New Game: What's the Word?

DarkRavie

What's the Word? - PINOCHLE

pronunciation: [PEE-nək-əl]

Part of speech: noun

Origin:  Unknown, mid-19th century

Meaning

1. A card game for two or more players using a 48-card deck consisting of two of each card from nine to ace, the object being to score points for various combinations and to win tricks.

2. The combination of queen of spades and jack of diamonds in this game.

Example:

"Let's get a group together to play some pinochle this weekend." 
"I held back a smile as I looked at the double pinochle in my hands."

About Pinochle

Pinochle is a noun for a card game played with a special double deck. Within the game, you can also hold a combination of cards called a pinochle — the queen of spades and jack of diamonds. Gather both, and you have a double pinochle.

Did you know?

A French deck of cards contains trèfles (clubs), carreaux (diamonds), cœurs (hearts), and piques (spades). There are three face cards — the valet (jack), the dame (queen), and the roi (king). A standard deck contains 52 cards, but depending on the game, you might drop certain numbers, bringing the deck down by 4s. Pinochle is played with a 48-card deck, containing two of each card from nine to ace.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - EDIFICE

pronunciation: [ED-ə-fəs]

Origin:  Latin, 14th century

Meaning

1. A building, especially a large, imposing one.

2. A complex system of beliefs.

Example:

"The edifice at the center of campus contained the business school classes." 
"The first task of the new government was to establish a constitutional edifice."

About Edifice

An imposing word comes with imposing roots. In Latin, "aedis" means dwelling and "facere" means to make. The first definition keeps the idea of building construction, but sense number two is more figurative. An edifice is built of a complex set of beliefs.

Did you know?

The largest edifice in the United States is the Boeing factory in Everett, Washington. This facility was built in the 1960s for the manufacturing of the 747. The edifice is still used for the construction of some of the Boeing company's largest aircrafts.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - RIPPER

pronunciation: [RIP-ər]

Origin:  Unknown, mid-19th century

Meaning

1. (Australian) A thing that is particularly admirable or excellent.

2. A tool that is used to tear or break something.

Example:

"Look at that ripper riding the waves!" 
"I need a seam ripper to fix these stitches.

About Ripper

There's the cheeky bit of slang, but ripper can also be quite practical. It's a tool used to rip, break, or tear something. Any good sewer will have a seam ripper in their kit.

Did you know?

As a bit of Australian English slang, ripper means someone particularly skilled, perhaps in surfing. Other words of "strine" — Australian slang — include mate, no worries, arvo, and fair dinkum.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - FINITE

pronunciation: [FAHY-nahyt]

Part of speech: adjective

Origin:  Latin, 15th century

Meaning

1. Having limits or bounds.

2. (of a verb form) having a specific tense, number, and person.

Example:

"'We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.' ― Martin Luther King Jr." 
"Use finite verbs in order to avoid any confusion."

About Finite

Buzz Lightyear exclaims, "To infinity and beyond!" The opposite of this unlimitless prospect is finite. There's a clear and defined end, which isn't a bad thing, unless you're a toy astronaut.

Did you know?

In a grammatical sense, finite verbs give information about the subject. They can inflect the gender, person, number, tense, aspect, mood, and voice of the subject. You're probably most familiar with changing the tense (present, past, future) and person (I, you, it, they) of finite verbs.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - MUGGLE

pronunciation: [MUH-ɡəl]

Origin: British English, 1990s

Meaning

1. A person who is not conversant with a particular activity or skill.

Example:

"We joked that my dad was a muggle in the kitchen because everything turned out burnt." 
"I'm quite a muggle when it comes to any sport."

About Muggle

It's a silly little word created by J.K. Rowling in the Harry Potter series. Muggle simply means someone without magical skill. It proved to be so useful that it was added to the dictionary to describe someone without skill, not restricted to the wizarding world.

Did you Know?

