Seagate barracuda

Midghost

As Koby said, Barracudas have the highest failure rates. However, lately Seagate has been doing better. They also started a data recovery service on their drives for ones that do fail.

I do prefer Western Digital (WD) and HGST, the latter also being part of Western Digital. Red is their RAID/NAS drives. For what you want, especially considering such small storage, Blue should be sufficient. However, if you want larger drives for reliable storage, RAID 1 a couple reds for redundancy and reliability.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Koby said:

Seagate Barracuda's are the worst drive on the market. Hell the 3TB Barracuda's had something like an 80% failure rate ~5 years ago.

I stick to Western Digital drives only. Though I hear HGST drives do extremely well.

Absolutely agree! I rebooted my PC last year only to find that 1 of 3 x 3TB Barracuda's no longer existed in this dimension. Dead dead dead, and after only 1 year in very well cooled system too! Lost years of data instantly. But really I lost it when I purchased those lousy drives.

Yeah, I would say go Western Digital Black or Gold. Also, I think that Hitachi may have actually been recently rated as the most reliable SATA III HDDs. But WD seems pretty solid. I am slowly replacing my Baracuda's with WD Black's.

Meantime wincing a lot every time I reboot wondering about the 6 TB of remaining data. lol

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 8:16 PM, Garo7 said:

Absolutely agree! I rebooted my PC last year only to find that 1 of 3 x 3TB Barracuda's no longer existed in this dimension. Dead dead dead, and after only 1 year in very well cooled system too! Lost years of data instantly. But really I lost it when I purchased those lousy drives.

Yeah, I would say go Western Digital Black or Gold. Also, I think that Hitachi may have actually been recently rated as the most reliable SATA III HDDs. But WD seems pretty solid. I am slowly replacing my Baracuda's with WD Black's.

Meantime wincing a lot every time I reboot wondering about the 6 TB of remaining data. lol

Heat isn't necessarily the reason drives fail. Other than obvious shocks to it, hard drive disks are mechanic parts. Over time, they will need to be replaced; it is inevitable. However, failing early is just poor design.

• Like 1

Sure. But barring any other environmental or usage issues (such you mention rough handling), which in my case there were none after I received them, heat is the most commonly ignored and prevalent cause of excessive wear and early failure in HDDs. I was merely indicating it wasn't a big factor in this case. This particular model though has had a really terrible failure rate over the entire industry from personal to enterprise use. In some cases up to 30%. Basically its just a terrible piece of hardware. There was a class action law suit pending at one time even.

I have read that their new designs are better but I would be very reluctant to go with Seagate again.

• Like 1