‘The Punisher’ & ‘Jessica Jones’ Canceled By Netflix

Koby

Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix,” Netflix confirmed today.

3tV6DJm.jpg

“Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come,” the streamer added.

“In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones,” Netflix also made official this President’s Day. “We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others”.

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

Though the decision not to bring Punisher back for more has been rumored for weeks,  Netflix and Marvel waited until after the January 18 debuting 13-episode Season 2 had been on the streamer for several weeks before making the cancellation official.

The end of Jones comes as more of a shocker – though I hear the end of the upcoming third and final season will serve as a savory series finale.

The news of the end of Punisher and Jessica Jones follows the revelation that Walking Dead alum Bernthal is set to join New Line’s The Sopranos prequel feature, which currently has the working title of The Many Saints of Newark. In part it was because of new roles and new work like The Sopranos pic, the streamer didn’t want to have the creators and cast for either show hanging on waiting for renewals that clearly weren’t in the cards.

Bernthal took to social media this morning to offer a cryptic farewell of sorts:

After Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Daredevil were all given the chop late last year by the streamer, the unplugging of further seasons of the blood and bullet strewn Frank Castle saga should really come as no surprise. With new and old Marvel content a big component of the upcoming Disney+ streaming service, the final stage of the disentangling of the once burgeoning relationship between the House of Mouse and Netflix has now become more a matter of when and how not if.

Additionally, the Jeph Loeb-run Marvel TV inked a four-series and one special deal with the soon-to-be Disney dominated Hulu on February 11 that will surely become the new focus of the comic giant’s small screen division.

• Like 1

I would have loved to have more Punisher. I enjoyed all of the Netflix Marvel universe more than the current CW Arrowverse.

Hell all of the shows really could have used another season to tie up plotlines and whatnot.

Though they haven't outright said yes or no, they keep hinting at the possibility these shows return in some form somewhere eventually. Maybe they're testing reactions, maybe they're just giving false hope, or maybe there is secretly already plans to revive all of them on Hulu.

Just now, Duckgoose said:

I'm guessing The Punisher was cancelled because Disney wants to remove all content from Netflix and start their own streaming site?  I'll definitely be looking forward to The Many Saints of Newark

That is the general idea, but it hasn't actually been flat out stated by either party. Netflix did say Daredevil was one of the highest watched series on their platform though, so it being canceled certainly wasn't due to lack of viewers.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved both seasons of the Punisher.  Very violent. I think if there was such a thing as super heroes and villains the heroes would be like the Punisher. For example just look at the Batman comics and cartoons.  The formula is bad guy harms and or murders innocent people, he finds out who it is, he beats up the bad guy, the bad guy gets locked up and later that bad guy escapes to harm and kill more innocent people. What actual hero in their right mind would tolerate the bad guys they helped capture constantly escaping and doing the same shit over and over again? They wouldn't be spewing the line of they can't take a life because it would make them like the bad guy nonsense.