

About Confabulate

Confabulate is a formal term for an everyday activity — chitchat. If you want to describe a serious discussion, or maybe a business negotiation, "confabulate" is an appropriately distinguished term.

Did you Know?

In Latin, "fabula" is a fable and "con" is a prefix meaning come together. The psychiatric context of "confabulate" is closer to this original meaning. A person suffering memory loss may make up stories, or fables, to compensate for the gaps.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - MICROCLIMATE

pronunciation: [MY-kro-kli-mət]

Origin: International Scientific Vocabulary, 1918

Meaning

1. The climate of a very small or restricted area, especially when this differs from the climate of the surrounding area.

Example:

"My microclimate gets plenty of sun in the afternoon, even when it's raining just a few streets over."

"The waterfall produces a very lush microclimate full of vegetation."

About Microclimate

It's a pretty self-explanatory term — microclimate means the weather in a small area. These mini weather patterns exist because of both manmade and natural influences that change the wind, precipitation, or other weather elements.

Did you Know?

Due to the steep changes in elevation and the effects of the San Francisco Bay and Pacific Ocean, the weather of San Francisco can be changeable. When it's sunny in one neighborhood, it may be cold and foggy less than one mile away. The locals have even nicknamed the thick fog that rolls across the city Karl, a reference to the giant some were afraid of in the movie "Big Fish."

• Like 1

What's the Word? - ORGANZA

pronunciation: [or-GAN-zə]

Origin: French, early 19th century

Meaning

1. A thin, stiff, transparent fabric made of silk or a synthetic yarn.

Example:

"I need to buy four yards of organza to make my daughter's prom dress."

"The thrift store was overflowing with organza dresses."

About Organza

This fashionable term comes from French, naturellement. In the late 16th century, English adopted "organza" to describe the stiff, transparent, silk fabric that was used to make elaborate ballgowns.

Did you Know?

Today you're more likely to find organza made of a synthetic material, but the original fabric was made of silk. Organzine is silk thread that is twisted together with each fiber in a contrary direction. Organzine is woven together to make organza. The methods for making the thread and fabric produce a fine, transparent, but still stiff, product.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - TECHNOMANIA

pronunciation: [TEK-no-MAYN-ee-ə]

Origin: Greek, 1940s

Meaning

1. Passionate enthusiasm for technology.

Example:

"Technomania takes over whenever Apple releases a new iPhone model."

"Maybe it's technomania, but I just love all the new smart home devices."

About Technomania

It's made of ancient components, but the word "technomania" is very modern. The Greek word "tekhnē" means art or craft, and the suffix "mania" implies a madness. In the 1970s, the word "technomania" came to mean a passion for all of the newly developed technology.

Did you Know?

The modern evolution of technomania can perhaps be attributed to the launch of the iPhone in 2007. While personal computers and digital organizers like the Palm Pilot were around years before the iPhone, the Apple devices kicked off the era in which almost everyone has a smartphone in their pocket.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - GONZO

pronunciation: [GAHN-zoh]

Origin: Italian, 1970s

Meaning

1. Of or associated with journalistic writing of an exaggerated, subjective, and fictionalized style.

2. Bizarre or crazy.

Example:

"The long-time columnist was known for his gonzo writings."

"That mural down the street is just gonzo."

About Gonzo

In Spanish, "ganso" means goose or fool. In Italian, "gonzo" means foolish. There might be some pretty outrageous activities described, but "gonzo" was adopted into English to describe the wild, literary, stylized journalism popularized in the 1970s.

Did you Know?

Perhaps the most famous figure of gonzo journalism is Hunter S. Thompson. His book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream," was brought to the big screen in an adaptation featuring Johnny Depp. His work was often controversial, but it earned him a place in magazines including "Esquire," "Harper's," and "Rolling Stone."

• Like 1

What's the Word? - HAVEN

pronunciation: [HAY-vən]

Origin: Old English, pre-12th century

Meaning

1. A place of safety or refuge.

2. An inlet providing shelter for ships or boats; a harbor or small port.

Example:

"I know that I will always have a haven at my grandmother's house."

"We need to reach the haven before the storm hits."

About Haven

The original Old Norse meaning applied to a harbor or small port where boats would be safe. This feeling of security meant that "haven" was used to describe any sort of safe place or sanctuary,

Did you Know?

When an English word doesn't have Latin or Greek roots, we can usually trace it to Anglo-Saxon origins. In Old Norse, we have "hǫfn" and in Late Old English, it is "hæfen." The feeling of safety and security is the same in English and Dutch with "haven," and in German, "Hafen" means harbor.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - CHAMBRAY

pronunciation: [SHAM-brey]

Origin: American English, early 19th century

Meaning

1. A linen-finished gingham cloth with a white weft and a colored warp, producing a mottled appearance.

Example:

"He wore a blue chambray shirt with pearl snap buttons."

"Chambray will be making a comeback in stores this fall."

About Chambray

Chambray is a specific type of fabric woven with a white weft and colored warp. If you're not a weaver this might not mean much, but it produces a slightly mottled colored fabric.

Did you Know?

Fans of the "Canadian Tuxedo" will have a bit of chambray in their closet. Most modern chambray is a lightweight verson of denim, and will complete an all-blue jeans ensemble quite nicely.

• Like 1