Everything Nintendo Announced At E3 2019

Koby

As is tradition, Nintendo finished out the four-day marathon of E3 livestreams with its Direct presentation Tuesday morning. The big news? A full sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild. We also got updates on Luigi’s Mansion, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of smaller announcements, plus two exciting new Smash characters.

• The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is in development. We didn’t get more than a teaser trailer, but it showed Link and Zelda exploring a dungeon together, so let your mind wander as far as what that might mean.
  • Banjo-Kazooie and Dragon Quest’s Hero are the next two Smash Ultimate DLC fighters. Banjo and Kazooie are indeed coming to Smash this fall. Before that, this summer, will be The Hero, a single character that can represent the heroes from several different Dragon Quest games.
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizon for Switch has been delayed to March 20, 2020. Nintendo said it would reveal more information about Animal Crossing on its Treehouse Live livestreams, which run today through Thursday.
  • The Switch remake of Link’s Awakening will have a sort of custom-dungeon mode, and drops on September 20.
  • The crossover of Crypt of the NecroDancer and Legend of Zelda, titled Cadence of Hyrule, in which you fight through Hyrule to the beat of guitar-shreddin’ Zelda soundtrack remixes, will be out on June 13.
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 has couch co-op and an online mode. A second player will be able to join in the fun when Luigi’s Mansion hits Switch in 2019. They can play as “Gooigi,” a Luigi made of goo. Gooigi can walk on spikes and through obstacles, but will melt in water. You’ll also play as both Luigi and Gooigi in single-player, swapping between them to solve puzzles. The “ScareScraper” online coop mode lets you seek out Toads and take out ghosts with 8 players.
  • Daemon X Machina will be available on September 13, 2019.
  • No More Heroes 3 is in development, and will arrive in 2020.
  • The Pokéball Plus controller can be used with Pokémon Sword And Shield. It can’t be used as a controller in the game, but it'll let you take your Pokémon out into the world. “If you spend quality time with a favorite Pokémon, then something might happen,” said Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi.
  • Collection of Mana, a Switch retro collection that includes the first three games in the Mana series: Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy, Secret of Mana for the SNES, and the third game, now titled Trials of Mana for its English-language debut.
  • A 3D remake of Trials of Mana, in the vein of last year’s Secret of Mana remake, is heading to Switch in “early 2020.”
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition will hit Switch on September 27. It’s been “fall” for a while now, but now we have a date.
  • Witcher 3 is coming to Switch. It’s called the “Complete Edition” and will arrive this year.
  • Resident Evils 5 and 6 are coming to Switch. They’ll both be out this fall.
  • Contra: Rogue Corps is coming to Switch on September 24. It’ll have local and online multiplayer for four players. Also, the Contra anniversary collection is available today.
  • The remake of Panzer Dragoon is coming to Switch this winter.
  • The Netflix Dark Crystal series is getting a tie-in tactics RPG. Called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, it’s got Claymation-style graphics. Coming this year.
  • Empire Of Sin is a new game from John Romero. It’ll be out Spring 2020.

A sizzle reel showed off even more games getting ported to Switch: The Spyro the Dragon trilogy (September 3), Ni no Kuni (September 20), Minecraft Dungeons (Spring 2020), The Sinking City (fall 2019), Alien: Isolation (2019), New Super Lucky’s Tale (Fall 2019).

Other games that had already been announced but that had release date updates during the Direct: Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics (November 2019), Dead By Daylight (September 24), Dauntless (late 2019).

• Like 2

I wish the PS4 & PC editions of Dragon Quest XI would be updated for the Definitive Edition...

Don't really care about the Resident Evil ports. Already have them all for PC. Just hoping for a RE3 & Code Veronica Remake similar to the RE2Remake.

The new Zelda game was probably the highlight, but I've never played the first Breath of the Wild. Last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess.

Don't currently own a Switch, but it's likely I'll eventually get one for my daughter.

3 hours ago, Xykan said:

The Switch is starting to become a porting machine. Consolidating their handheld and console divisions is not yielding any significant results for Nintendo. Their first party output is still taking too much time to develop. 

I love the concept/idea of a home console with the ability to go hand-held, but in reality I'd probably almost never use the hand-held option of it. Same with a laptop, in which I very rarely use it away from having it plugged into an outlet. Probably partly because the battery life is shit on my laptop, but also because I just really don't have time to use it during the time I'm actually away from home at any given time.

But it's awesome to see the capability of hand-held systems being on-par with consoles after all the years of hand-helds clearly being several steps down in graphical ability, etc... like during the age of GBA, NDS, etc. Gives hope that more portable tech will be the way of the future.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, Koby said:

But it's awesome to see the capability of hand-held systems being on-par with consoles after all the years of hand-helds clearly being several steps down in graphical ability

On-par in what way exactly? Because compared to the PS4 and Xbox One (the first versions), the Switch’s graphical output is definitely inferior when looking at most games. And in hand-held mode there’s even more limitations (lower quality settings, lower resolution). I recommend you check out some comparisons on YouTube from DigitalFoundry. They know their stuff.

It’s a good hybrid for sure. Both hand-held and ‘console’ performance is acceptable most of the time, especially for official Nintendo games (third-party, not so much). But it is definitely not on-par with actual consoles like the PS4 or Xbox One.

6 hours ago, Scyrous said:

On-par in what way exactly? Because compared to the PS4 and Xbox One (the first versions), the Switch’s graphical output is definitely inferior when looking at most games. And in hand-held mode there’s even more limitations (lower quality settings, lower resolution). I recommend you check out some comparisons on YouTube from DigitalFoundry. They know their stuff.

It’s a good hybrid for sure. Both hand-held and ‘console’ performance is acceptable most of the time, especially for official Nintendo games (third-party, not so much). But it is definitely not on-par with actual consoles like the PS4 or Xbox One.

I know it's not on par with XBONE and PS4, but Nintendo has pretty much never been on-par with those two in any generation. So it's not exactly a fair comparison imo. However the Switch in hand-held mode is significantly better that any previous Nintendo home console and what I'd consider on-par with what we could have expected from Nintendo even if they didn't go the route of making it hand-held. Games are higher res than even the Wii U, which was Nintendo's last system before the Switch. So in terms of what we should have expected from a new Nintendo console, the Switch in hand-held mode is at least a step up from their last gen console.

But, you're missing the point that I intended to infer with that original comment. In comparison between say Nintendo 3DS to the Gamecube or Wii even, there is a big difference in looks and design. The fact that the Switch is both separately Nintendo's most powerful console and most powerful hand-held to date and maintains the same game library across both with very little graphical differences in most games depending on which mode of play you roll with is a massive step up in the quality of hand-held gaming. To me it was a game changer much more so than either the XBONE or PS4 in such regards. It's simply a big step in the right direction towards increasing portability of gaming.

It's true some (or rather most, if not nearly all, 3rd party) games are inferior quality on the Switch, especially the Witcher port which took a huge dump in quality. However some games, such as the FFX remaster, actually had almost no visible drop in quality in comparison to the PS4 version. It was a fairly minimal difference according to this:

Of course one could argue that because it was original a PS2 game that has just been remastered that somehow the differences would be less than something developed this generation, I still think it's a feat worth mentioning.