Psycho-Pass Anime Gets 3rd Season

Koby

4si7Ijy.jpgThe official website for the Psycho-Pass anime franchise revealed on Friday that the anime is getting a third season titled Psycho-Pass 3. The anime will air on Fuji TV's Noitamina programming block.

The anime will star Yuuki Kaji as Arata Shindō and Yūichi Nakamura as Kei Mikhail Ignatov. Naoyoshi Shiotani is returning to direct the series at Production I.G, and manga creator Akira Amano is returning as the original character designer.

The original Psycho-Pass anime premiered in 2012 and ran for 22 episodes. The 11-episode Psycho-Pass 2 television anime series then premiered in October 2014, and the Psycho-Pass movie opened in Japan in January 2015. Funimation released all three anime on home video.

The franchise also includes the newly released three-film Psycho-Pass SS or Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System project. The first film, Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System Case.1 Tsumi to Batsu (Crime and Punishment), opened in Japan on January 25. The second film, Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System Case.2 First Guardian, opened in Japan on February 15. The third film, Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System Case.3 Onshū no Kanata ni ____ (In the Realm Beyond Is ____), opened in Japan on Friday.

The franchise has inspired several manga adaptations and spinoff manga, as well as the Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness game.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Persian said:

I adored the first season of Psycho-Pass. I never got around to watching the second season, but if season 3 is coming up it looks like I'll need to catch up~

People generally hate on the 2nd season, but personally I enjoyed it. Looking forward to S3.

2 minutes ago, sauskekuran said:

unexpected. but cool. I've watched the first season and started the movie but never finished it and stared the decode but also never finished it, but will have to soon.

Why would you watch the movie without watching S2? o.O S2 is set before the movie.

1 hour ago, CyborgIcarus29 said:

He won't miss anything important if he skipped the second season tbh. The season sucked and Urobuchi didn't write it so the story is pretty much filler. 

Even though that is the general consensus by PP fans, I don't agree at all. I rated S2 the same as I rated S1, while rating the movie lower.

Whether he wrote S2 or not, the movie follows the events from it, so you'd be missing out on at least some small details. Just because you disliked it, doesn't mean everyone else will, so it's worth them giving it a shot. To me it felt very similar to S1 and it was great having more in that universe to see. Most complaints I've seen about it have to do with a certain character not being around and another character being introduced that most people hated; even though they wrote that character in a way that I believe was meant to be hated but eventually somewhat redeems themselves.

In any case, there is no indication that S3 has any involvement from Urobuchi either as far as I'm aware. So if that is your sole reason for disliking S2, you may as well be in for some major disappointment.

4 hours ago, Koby said:

Even though that is the general consensus by PP fans, I don't agree at all. I rated S2 the same as I rated S1, while rating the movie lower.

Whether he wrote S2 or not, the movie follows the events from it, so you'd be missing out on at least some small details. Just because you disliked it, doesn't mean everyone else will, so it's worth them giving it a shot. To me it felt very similar to S1 and it was great having more in that universe to see. Most complaints I've seen about it have to do with a certain character not being around and another character being introduced that most people hated; even though they wrote that character in a way that I believe was meant to be hated but eventually somewhat redeems themselves.

In any case, there is no indication that S3 has any involvement from Urobuchi either as far as I'm aware. So if that is your sole reason for disliking S2, you may as well be in for some major disappointment.

To be honest these are not the main reasons why i dislike season 2.  I disliked it because they recycled the basics of plot from season 1, but with worse characters, worse pacing and too much focus on over the top blood and gore. The writing was horrid, some fans argue that it breaks established things from S1 and the plot is pointless imo, not even the movie really makes any connections to it, and it brings absolutely nothing new to the table. So the entire season is just filler hence why i don't recommend it to anyone.

I think it's quite clear to me in hindsight why it turned out to be so underwhelming to many people. It's animated by a different studio and written and directed by a different team as Urobuchi and his team completely focused on making the movie. S2 was basically just there to gain some hype for said movie so that's why i said it's just filler. 

Season 3 will be directed by the guy who directed season 1 and written by the guy who wrote the first season with Urobuchi so i think it's in good hands.

I am cautiously excited for more Psycho-pass content.  The first season is great as-is and it ended very well, with the second season and movie feeling very much like they were in the shadow of the intrigue of the first season (I should have listened when everyone and their mother said to only watch the first season, before impulse purchasing the 2 seasons and the movie on blu-ray).  I understand they don't want to shoot the horse that just keeps on trucking, but seeing Akane almost destroy this damn AI and always falter just makes me wanna dive in and do the job she just can't finish.