For a relatively recent addition to the world of literary classics ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" was published in 1997), the vocabulary of Hogwarts has been quickly adopted. In addition to muggle, you're likely to hear wizarding lingo such as Quidditch, Voldemort, galleon, and patronus cast about like spells.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - DADA

pronunciation: [DAH-dah]

Origin: French, 1916

Meaning

1. An early-20th-century international movement in art, literature, music, and film, repudiating and mocking artistic and social conventions and emphasizing the illogical and absurd.

Example:

"I didn't understand Dada art until I visited the Marcel Duchamp exhibition." 
"The Italian film festival had many Dada-inspired entries."

About Dada

As an artistic movement, Dada, or Dadaism, took off in the early 1920s in Paris. This appreciation of nonsense, chaos, and the absurd is thought to be a backlash against the effects of World War 1 and a capitalist society. As technology was advancing, Dada spanned across artistic mediums.

Did you Know?

The word "dada" can be found in many languages and cultures to refer to a father. It transcends language barriers perhaps because "da" is one of the first and easiest sounds for a baby to make.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DarkRavie said:

What's the Word? - DADA

pronunciation: [DAH-dah]

Origin: French, 1916

Meaning

1. An early-20th-century international movement in art, literature, music, and film, repudiating and mocking artistic and social conventions and emphasizing the illogical and absurd.

Example:

"I didn't understand Dada art until I visited the Marcel Duchamp exhibition." 
"The Italian film festival had many Dada-inspired entries."

About Dada

As an artistic movement, Dada, or Dadaism, took off in the early 1920s in Paris. This appreciation of nonsense, chaos, and the absurd is thought to be a backlash against the effects of World War 1 and a capitalist society. As technology was advancing, Dada spanned across artistic mediums.

Did you Know?

The word "dada" can be found in many languages and cultures to refer to a father. It transcends language barriers perhaps because "da" is one of the first and easiest sounds for a baby to make.

Lol... this is funny... in my native language, Dada is the word used for a paternal grandfather! 🤭

• Like 1

What's the Word? - MIRTH

pronunciation: [mərTH]

Origin: Old English, pre-12th century

Meaning

1. Amusement, especially as expressed in laughter.

Example:

"'With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.' ― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice" 
"The silly cartoons inspired chuckles of mirth from the kids."

About Mirth

The noun "mirth" comes from the Old English word "myrgth," which is of Germanic origin. The original meaning is related to the adjective "merry," meaning cheerful and lively. Use mirth when you're so amused that you just can't control your laughter.

Did you Know?

Look up "mirth" in the dictionary, and you'll also find an entry for "mirthquake." This punny portmanteau means "an extremely funny play, film, or other entertainment" — essentially something that inspires the body-shaking chuckles of mirth.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - NEOPHYTE

pronunciation: [NEE-ə-fahyt]

Origin: Greek, 14th century

Meaning

1. A person who is new to a subject, skill, or belief.

2. A new convert to a religion.

Example:

"This week I'm training a neophyte to take over when I retire." 
"The ceremony introduced the neophyte to our congregation."

About Neophyte

Originally a Greek word ("neophutos") meaning "newly planted," this term was used to describe a newly ordained priest. The modern usage relates to anyone who is new to a belief or a skill.

Did you Know?

The origins of "neophyte" are biblical. St. Paul used it in 1 Timothy 3:6 to describe a new convert. In the King James version of the Bible, "neophyte" has been translated into "novice." "Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil."

• Like 1

What's the Word? - MAGNILOQUENT

pronunciation: [mag-NIL-ə-kwənt]

Origin: Latin, mid-17th century

Meaning

1. Using high-flown or bombastic language.

Example:

"His speech was so magniloquent the audience was held in rapt attention." 
"You might admire magniloquent language, but sometimes plain speaking is best."

About Magniloquent

In Latin, "magniloquus" combined "magnus" for great and "loquus" meaning speaking. Instead of telling someone "good job at the speaking thing," you can praise them for their magniloquent oratory.

Did you Know?

There are a few words that have expanded upon "eloquent" — meaning "fluent or persuasive in speaking or writing." There's "breviloquent," speaking with brevity, "grandiloquent," pompous in language and delivery, and then "magniloquent," which means using high-flown and fancy language.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - ZEN

pronunciation: [zen]

Origin: Japanese, 12th century

Meaning

1. A Japanese school of Mahayana Buddhism emphasizing the value of meditation and intuition.

Example:

"'I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats.' ― Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment" 
"I admire the Zen philosophies and have tried to adapt those principles into my meditation practice."

About Zen

As a proper noun, Zen refers to a specific sect of Buddhism that focuses on meditation and intuition. But when used as an adjective, "zen" simply means peaceful and calm — attributes one might find through practicing Zen Buddhism.

Did you Know?

The full name is "Zen Buddhism," but "Zen" is used to refer to the specific Japanese school of Mahayana Buddhism. It was introduced to Japan from China in the 12th century. Principles focus on achieving enlightenment through meditation, which is called "zazen."

• Like 1

What's the Word? - CEASELESSLY

pronunciation: [SEES-ləs-lee]

Part of speech: adverb

Origin: Latin, late 16th century

Meaning

1. Continuously and without end.

Example:

"'And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.' —The Great Gatsby" 
"If you don't fix that screen door, the banging will continue ceaselessly."

About Ceaselessly

You might be familiar with the verb "cease," meaning "bring to an end." When you add "-less" that turns it into the adjective meaning "without end" and the further addition of "-ly" gives us the adverb "ceaselessly." This means something is done without end.

Did you Know?

F. Scott Fitzgerald used the word "ceaselessly" in last line of "The Great Gatsby." Just like fighting against the current of the waves, Nick observed that Gatsby's struggle to revive his love with Daisy signified how people are destined to repeat the past.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - GAB

pronunciation: [gab]

Part of speech: verb

Origin:  Late Middle English, 18th century

Meaning

1. Talk at length, typically about trivial matters.

Example:

"Come over for a cup of coffee and let's gab."

"If my mom starts to gab in the grocery store, we'll never make it home."

About Gab

This short and sweet word basically means to chit-chat. You might gab with your friends about everything, or nothing at all. It's just a casual chat.

Did you Know?

The original Late Middle English word "gab," meant to mock or tell lies. Pleasantly, the meaning has shifted to account for a casual sort of chat. You're not telling lies, you're just passing the time with a bit of gabbing.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - QUARK

pronunciation: [kwɑrk]

Origin:  German, 20th century

Meaning

1. Any of a number of subatomic particles carrying a fractional electric charge, postulated as building blocks of the hadrons.

2. A type of low-fat curd cheese.

Example:

"The physics professor's research was devoted to observations of the quark."

"I enjoy a bowl of quark and fresh fruit every morning for breakfast."

About Quark

There's a quark, which is a type of particle and a fundamental component of matter. Then there are the different types of quarks, or flavors, named up, down, bottom, top, strange, and charm. Who knew physicists were so poetic? Then, of course, there's the dairy product called quark, better known to Americans as cottage cheese.

Did you Know?

We won't give you a physics lesson, but we will discuss how quark particles got their name. Physicist Murray Gell-Mann knew that he wanted to pronounce his newly discovered particles as "kwark," but he settled upon the spelling after reading "Three quarks for Muster Mark!" in "Finnegans Wake" by James Joyce.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - CODEX

pronunciation: [KOH-deks]

Origin:  Latin, late 16th century

Meaning

1. An ancient manuscript text in book form.

2. An official list of medicines, chemicals, etc.

Example:

"The library had a prize collection of ancient books, including a codex that couldn't be found anywhere else."

"The codex will serve as an inventory for the storeroom."

About Codex

While a codex itself can be millenia old, the word comes from 16th-century Latin. It literally means "a block of wood," but it came to mean a block split into tablets for writing. Now it's used to refer to a very old manuscript, or possibly an official inventory of chemicals and medicines.

Did you Know?

Indiana Jones might treasure a codex. It's an ancient manuscript in book form, and any archaeologist would love to discover a new specimen. The Codex Sinaiticus, from the 4th century A.D., is the earliest known version of the Christian Bible.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - JARGOON

pronunciation: [jar-GOON]

Origin:  French, mid-18th century

Meaning

1. A translucent, colorless, or smoky gem variety of zircon

Example:

"I found the vintage jargoon brooch at my favorite antique store."

"Even though it's jargoon, it glitters like a diamond."

About Jargoon

You might occasionally see it spelled "jargon," but this isn't the in-the-know slang or business speak. Jargoon is a gemstone in the zircon family, but zircon can be found in a range of colors. When it is colorless, pale yellow, or slightly smoky, you can call it jargoon.

Did you Know?

The names might be similar, but a zircon gemstone is not the same as cubic zirconia. Zircon can be colorless (that's the jargoon), but it also ranges in color from blue to green, and even red.

Edited by DarkRavie
  • Like 1

What's the Word? - DAUNTLESS

pronunciation: [DAHNT-ləs]

Origin:  Latin, 15th century

Meaning

1. Showing fearlessness and determination.

Example:

"Ride that zipline and show that you're dauntless!"

"Finishing this job will require someone quite dauntless."

About Dauntless

If a new piece of technology intimidates you, you might be feeling daunted. Add a "-less" to that word, and now you're dauntless, or feeling brave and determined.

Did you Know?

If you're dauntless, you can't be tamed. The verb daunt can be traced back to the Latin "domare," meaning to tame. The adjectives daunted and dauntless can show off how you overcome obstacles and face your fear.

Edited by DarkRavie
  • Like 1

What's the Word? - STRINE

pronunciation: [strayn]

Origin:  Australian English, 1960s

Meaning

1. The English language as spoken by Australians.

2. The Australian accent.

Example:

"To American ears, Strine can sound like a foreign language."

"If you head down to the beach, you'll hear plenty of Strine from the surfers."

About Strine

It's all in the accent. Strine is a slangy term for Australian English, or just the accent. Say "strine" aloud and it will all make sense — even if you can't understand the accent.

Did you Know?

Strine can include bits of slang like "g'day, mate!" and "no worries!" but the term was created to describe the long stretches of words that run together in the Australian accent.

• Like 1

What's the Word? - GROK

pronunciation: [grahk]

Part of speech: verb

Origin:  American English, 1960s

Meaning

1. Understand (something) intuitively or by empathy.

2. Empathize or communicate sympathetically; establish a rapport.

Example:

"I haven't had children, but I grok what it must feel like to see your kids grow up."

"I have a difficult coworker, so I want to grok and get to know him better."

About Grok

Do you speak Martian? Now you do! Grok, meaning to intuitively or empathically understand, was first seen in Robert Heinlein's 1961 sci-fi novel, "Stranger in a Strange Land." This Martian word has many uses, but it describes a deep sense of knowing and understanding.

Did you Know?

Computer programmers have brought grok to life off of the pages of sci-fi novels. The "Jargon File," a dictionary of programmer slang describes, "When you claim to 'grok' some knowledge or technique, you are asserting that you have not merely learned it in a detached instrumental way but that it has become part of you, part of your identity."

Edited by DarkRavie
  • Like 1

What's the Word? - INEXHAUSTIBLE

pronunciation[in-ig-ZAHS-tə-bəl]

Origin:  Latin, early 17th century

Meaning

1. (of an amount or supply of something) unable to be used up because existing in abundance.

Example:

" 'Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic.' —Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

"It seems like there's an inexhaustible supply of treats in the pantry."

About Inexhaustible

Exhaust is a simple word meaning to use up resources entirely. When you add the prefix "in-," meaning not, and the suffix "-able," meaning able to be, you get inexhaustible — a never-ending supply of resources.

Did you Know?

Wind power is being explored as a possible inexhaustible source of energy. Sailboats have long harnessed the power of the wind, but massive fields of turbines are also doing it on land. There are more than 60,000 wind turbines operating in the United States.

• Like 1